PDA

View Full Version : The Shocking Answer to REST between sets.....

JOHN GARGANI
04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
my reply got buried somewhere at the end of a thread, that I must assume, no one was going to anymore, or, I would have never survived posting it that easily! LOL.....the topic was the usual beaten to death question about pacing in a routine and how much rest to take, with the usual banter about exact amount of rest time between sets ( 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc. ) for the whole workout.....here was my reply:

reprinted from a buried thread:

you remember Arnold's famous statement about the analogy between the muscle pump and coming in Pumping Iron?

well here is the skinny on a workout, analgous to Sex with your favorite gal ( in this case, the "gal", unfortunately, is the cold hard steel ):

Now, I am not talking about Quickie sex, or furtive sex, or adolescent sex: I am talking MATURE and LOVING: so: where is the analogy?

How do you start? like a screaming banshee on fire? NOPE.....you start deliberately...gently, can I say it on here amongst us men, TENDERLY....

you caress, you fondle, etc.......hey, then what happens?

some sort of mutual thing starts to go on, right??? you feel it, your gal feels it, now, the "caresses" get a little stronger, the gentle becomes a little more forcible....

but here is the miracle: what would have grated on, or rubbed on the wrong way in the beginning, now doesn't seem to matter, in fact, you now reach a point where it can't be quick or tough enough......

DINGA DINGA DANGA DINGO.....WHEW! wow, was that a great one....was it as good for you, Dear???

you have just completed a masterpiece of a love "symphony" , rising in inexorable crescendo, until it can go only one way, the climax.....

SO IS THE WORKOUT!!!

each and every one, is like sex with your gal pal: it is a symphony, a masterpiece, that can only end one way: with a skin bursting mind numbing PUMP.......

but to get there, aha, just like the sex: the same way "hard" caresses would be too much initially, so, similarly, jacking around ridiculous weights with little or no rest , initially, would also "hurt"....

so what you do? you take it slow at first, you build up, not only in weight, but, as in our sex scenario, in pace and therefore, rest times, like foreplay, is NOT regimental and exactly timed, nor is it straight linear ( no pun intended )....

instead, rest periods become periodically SHORTER as the pace quickens: you are heading for the "climax"...the , "can't lift my arms over my shoulders, or the can't make my elbows meet together in front of my body" total pump......

the pace quickens, THE INTENSITY QUICKENS: the excitement, or passion, is now the blood circulating through all of the muscles, the CNS kicking into high gear.....

and just as this crescendo is felt by both love partners, so you AND the IRON begin to feel this, because as you rush along, the weight now feels more like it is a part or extension of your body, it is one with you.........

and then you, and the weight, finally reach the end, the climax, with the glorious pump, which now, like afterglow, seems to last forever......

and you bask in it! that's right, men and ladies, I said it: YOU BASK IN IT! you walk around the gym, look in the mirrors, maybe run a few poses, expand your chest, ETC and so on......

you and your love, the IRON, have shared something special.....

think about it in THAT fashion, before you start your next training session!!!!

freebirdmac
04-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Damn! This should be stickied! :p

Marius_Ursus
04-19-2010, 05:48 PM
my reply got buried somewhere at the end of a thread, that I must assume, no one was going to anymore, or, I would have never survived posting it that easily! LOL.....the topic was the usual beaten to death question about pacing in a routine and how much rest to take, with the usual banter about exact amount of rest time between sets ( 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc. ) for the whole workout.....here was my reply:

reprinted from a buried thread:

That little essay is very true, John. The whole progress of weightlifting is somewhat analogous not only to the sexual act but sexual maturity. When you're just starting out in your teens, you have to play with yourself, find out what you like, then fumble with someone of the opposite sex...

Over the years, you get to where you can feel your body and her body (or in this case, the iron) and just know where you need to take it.

Great post, brother.