PDA

View Full Version : Eating/Nutrition Regimen

militarypoliceX
04-29-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm new to BB, and looking to lose around 40 lbs. of fat but at the same time put on a lot of muscle. I am on a workout plan where I go to the gym 4 days a week, working Triceps/abs/calves 1st day, shoulders/traps/abs/calves 2nd day, biceps/forearms/chest/abs/calves 3rd day, legs(hams, glutes, etc.)/abs/calves 4th day. I haven't committed a day to cardio yet, but have been thinking about it, I know that would help. My biggest problem is WHAT to eat, WHEN to eat, and HOW MUCH to eat. I hear different things from everybody, some saying red meat is good, some saying chicken is best, and I have the hardest time with what to eat and when, and I know that this is one of the biggest parts of me achieving my goals. Is there anyone who can help?

determined4000
04-29-2010, 08:53 PM
1. Figure out calorie need
2. Figure out protein need (1-1.5g/lb) x 4 = calories from protein
3. Figure out fat need (.4-.5g/lb) x 9 = calories from fat
4. Subtract 2 and 3 from 1. Add in whatever you want (probably mostly carbs) to get your remaining calories.

My general guide to sources
I. Lean Protein-
a. primary sources- chicken breast, turkey breast, eggs, egg whites, egg beaters, chunk light tuna (water packed), whey, casein, cottage cheese
b. Secondary sources- lean beef, lean ham, salmon, lean ground meat, soy
II. Fats
a. Visible Fats- Nut Butters, Nuts, flax, fish oil, olive oil, canola oil, dressings (without added sugar or hydrogenated oil), avocado, Promise butter spread
b. Limited sources- yolks, cheese, red meat
c. Low carb Foods (comprising at least half of fat intake)-Low carb baking mix, low carb (whole rain) pita/wraps, omega enriched products. (should be very high in fiber, low in sat. fat). Check nutrition labels (these should be nutrient dense not junk/empty calorie low quality foods)
d. Saturated Fat- Should comprise no more than of total fat intake (polyunsaturated should make up at least ).
e. Trans Fat- Avoided
III. Carbohydrates
a. Primary- Fibrous Veggies- broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, greens, asparagus, green beans, peppers
b. Primary- Low fat dairy, fruit, whole grains (breads, oats, cereals etc.)
c. Secondary- Starchier carbs (potatoes, pasta, rice)
d. Avoided- Processed/refined sources, High, fructose corn syrup, sugar
What has little to no effect beyond personal preference?
-Meal timing other than around workouts (ex. Food X will not cause weight gain because you ate it after 6 p.m.)
-Meal frequency (more meals does not speed up metabolism, total calories and macro ratios determine TEF)
-Macronutrient Percentages/ratios (totals are the important factor)

militarypoliceX
04-29-2010, 09:07 PM
thanks man, I really appreciate this. So my calorie, protein and fat needs, whatever they end up being, that's for one day right?

determined4000
04-29-2010, 09:11 PM
thanks man, I really appreciate this. So my calorie, protein and fat needs, whatever they end up being, that's for one day right?

figure out how many calories you have been eating on average
then subtract 10%-15% from that to get your calories for the day to lose weight
get in at least 240g protein and 100g of fat, the rest can be carbs

vgalvan18
04-29-2010, 09:15 PM
What D4000 said was great! This might help too. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

militarypoliceX
04-29-2010, 09:26 PM
cool, thanks to both of you.

militarypoliceX
04-29-2010, 09:31 PM
So is it best to get the casein protein like they sell on here, or from a natural source?

addictR3
04-29-2010, 09:50 PM
drikning milk is just as good IMO. cottage cheese or ricotta is good too. I think Ricotta is more whey :) but yeah just eat good and train hard and be paitent rome wasn't built in a day !!!

militarypoliceX
04-29-2010, 10:23 PM
alright, I'll try those, thanks bro.