PDA

View Full Version : Question about milk and carbs

YoMaMa84
05-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Today is my no carb day. I normally mix my protien shake with milk (12g of carbs). Should I stay away from the milk today? or is it minimal amount of carbs to not really matter?

jorgerod
05-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Today is my no carb day. I normally mix my protien shake with milk (12g of carbs). Should I stay away from the milk today? or is it minimal amount of carbs to not really matter?

Are you actually trying to have a 0 Carb day or a low carb day? If it is a low carb day I don't see why not. If it's a 0 carb day then I would substitute with water. Man 0 carbs must suck, I mean I'm a solid meat eater but no veggies or grains to complement is hard!!

Jorge

mjb108
05-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Skim milk has very little calories so I don't see a problem if you use a little bit
Go for it

PJR23
05-05-2010, 06:27 AM
I would prob just mix with water for today. Or sometimes i will do half milk half water since the milk gives the shake a little more richness.

phal
05-05-2010, 06:28 AM
?

No carb day!!! = 0

Milk = has teh carbs

Shud I drink milk??

I r confused.

YoMaMa84
05-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Are you actually trying to have a 0 Carb day or a low carb day? If it is a low carb day I don't see why not. If it's a 0 carb day then I would substitute with water. Man 0 carbs must suck, I mean I'm a solid meat eater but no veggies or grains to complement is hard!!

Jorge

0 carbs. and yes it really sucks, but i eat my leafy greens

I would prob just mix with water for today. Or sometimes i will do half milk half water since the milk gives the shake a little more richness.

Yea, I do the milk for a little richness....but i think i'm gonna just stick with the water for today.

?

No carb day!!! = 0

Milk = has teh carbs

Shud I drink milk??

I r confused.

serious question calls for serious answer.....we're all learning, no need for the sarcasm.

phal
05-05-2010, 06:40 AM
I'm being sarcastic to emphasis how silly your question is.

It's like me posting that today is a no fat day (0) so how many tbsp's of peanut butter should I eat.

Reminds me not too long ago someone posted about not wanting to drink alcohol so what soda should they consume. Then, few posts later, what alcohol should I drink since I don't want to drink soda.

Anyways, serious answer?

Low carb is mainly a fad, unless you're doing KETO (to each his own) - and if today is a LOW carb day and not a NO carb day, 12 carbs, assuming you don't consume another direct source - is fine.

Actually, carbs are fine. Why are you doing no/low carbs? =[

snorkelman
05-05-2010, 06:40 AM
The question whether you meant "low carb" was probably designed to teach you in the Socratic style. It is nearly impossible to get zero carbs.

I assume that you are doing keto and are trying to stay below a certain threshold in order to stay in ketosis, right? You don't need zero in order to achieve that. But anyway, most people on keto skip milk and accept the reality that they will still be getting some carbs during the day from other sources and they basically strive to keep out all obvious carb choices, such as those in milk.

jorgerod
05-05-2010, 06:44 AM
The question whether you meant "low carb" was probably designed to teach you in the Socratic style. It is nearly impossible to get zero carbs

You Da Man!!

Jorge

YoMaMa84
05-05-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm being sarcastic to emphasis how silly your question is.

It's like me posting that today is a no fat day (0) so how many tbsp's of peanut butter should I eat.

Reminds me not too long ago someone posted about not wanting to drink alcohol so what soda should they consume. Then, few posts later, what alcohol should I drink since I don't want to drink soda.

Anyways, serious answer?

Low carb is mainly a fad, unless you're doing KETO (to each his own) - and if today is a LOW carb day and not a NO carb day, 12 carbs, assuming you don't consume another direct source - is fine.

Actually, carbs are fine. Why are you doing no/low carbs? =[

How is it a stupid question if I really dont know the answer? i'm trying to learn as much as possible.....if you thought it was a stupid question....then ignore it.

However, I appreciate your answer. Sticking to no milk.

The question whether you meant "low carb" was probably designed to teach you in the Socratic style. It is nearly impossible to get zero carbs.

I assume that you are doing keto and are trying to stay below a certain threshold in order to stay in ketosis, right? You don't need zero in order to achieve that. But anyway, most people on keto skip milk and accept the reality that they will still be getting some carbs during the day from other sources and they basically strive to keep out all obvious carb choices, such as those in milk.

I'm carb cycling. (low carb/no carb/high carb cycle)...no keto. I also know that it's almost impossible to go absolutley no carb if you eat veggies. Based on some readings that i've done.....some foods that have traces of carbs are fine, so i wanted to know if milk is included too (since it is a small amount of carbs)

snorkelman
05-05-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm carb cycling. (low carb/no carb/high carb cycle)...no keto. ...so i wanted to know if milk is included too (since it is a small amount of carbs)

Take a look at this article which sets out guidelines for carb cycling.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

I did not see milk listed as an approved food, but I did see cottage cheese (whole milk) listed. Maybe someone who does this type of carb cycling can give you their opinion, but IMO if you are following that type of diet, then on your no carb days, you would NOT drink milk.