PDA

View Full Version : Only the MLB and the NFL

bbacn123
04-26-2010, 08:45 PM
have seen the worst seeded team in their playoff setting win the championship

You know what that means? The rest of you need cut down the number of teams who make the playoffs (NBA I'm looking at you)

89FoxBody
04-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Pretty sure a team with a losing record won the MLS cup last year.

Sorry, forgot that soccer isn't a real sport.

bbacn123
04-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Pretty sure a team with a losing record won the MLS cup last year.

Sorry, forgot that soccer isn't a real sport.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/3762931996_54d7340559.jpg

bbacn123
04-26-2010, 09:09 PM
bump for importance

NorthTexasBB
04-26-2010, 09:12 PM
I actually think the nfl should bump up the teams that make the playoffs...alot of 9-7 teams dont make it while other do just because of the division.

NewYorkMets
04-26-2010, 09:13 PM
the knicks made it to the finals in '99 as an 8th seed but yeah we'll never see a 8th seed win a title. you are most likely going to see a 16th seed beat a # 1 seed in the ncaa tourney before you see a 8th seed with a title in the nba.

Greg1983
04-26-2010, 09:13 PM
More teams making the playoffs gives fans of ****ty teams something to cheer for beyond the first month of the season. It's good for the league financially. And as a fan of a terrible baseball team, I am completely in favor of MLB adding an extra round.

cor030
04-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I actually think the nfl should bump up the teams that make the playoffs...to many 10-6 teams get shafted every year while a 9-7 team makes it.

Nahhhh. NFL playoff system is perfect IMO.

The last few weeks of a season where teams are battling for their division or a wildcard spot = epic.

bbacn123
04-26-2010, 09:15 PM
More teams making the playoffs gives fans of ****ty teams something to cheer for beyond the first month of the season. It's good for the league financially. And as a fan of a terrible baseball team, I am completely in favor of MLB adding an extra round.

Not what this thread is about

NEGGED

Greg1983
04-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Nahhhh. NFL playoff system is perfect IMO.

The last few weeks of a season where teams are battling for their division or a wildcard spot = epic.

Football is my favorite sport to watch, but I still hate byes.

Greg1983
04-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Not what this thread is about

NEGGED

http://zeniamai.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/angry_wet_cat.jpg

NorthTexasBB
04-26-2010, 09:21 PM

If you look at last year there were alot of decent teams that didnt make the playoffs that could have pulled some upsets simply because they were either in a division where other 9-7 teams were or other teams (saints/packers/colts/cowboys/vikings) had outstanding seasons and lost a spot.

Namely houston and atlanta I think could have stunned a couple teams is given the chance.

Greg1983
04-26-2010, 09:25 PM
If you look at last year there were alot of decent teams that didnt make the playoffs that could have pulled some upsets simply because they were either in a division where other 9-7 teams were or other teams (saints/packers/colts/cowboys/vikings) had outstanding seasons and lost a spot.

Namely houston and atlanta I think could have stunned a couple teams.

I'm too lazy to dig up the old standings so I'm likely inaccurate but tell me these games wouldn't have been more fun than some lame bye week:

Houston-San Diego
Pittsburgh-Indy
Atlanta-Minnesota
San Fran-New Orleans

Toss on the other wild card games and that would be one hell of a weekend. Gambler's dream.

NorthTexasBB
04-26-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm too lazy to dig up the old standings so I'm likely inaccurate but tell me these games wouldn't have been more fun than some lame bye week:

Houston-San Diego
Pittsburgh-Indy
Atlanta-Minnesota
San Fran-New Orleans

Toss on the other wild card games and that would be one hell of a weekend. Gambler's dream.

I would have liked to see the titans in there somewhere in the mix...they had an outstanding run that no one saw coming, prob would have made it in if they didnt have to play the colts twice

The_Albatross
04-26-2010, 10:13 PM
unlike the typical first round playoff series in the nba, the nhl pretty much always has quality first round series and including them makes winning the cup that much better

and the mlb needs to either expand the playoffs or cut down the regular season, the 5 game series goes to whichever team is hot at that time, there is almost no way to recover from a bad game 1.

jacketfan
04-26-2010, 11:47 PM
unlike the typical first round playoff series in the nba, the nhl pretty much always has quality first round series and including them makes winning the cup that much better

and the mlb needs to either expand the playoffs or cut down the regular season, the 5 game series goes to whichever team is hot at that time, there is almost no way to recover from a bad game 1.

the nba first round only normally sucks because the young up and coming lower seeds never get respect from the refs against the top contenders.