PDA

View Full Version : Carbs Matter When Cutting?

DegreeZ
04-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Hey guys,

So I've always been a slim guy. Started bodybuilding at 6'1" at 140lbs 3 years ago. I ended up clean bulking to 177lbs.

My bulking macro's looked something like this:

calories = 3000, carbs = 300, protein = 225

I was told to reduce my calories by 500 and incorporate cardio during my cut.

My cutting macro's looked something like this:

calories = 2500, carbs = 220, protein = 225

I was averaging a cut of about 1 lbs a week. Although I thought my carbs were still too high, I figured as long as I was losing 1 lbs a week, weight training 5x a week and incorporating cardio, I shouldn't adjust anything. Only lost a little bit of strength.

At the end of my 12 week cut I'm 160lbs and impressed with the results but was suprised that i still had a little bit of fat around my lower abs.

I'm just wondering if the high carbs have anything to do with that?

Joe Go
04-21-2010, 08:21 AM
You are on the right track. I like your current plan for long term weight loss.

From my experience, keep the carbs in as long as you can. My survival rate to stay on track is much better. I switch to carb cycling when showtime is approaching to remove water, but it's harder to stay on the diet.

For a guy of your height and build, 220 grams of carbs is moderate to low. The fat around your ab's is fat. Most newer wieght loss people think they are bigger then they really are. If you want to get the fat off, then keep cutting. I started my cut at 190 pounds and I'm down to 160 and still have fat on me. I figure when I'm finished cutting I'll be into the 150's. 150 pounds doesn't sound impressive, but the pictures tell another story.

Keep dropping fat if you want to be more defined.

BadWog
04-21-2010, 08:28 AM
I started my cut at 190 pounds and I'm down to 160 and still have fat on me. I figure when I'm finished cutting I'll be into the 150's. 150 pounds doesn't sound impressive, but the pictures tell another story.

You're right. So many people underestimate how much weight they have to lose.

Also, shredded at 150lbs looks better than most people think.

To the OP: Your current diet looks solid, keep it up. Only drop calories more when you absolutely need to. Makes cutting life easier to deal with.

DegreeZ
04-21-2010, 09:12 AM
You are on the right track. I like your current plan for long term weight loss.

From my experience, keep the carbs in as long as you can. My survival rate to stay on track is much better. I switch to carb cycling when showtime is approaching to remove water, but it's harder to stay on the diet.

For a guy of your height and build, 220 grams of carbs is moderate to low. The fat around your ab's is fat. Most newer wieght loss people think they are bigger then they really are. If you want to get the fat off, then keep cutting. I started my cut at 190 pounds and I'm down to 160 and still have fat on me. I figure when I'm finished cutting I'll be into the 150's. 150 pounds doesn't sound impressive, but the pictures tell another story.

Keep dropping fat if you want to be more defined.

Joe,

In regards to your "For a guy of your height and build, 220 grams of carbs is moderate to low" comment. Are you saying that 220 grams of carbs is moderate to low for a cutting or bulking diet at my height?

Joe Go
04-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Joe,

In regards to your "For a guy of your height and build, 220 grams of carbs is moderate to low" comment. Are you saying that 220 grams of carbs is moderate to low for a cutting or bulking diet at my height?

For cutting, it's moderate to low. I was cutting on 2000 total calories with an average carb range of 300 grams since October. I recently changed to carb cycling because showtime is May 22nd. I wasn't able to dry out (remove water) properly eating 300 grams everyday, but I was able to drop fat effectively and feel great when I kept carbs consistent at 300 grams.

For bulking, my first guess for you would be to slowly increase carbs by double from your current number and leave protein and fat the same.

I would also place potassium at 6000mg and sodium at 3000mg for cutting and bulking to see what happens. Water intake would be around a gallon.

This is a guess though. Gotta start some where.:D

DegreeZ
04-21-2010, 09:44 AM
For cutting, it's moderate to low. I was cutting on 2000 total calories with an average carb range of 300 grams since October. I recently changed to carb cycling because showtime is May 22nd. I wasn't able to dry out (remove water) properly eating 300 grams everyday, but I was able to drop fat effectively and feel great when I kept carbs consistent at 300 grams.

For bulking, my first guess for you would be to slowly increase carbs by double from your current number and leave protein and fat the same.

I would also place potassium at 6000mg and sodium at 3000mg for cutting and bulking to see what happens. Water intake would be around a gallon.

This is a guess though. Gotta start some where.:D

Hey, well I appreciate your help. Thanks for the clarification and good luck with your show.