PDA

View Full Version : 40/40/20 ??? Reps for help

DaviMack
04-25-2010, 10:43 PM
im having a hard time getting this diet thing down after reading around i hear alot of people say keep carbs low (and aot of people against it) and after watching the video trainer on the super site of men 20-39 losing fat he is giving a 40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fat now i know alot of things on the forums are bro science so i would like to know what worked for you guys not what you heard or seen just what you have done im 240 5'9 and 20 years old if its needed to know i not asking for a complete plan just a direction of what worked your any of you personally

Thanks for any helps

determined4000
04-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Ratios are irrelevant and need is bodyweight based
1. Figure out calorie need
2. Figure out protein need (1-1.5g/lb) x 4 = calories from protein
3. Figure out fat need (.4-.5g/lb) x 9 = calories from fat
4. Subtract 2 and 3 from 1. Add in whatever you want (probably mostly carbs) to get your remaining calories.

since you are overweight use LBM rather than total bodyweight

g85
04-25-2010, 10:48 PM
I still have a litte fat on the stomach to get rid of...what's worked so far though is carb reduction. When I cut out most of my evening carbs/sugars then I start to see a difference. Usually just oatmeal for breakfast and then rest of carbs from fruit with some carbs at lunch once in a while. I'll cheat on Saturdays but not go overboard or sometimes Friday night is pizza night...I'm also working hard to get the mid morning and mid afternoon snack in. whether its a health bar, banana or bag of nuts. Keeps the metabolism up to speed.

cinco_de_matto
04-25-2010, 10:52 PM
I personally don't see a point in following a 40/40/20 diet strictly unless you're a more advanced lifter.

jrsonico
04-25-2010, 11:06 PM
i hope im that big, i could cut like a breast.

Sauce-head
04-25-2010, 11:12 PM
I've always had the most success by keeping protein high 1-1.5g/lb of bodyweight, low carb and moderate fats.

How long have you been on this diet?

Is it working at all?

I'm assuming your taking in around 1,500-1,800 calories a day or maybe slightly more. Your protein intake is too low if that's the case.

Look into fatty fish like Salmon, lots of eggs, whey isolate and chicken thighs for good protein would good fat sources.

Carbs should be coming from leafy greens, veggies, and a minimal amount of grains (mainly oats).

Cut out sugar period and you should start seeing results quickly.

SH

determined4000
04-25-2010, 11:15 PM
I've always had the most success by keeping protein high 1-1.5g/lb of bodyweight, low carb and moderate fats.

Is it working at all?

I'm assuming your taking in around 1,500-1,800 calories a day or maybe slightly more. Your protein intake is too low if that's the case.

that would be retarded
taking in 360g protein on 1500 calories, try doing that
he is overweight, should base need on LBM

DaviMack
04-25-2010, 11:16 PM

Is it working at all?

Look into fatty fish like Salmon, lots of eggs, whey isolate and chicken thighs for good protein would good fat sources.

Carbs should be coming from leafy greens, veggies, and a minimal amount of grains (mainly oats).

Cut out sugar period and you should start seeing results quickly.

SH

i havnt started this yet i have been doing DP diet for cutting and its ok i jut feel so ****ty without carbs

Sauce-head
05-01-2010, 10:55 PM
that would be retarded
taking in 360g protein on 1500 calories, try doing that
he is overweight, should base need on LBM

Of course 360g of protein on 1,500 cal would be retarded.... but we have no idea how many calories he's eating, that's why I put a range or guess-timate in there smart-guy.

Bottom line is carb intake is too high and healthy fat intake needs to go up so he can start burning more fat as a fuel source and build muscle.

I'd start off by trying to figure out how much your currently eating by using a food site like:

www.nutritiondata.com

www.fitday.com

From there get a starting point for your diet and you'll most likely have to play around with your macro levels based on what works for you. You look more like an endo-morph from your pic, so keeping carbs low and healthy fat at a good level will be important to cutting fat in your situation.

I'd also restrict carb intake 3-4 hours before bed depending on when you train. 40/40/20 split would only work for weight loss if you were doing some intense calorie burning in the gym and on the treadmill.

SH

SDC77
05-01-2010, 11:29 PM
i hope im that big, i could cut like a breast.

http://www.icanhasmotivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/lulz.jpg

About 40/40/20.... that is way old. Restricting fat so severely isn't necessary.