PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I have starch carbs?

shannonreicks
04-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Hi,

I got a new nutrition plan from a trainer and it says I can only have starch carbs such as oatmeal and whole wheat bagels post workout. I don't know about you but nothing makes me feel more ready for the day then having oatmeal and flax seed first thing in the morning. So, why can't I have it unless its postworkout??? this nutrition plan focuses on vegetables and fruit for the carbs which I get plenty of.(2-3 servings fruit and atleast 3 servings vegetables a day). Can someone explain or tell me if this is wrong???

thanks so much!

On Fire
04-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Hi,

I got a new nutrition plan from a trainer and it says I can only have starch carbs such as oatmeal and whole wheat bagels post workout. I don't know about you but nothing makes me feel more ready for the day then having oatmeal and flax seed first thing in the morning. So, why can't I have it unless its postworkout??? this nutrition plan focuses on vegetables and fruit for the carbs which I get plenty of.(2-3 servings fruit and atleast 3 servings vegetables a day). Can someone explain or tell me if this is wrong???

thanks so much!

Absolutely nothing wrong with starchy carbs in the morning Shannon, carry on with what makes you feel best. The most important thing to any diet is counting your calorie intake and comparing it with your daily calorie expenditure. If you use more than you eat, you'll lose weight over time, and vice versa.

addictR3
04-23-2010, 11:52 PM
yeah i dunno why but oatmeal for breaky is fine, Ive heard of diets where they incorp carbs only post workout, but go with breaky and post.

Jeclavad
04-24-2010, 04:58 AM
Hi,

thanks so much!

Eat your carbs whenever you want. The total calorie intake at the end of the day/week/month will determine if you will lose/gain weight not the amount of carbs or the time you eat them. If you want oatmeal in the morning, eat them for breakfast (great choice btw).

SudburyBaller
04-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Sounds like your trainer is following a Bro-science flyer.

Ctrainer
04-24-2010, 05:22 AM
If it fits in your calories and in your macros do it...diet is all trial and error, keep what works and throw out what doesn't!!!

Oatmeal - YUM!!!!

jakedasn4ke
04-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Sounds like your trainer is following a Bro-science flyer.

lmao

SDC77
04-24-2010, 06:54 AM
1) Fire your trainer.

2) Carbs are protein sparring and are the best energy source for humans.

3) Just because someone has a ripped body doesn't mean they know anything about nutrition.

Even though 99% of professional bodybuilders are broscience disciples, take a look at the contest prep diets of people like Jay Cutler, Dexter Jackson, Branch Warren, Evan Centopani (once did the Palumbo diet but now prefers starch), etc. All eat oats/cream of wheat/rice/potatoes up until they step on stage.

Even for us mere mortals who will never step on stage, starchy carbs will only aid in us achieving our goals, be it bulking, cutting, or maintaining.

VTRunner
04-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Let me guess, your trainer probably has some meaningless NASM or ACE certification that took him about 3 months to acquire, read a couple of broscience articles, and suddenly thinks that he is a nutrition expert too right?

As the above posters have said, oatmeal is perfectly fine for breakfast.It doesn't matter when you eat carbs, all that matters is the calories at the end of the day. Having a high-fiber carb for breakfast can promote greater satiety and focus throughout the morning. Having carbs for breakfast before you hit the gym (if you workout in the morning hours) will most likely promote better performance in the gym as well.

Tommy W.
04-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Lots of fruit but no starch.....hmmmmm?

Carbs are sugar no matter how you look at it. This is basic stuff.
Keeping the macros in check is the important factor. Ask your trainer to back up his reasoning. Don't let him get off on the GI reasoning either

shannonreicks
04-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Wow all, thanks so much! I really appreciate the responses and even more am so happy I can have my damn oatmeal. MMM!

djansen
04-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi,

thanks so much!

What is your goal? does he have you on a lower carb weight loss diet?

Tommy W.
04-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Wow all, thanks so much! I really appreciate the responses and even more am so happy I can have my damn oatmeal. MMM!

Any "trainer" that tells you not to eat oatmeal should have his little license revoked