PDA

View Full Version : Beer/other alcohol

imakillerr
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
BLUF: can moderation with alcohol still be affective when seeking to loose weight/gain muscle?

It seems like everyone I've met who has the body I've been working for, never touches alcohol... personally, I drink every night... been that way since I cam back from Aghanistan... I'm starting to debate, now, whether or not i should seek professional help and quit drinking all together...

Maybe I'm not asking a question, but rather looking for someone to convince me... Thoughts/advice?

chrisjd
04-23-2010, 08:09 AM
I think you can drink in moderation and not have much effect on weightloss or muslce gains.

Drinking everyday though, it depends on how much.

I've never liked alcohol enough to want to put it in my body everyday, I would feel gross.

hollisterboii
04-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Alcohol is such a sh*tty substance. It's just putting toxins into your body.

Does drinking really improve your quality of life? I started cutting and stopped drinking on the weekends, and was shocked about how much fun you can actually have being sober when everyone else is plastered.

BLab5
04-23-2010, 08:51 AM
questions: when you drink, how many do you have? do you get drunk, or buzzed? do you feel you need to have a beer every night?

if so, maybe cut back a little and take a few days off between having a beer(but careful not to binge). drinking every night, while not horrible(if you have 1 or 2) its just empty calories and carbs that don't do you any good nutrition wise. can you simply cut back and still enjoy a beer here and there, just not nightly.

if you are someone who can simply have a good quality beer or two on a night or two during the week, i can't see the big harm(my two days are usually friday/saturday). and when i have my 1 or 2 beers, i make them count, so i'll get a nice stout or a solid microbrew i'm a fan of.

that said, if you feel like you can't control the drinking, then definately turn for some help.

and if you feel like you can't have fun w/out drinking...that's a bigger flag for me than anything else.

Mr-Paradox
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM

Does drinking really improve your quality of life? I started cutting and stopped drinking on the weekends, and was shocked about how much fun you can actually have being sober when everyone else is plastered.

So true. Hitting clubs is good cardio too :P

chrisjd
04-23-2010, 09:31 AM
So true. Hitting clubs is good cardio too :P

I hate clubs. horrible music and pathetic men.

Nutshell20
04-23-2010, 09:44 AM
BLUF: can moderation with alcohol still be affective when seeking to loose weight/gain muscle?

It seems like everyone I've met who has the body I've been working for, never touches alcohol... personally, I drink every night... been that way since I cam back from Aghanistan... I'm starting to debate, now, whether or not i should seek professional help and quit drinking all together...

Maybe I'm not asking a question, but rather looking for someone to convince me... Thoughts/advice?

Hope your not drinking to cope with what you've come home from...I can only imagine. I wouldn't judge you if you were. Give it up for a month, if you can't you may want to seek some professional help. Best of luck.

ironwill2008
04-23-2010, 09:49 AM
If you've been thinking about quitting, then you should quit. I'm not judging you, but drinking every night is way past the realm of moderation.

If you have some avenue of professional help available to you, I'd strongly suggest you use it. Good luck to you.

Mr-Paradox
04-23-2010, 09:51 AM

Just gotta find the right one brah. There is such a variety of clubs for me that there is something for everyone :)

jhbart
04-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Just try slowly cutting back. Not sure what type of body you are looking for but short of a BB competition ready body, you can easily attain it while still drinking... just maybe not every day. As a college student who really enjoys bodybuilding, drinking on the weekends doesn't really effect me that much. Id suggest trying to cut back to that at least and go from there. If you find yourself unable to cutback, you should seek professional help.

wynakacv2
04-23-2010, 12:13 PM

Your going to have a lot worse problems if you keep drinking everyday and you wont get to enjoy the body you want.

a410599
04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Take it from a guy who has problems with temptation. For me, when I drink, it's all or nothing. I cant have "just one." The only way I am able to achieve my goals for muscle gain/fat loss is for me to quit alcohol. I know it sucks because, come on, being drunk is a good time. But if you really want to change a lifestyle and get ripped, you gotta quit.
After a few months, maybe you can try having just one and see how it goes?
Lastly, no one here blames you for drinking if it's your way of coping with post war stress. Everyone handles things differently, good or bad. But since it sounds like you are ready to change your ways, you need to take advantage of that and cut the booze.

cheeseandrice
04-23-2010, 01:20 PM
i find it hard enough staying on track with a cut getting piss drunk 2 times a week. i dont see how you can drink every night and still burn fat, unless you dont eat anything during the day. its easy to drink 2k cals in beer and mix drinks

Illinoismatt
04-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I cut 75lbs of fat off my body drinking beer everyday. If you like it, go for it. If it's bothering you or getting in the way of your progress cut it out.

kmac27
04-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Alcohol in moderation may not effect muscle growth. However, a drink every night will effect weight loss for sure.

Alcohol dehydrates the body and also gives the kidneys more things to process. Muscle production wants as best hydration as possible.

I have noticed if I have 2-3 beers in one sitting my muscle growth is much lower than it usually is. I'd say maybe a drink every other night. like an 8 oz beer, 4 oz wine, or shot.

Once every 2-4 months I'll drink more than I should have, but its life why not let loose every once in a while? I'm not a bodybuilder, just someone who loves fitness and health.

Joel-Boyd
04-23-2010, 02:14 PM

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! man I feel ya bro, I used 2 drink 5 times a week, then I started weight training, cut my drinking down to only weekends, then I decided to cut drinking out all together forever, and damn i feel good and healthy

IntraVol
04-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Each to their own OP. Only 'you' can make the decision for yourself.

Enjoy.

e04051979
04-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Yet lots of gazelle's...