PDA

View Full Version : Natural vs Sweetened PB

Morag2
05-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Hey all,

I just recently bought a jar of the all natural, nothing in the ingredients list but peanuts kind of stuff and I'm not sure if I like it. It's REALLY sticky, the oil building up on top is annoying, and it doesn't spread or taste as nice.

So how big of a deal is it to have that over the kind I used to have (ingredients were PB, sugar, salt, and hydrogenated vegetable oil). I know that hydrogenated crap isn't good for me, but is the amount in peanut butter substantial? Is it worth getting used to the natural kind?

-Morag

jakedasn4ke
05-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Hey all,

I just recently bought a jar of the all natural, nothing in the ingredients list but peanuts kind of stuff and I'm not sure if I like it. It's REALLY sticky, the oil building up on top is annoying, and it doesn't spread or taste as nice.

So how big of a deal is it to have that over the kind I used to have (ingredients were PB, sugar, salt, and hydrogenated vegetable oil). I know that hydrogenated crap isn't good for me, but is the amount in peanut butter substantial? Is it worth getting used to the natural kind?

-Morag

First, you really have to mix the PB up before you start using it. Make sure the oil reaches the bottom. Second, there are some really good tasted natural PB's, you just have to experiment. I LOVE Natural PB but some brands I find totaly disgusting.IF you live around a Kroger I recommend their brand its actually very good. And yes hydrogenated oil is terrible for you.

snorkelman
05-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Why not get a middle of the road option rather that limiting your choices to only the extremes?

I also dislike the stirring, storing in the fridge, upside down, stuff that accompanies the natural stuff. Take a look at the ingredients in Skippy natural and see if you are fine with them.

http://www.fooducate.com/blog/wp-content/media/SkippyNaturalPeanutButter.jpg

A key difference between this and the "regular" PB is the hydrogenated fats. Regular PB has them, and this doesn't. This stuff spreads great and can be stored in the cupboard rather than the fridge. Keep in mind that there are a lot of PB-nazis out there who will declare this inferior to PB that only includes the ingredients of peanuts and salt, but IMO unless you are eating a tub of PB a day (in which case you have other problems) the amounts of palm oil and sugar in Skippy natural are just fine.

I realize that I am on an island with my opinions about this brand of PB.

selffirst
05-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Here's a tip....when storing your natty peanut butter turn the jar upside down.....it will then naturally blend itself.....Self

mickel32
05-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Why not get a middle of the road option rather that limiting your choices to only the extremes?

I also dislike the stirring, storing in the fridge, upside down, stuff that accompanies the natural stuff. Take a look at the ingredients in Skippy natural and see if you are fine with them.

A key difference between this and the "regular" PB is the hydrogenated fats. Regular PB has them, and this doesn't. This stuff spreads great and can be stored in the cupboard rather than the fridge. Keep in mind that there are a lot of PB-nazis out there who will declare this inferior to PB that only includes the ingredients of peanuts and salt, but IMO unless you are eating a tub of PB a day (in which case you have other problems) the amounts of palm oil and sugar in Skippy natural are just fine.

LOVE that stuff... so delicious!

i use it sometimes, but 90% of my PB is ORGANIC NATTY PB with peanuts and salt only (maybe sum peanut oil). I eat one of that size ^^ jar in ~1-3 days so i never refridgerate it anyways tho it says to (cuz fridgerator makes it difficult to work with).

moojeni
05-04-2010, 05:23 AM
I ate a lot of sweetened PB in the past (from many brands) and almost all of them are nasty. Very salty, usually. Skippy is one of the tastiest, but I prefer any natural PB instead. I find natural PB SO good. I can eat a whole jar and not get tired of it!

ildevilon
05-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Stop eating any kind of PB for some months, then start over again but only with natural PB, you will like it so much :P

Nutshell20
05-04-2010, 06:13 AM

I love this stuff. Problem is I eat way too much of it. I found the ingredients to be pretty good, and as you stated no mixing or clumping BS as with some natty pb"s.

Tom26.2
05-04-2010, 06:22 AM
There are sweetened PB's that ARE NATURAL. Natural does not mean unsweetened. Natural means that it does not have the hydrogenated oils in it.

gottalift78
05-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Skippy natural is the way to go. Great ingredient profile, taste great.

I made the wrong choice and bought regular skippy after about a year of using natural. You can taste the difference and the hydrogenated oils make the bread nasty. I will never eat that **** again.

UofACATS
05-04-2010, 07:28 AM
The grocery store I shop at has a bulk food section where there's a machine that grinds up the peanuts to make peanut butter. It's perfect. No junk and no separation. They have almond too which is even better as a topping. I'd look around for something like this.

Tom26.2
05-04-2010, 07:54 AM
The grocery store I shop at has a bulk food section where there's a machine that grinds up the peanuts to make peanut butter. It's perfect. No junk and no separation. They have almond too which is even better as a topping. I'd look around for something like this.

+1 Almond butter is the bomb!

CajunPballer
05-04-2010, 09:02 AM

We have a store that does this as well. However, the machine secretly adds ingredients. All kinds of nasty stuff in mine. That, or they just used the container of a different PB.

mike0o2
05-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Skippy natural is the way to go. Great ingredient profile, taste great.

I made the wrong choice and bought regular skippy after about a year of using natural. You can taste the difference and the hydrogenated oils make the bread nasty. I will never eat that **** again.

This is the brand I buy, I love it.