PDA

View Full Version : Calories In > Calories Out - Except For Bulimics??

MadeUnderground
04-28-2010, 10:48 PM
So I was watching Intervention, basically the show about people with various kinds of addictions.
This young lady was bulimic and it said that she ate 24,000 calories a day when she binged.
She weighed 92 pounds and I believe she was around 5'7+ tall.

Now, how is she able to be so skinny but still consume 24,000 calories on a daily basis? She did do a lot of exercise, but she has no muscle mass at all.
Is it possible that all her cardio burned 24,000, including even a little more to make her lose weight? lol?

Anyway just wanted to hear some thoughts. Studies are appreciated.

cheeseandrice
04-28-2010, 10:55 PM
do you know what bulimia is? you binge then puke it all up

even michael phelps only racked up about 12k calories a day

no way this bitch is burning over 20k. impossible

harry34
04-28-2010, 10:57 PM
So I was watching Intervention, basically the show about people with various kinds of addictions.
This young lady was bulimic and it said that she ate 24,000 calories a day when she binged.
She weighed 92 pounds and I believe she was around 5'7+ tall.

Now, how is she able to be so skinny but still consume 24,000 calories on a daily basis? She did do a lot of exercise, but she has no muscle mass at all.
Is it possible that all her cardio burned 24,000, including even a little more to make her lose weight? lol?

Anyway just wanted to hear some thoughts. Studies are appreciated.

If you're bulimic you are going to purge (i.e. throw up) the food before it gets the chance to fully digest. Yes, some of it will initially digest, but if you throw up soon enough, almost none of it will. So just because the food goes in her mouth, it doesn't mean all of it will contribute to her calories per day if she throws it up before it digests. Calories in, calories out still holds--it's just she's not getting as many calories in because she is throwing up her food.

MadeUnderground
04-28-2010, 10:59 PM
do you know what bulimia is? you binge then puke it all up

even michael phelps only racked up about 12k calories a day

no way this bitch is burning over 20k. impossible

Yeah I know what bulimia is. Its just that this particular girls pattern was to binge first THEN eat, so I thought the food would still be in there, but the below comment addresses that point.

If you're bulimic you are going to purge (i.e. throw up) the food before it gets the chance to fully digest. Yes, some of it will initially digest, but if you throw up soon enough, almost none of it will. So just because the food goes in her mouth, it doesn't mean all of it will contribute to her calories per day if she throws it up before it digests. Calories in, calories out still holds--it's just she's not getting as many calories in because she is throwing up her food.

Thanks. Repped. :D