PDA

View Full Version : Counting calories on the eliptical machine

Flyin Ryan
05-02-2010, 03:31 PM
99% of the time when I do cardio in the gym, I do some interval training on the treadmill. However, today I decided to switch it up and did 15 minutes on the eliptical. It was one of the nicer machines, so I entered my stats and whatnot... and put it on level 5 [out of 10].

After the 15 minutes was up, it told me I burned 430 calories.

My question is: How much stock do you put in to that?

Don't get me wrong, I definitely worked up a nice sweat and all of that good stuff. I just highly doubt I burned that many calories.

Anyway, thoughts?

phal
05-02-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm not even sure it's possible to burn 400+ calories in 15 minutes doing anything. :P

A more accurate way would be to wear a heart monitor. You'd honestly be lucky if you burned like 120~ calories.

Holyspokes
05-02-2010, 03:44 PM
zero stock.

Ryanmckd
05-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Highly doubtful

Flyin Ryan
05-02-2010, 04:29 PM
That's what I thought.

ChecksandGiggles
05-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm not even sure it's possible to burn 400+ calories in 15 minutes doing anything. :P

Nonstop squats/deadlifts with appreciable weight? Pulling a truck?

Then again, if you can pull a truck for 15 minutes, the truck's too damn light

b3llo38
05-02-2010, 06:55 PM
from what i have been told elliptical machines are pretty accurate, well the newer ones(like at my gym) ... i put my age, 22, and weight, about 173ishh. mine has heart rate monitors on the handles of it so its constantly giving me my heart rate.. i notice i burned around 12-17calories per minutes depending on how intense i go... i did 20 minutes the other day and burned around 300 calories, not to bad, then i usualy do a light 5 minutes run befor and after...

just make sure youre constantly keeping your heart rate and it should be accurate...

kmac27
05-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Don't bother with those calories, its a bunch of bull. Most companies inflate their equations so people are happy they can burn 600 calories in thirty minutes doing an activity that doesn't come close to 600 calories. Online you can find better calculators. Important factors are... Body fat percentage, height, weight, age, and sex. If a calculator doesn't contain a few of these the error can be pretty big. Even heart rate monitors are pretty inaccurate. If you want to go by a more accurate measurement I'd go by watts. Its your power output which if it does change it shows your putting more work into your exercise program. Its what professional cyclists use a lot during training rides.

kmac27
05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
from what i have been told elliptical machines are pretty accurate, well the newer ones(like at my gym) ... i put my age, 22, and weight, about 173ishh. mine has heart rate monitors on the handles of it so its constantly giving me my heart rate.. i notice i burned around 12-17calories per minutes depending on how intense i go... i did 20 minutes the other day and burned around 300 calories, not to bad, then i usualy do a light 5 minutes run befor and after...

just make sure youre constantly keeping your heart rate and it should be accurate...

Training at the same heart rate isn't necessarily a good thing. Your heart rate can fluctuate pretty vastly depending on how far into the training week it is, how hydrated you are, how much energy you have that day, and even how long ago you ate.

I think for each percent of body water loss leads to an increase in heart rate from 5-10 BPM.