PDA

View Full Version : no carbs at night

ryguy10493
04-26-2010, 07:27 PM
if i take away my carbs at nighttime( about 5pm) can this cause me to not make gains in terms of my strength. is there anyway i can loose some fat for summer without my strength going down.

Ryanmckd
04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Why don't you try it and find out? Anyone here can say yes it will or no it won't, but unless you try it yourself you'll never know.

Tom26.2
04-26-2010, 07:33 PM
No carbs at night is Bullsh*t. If it is within your calorie needs for your goals, then it's fine.

goldmank
04-26-2010, 07:33 PM
if you don't want to lose muscle then just maintain your protein. that is your biggest concern. I normally have my carbs earlier in the day but from what I have heard it doesn't really matter aslong as it fits into your macros

jakedasn4ke
04-26-2010, 07:34 PM
ya pretty much broscience

RealMenDeadLift
04-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Why would you stop eating carbs at 5 PM?

determined4000
04-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Why would you stop eating carbs at 5 PM?

because carbs are scared of the dark and hide in your stomach as fat once the sun goes down

jakedasn4ke
04-26-2010, 07:39 PM
because carbs are scared of the dark and hide in your stomach as fat once the sun goes down

lmao. classic.

Flyin Ryan
04-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Brb, eating 309g of carbs after 8pm and not getting fat.

Merial20
04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
brb, eating 309g of carbs after 8pm and not getting fat.
lol

jakedasn4ke
04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Brb, eating 309g of carbs after 8pm and not getting fat.

jealous.

Flyin Ryan
04-26-2010, 07:44 PM
jealous.

No.
Intermittent Fasting.
=D

jakedasn4ke
04-26-2010, 07:45 PM
No.
Intermittent Fasting.
=D

ah. how you liking that so far?

Tom26.2
04-26-2010, 07:49 PM

lmao!

determined4000
04-26-2010, 07:49 PM
No.
Intermittent Fasting.
=D

ditto here
15 or so months in
love it

kmac27
04-26-2010, 07:52 PM
No carbs at night is a funny weight loss scheme. Its not carbs that make you retain fat, Its excess calories that make you retain fat. I eat carbs as night no problem. If you are really worried about it why not eat veggies at night that have little amount of carbs. You gotta have some in every meal, just like protein.

Flyin Ryan
04-26-2010, 07:53 PM
ah. how you liking that so far?

Oh I love it. I've been doing it for 3 or so weeks so far, and it is tremendously convenient for my schedule.

I work 9-4 monday thru friday, so instead of trying to eat at work... I say screw it, go directly to the gym, and the feast begins once I get home around 6-6:30.

RealMenDeadLift
04-26-2010, 07:54 PM
ditto here
15 or so months in
love it

It is amazing stuff, you don't want to ever go back. It has allowed me to completely drop calorie counting. I just eat throughout the feeding window until I am content and my gains have never been as good while staying lean.

goldmank
04-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Oh I love it. I've been doing it for 3 or so weeks so far, and it is tremendously convenient for my schedule.

I work 9-4 monday thru friday, so instead of trying to eat at work... I say screw it, go directly to the gym, and the feast begins once I get home around 6-6:30.

It is amazing stuff, you don't want to ever go back. It has allowed me to completely drop calorie counting. I just eat throughout the feeding window until I am content and my gains have never been as good while staying lean.

can someone aware me SPECIFICALLY what IF is? I know what it stands for and the basics of it. I want to get lean but build muscle is this the best way of doing it?

Flyin Ryan
04-26-2010, 08:06 PM
can someone aware me SPECIFICALLY what IF is? I know what it stands for and the basics of it. I want to get lean but build muscle is this the best way of doing it?

Pretty much, it's fasting for a period of at least 16 hours (or longer) and having a specific eating window in which you're required to get in your calories for the day.

During the fasted state, you're not allowed to eat anything... and you can drink water, black coffee, or diet soda if you so choose.

You can read more about it on BB.com or on various articles.

A good website to learn more about IF is http://www.leangains.com

ryguy10493
04-26-2010, 08:12 PM

your a *** dude im just trying to get some help. you dont have to try to be a smart ass about it

determined4000
04-26-2010, 08:13 PM
I want to get lean but build muscle is this the best way of doing it?

no just 1 approach
(calories in vs calories out) + workout intensity = results

determined4000
04-26-2010, 08:15 PM
your a *** dude im just trying to get some help. you dont have to try to be a smart ass about it

why so red?

RealMenDeadLift
04-26-2010, 08:16 PM

Calm down chief

A simple search would have answered your question a hundred times over.

goldmank
04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
no just 1 approach

well I am doing it and I am seeing awesome results

kmac27
04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
no just 1 approach

Calories in calories out doesn't work. Each nutrient requires a certain amount of energy to break down in the body. Its a science, not a simple math equation.

You say calories in calories out only when you have eaten enough protein and limited your fats. Its just more complicated than calories in vs calories out. Exchange all of your carbs for fats and tell me how you do with that one.

jrsonico
04-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Calm down chief

A simple search would have answered your question a hundred times over.

here. read from top to bottom.

http://sg.search.yahoo.com/search?vc=&p=carbs+after+5pm&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-712

RealMenDeadLift
04-26-2010, 08:19 PM
well I am doing it and I am seeing awesome results

It is very effective in allowing one to be flexible with their diet and people who do it tend to enjoy it way more than conventional eating frequency, increasing the percentage of adherence.

determined4000
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Calories in calories out doesn't work. Each nutrient requires a certain amount of energy to break down in the body. Its a science, not a simple math equation.

You say calories in calories out only when you have eaten enough protein and limited your fats. Its just more complicated than calories in vs calories out. Exchange all of your carbs for fats and tell me how you do with that one.

allow me to elaborate then
Dietary minimums
1. 1g/lb bodyweight in COMPLETE proteins (when other food sources are added you will probably end up with at least 1.5g/lb, higher ned if lean)
2. 0.4-0.5g/ lb bodyweight in fat (Higher end if lean and Focus on EFAs)
3. Servings of Veggies (Although there is no physiological need for carbohydrates, Servings of veggies is a good way to get at least a baseline level of micronutrients, vitamins, fiber, etc. through diet).
Fill out the rest of your caloric intake with additional carbs (and/or more fat and protein based on preference)
My general guide to sources
I. Lean Protein-
a. primary sources- chicken breast, turkey breast, eggs, egg whites, egg beaters, chunk light tuna (water packed), whey, casein, cottage cheese
b. Secondary sources- lean beef, lean ham, salmon, lean ground meat, soy
II. Fats
a. Visible Fats- Nut Butters, Nuts, flax, fish oil, olive oil, canola oil, dressings (without added sugar or hydrogenated oil), avocado, Promise butter spread
b. Limited sources- yolks, cheese, red meat
c. Low carb Foods (comprising at least half of fat intake)-Low carb baking mix, low carb (whole rain) pita/wraps, omega enriched products. (should be very high in fiber, low in sat. fat). Check nutrition labels (these should be nutrient dense not junk/empty calorie low quality foods)
d. Saturated Fat- Should comprise no more than of total fat intake (polyunsaturated should make up at least ).
e. Trans Fat- Avoided
III. Carbohydrates
a. Primary- Fibrous Veggies- broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, greens, asparagus, green beans, peppers
b. Primary- Low fat dairy, fruit, whole grains (breads, oats, cereals etc.)
c. Secondary- Starchier carbs (potatoes, pasta, rice)
d. Avoided- Processed/refined sources, High, fructose corn syrup, sugar
What has little to no effect beyond personal preference?
-Meal timing other than around workouts (ex. Food X will not cause weight gain because you ate it after 6 p.m.)
-Meal frequency (more meals does not speed up metabolism, total calories and macro ratios determine TEF)
-Macronutrient Percentages/ratios (totals are the important factor)

wakingmalice
04-26-2010, 08:21 PM

keto diet..cough cough.

ChecksandGiggles
04-26-2010, 08:22 PM
I like to refill glycogen stores as I sleep

determined4000
04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
I like to refill glycogen stores as I sleep

oo, an IV. Good thinking.

jrsonico
04-26-2010, 08:25 PM
i think he's doin good. so i thnk he knows what he's doin.
http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/ryan_cerrato.htm
rofl.

goldmank
04-26-2010, 08:27 PM
well I can tell you just by monitoring my calories it has caused me to eat a lot healthier therefore getting the proper amount of proteins/carbs/fats and now that my workouts are intense and I plan to add HIIT I am sure to see results.

and btw thanks determined for the overview of calories in vs. calories out, now I have something to refer to whenever I have any questions haha

ryguy10493
04-26-2010, 08:27 PM
here. read from top to bottom.

http://sg.search.yahoo.com/search?vc=&p=carbs+after+5pm&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-712

thanks man:)

ChecksandGiggles
04-26-2010, 08:28 PM
oo, an IV. Good thinking.

It's like this, brah:

5pm: 3 bowls of pasta
7pm: gallon of ice cream
9pm: 8 cups brown rice
11pm: gallon of milk
midnight: hook up the IV with honey into my arm

glycogen stores be so full when I wake up

determined4000
04-26-2010, 08:30 PM
It's like this, brah:

5pm: 3 bowls of pasta
7pm: gallon of ice cream
9pm: 8 cups brown rice
11pm: gallon of milk
midnight: hook up the IV with honey into my arm

glycogen stores be so full when I wake up

I am assuming you meant Chocolate, coffee or strawberry sweetened milk, right?

ChecksandGiggles
04-26-2010, 08:31 PM
I am assuming you meant Chocolate, coffee or strawberry sweetened milk, right?

Yeah, but on carb up days I usually just drink three gallons.

determined4000
04-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah, but on carb up days I usually just drink three gallons.

One of each flavor. Good thinking. repped

jrsonico
04-26-2010, 08:41 PM
thanks man:)

welcome :) gdluck

aussieangie
04-26-2010, 08:52 PM
I train at night and my post post meal is at 10pm.I have carbs at this time and it hasn't affected me so far as long as I watch my cals throughout the day.
The no carbs at night is a load of crap I think. I am still being told not to east my oats at that time, but I love em and I want them..lol :)

Insight
04-26-2010, 09:00 PM

There are lots of little snags to the blind "cals in vs cals out" model... the varying thermogenic effect of the different macronutrients is probably the weakest of them all, considering you're talking about OCD bodybuilders who generally keep their protein intake constant from day to day.