PDA

View Full Version : Low calorie burrito bulker?

aelio
04-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Making burritos tonight and want to get a lot of bang for my buck calorie wise, curious of any decent ideas for a filling to add to the beef to bulk them up.

Obviously I could put a bunch of veggies in there but really looking to keep it fairly "beefy"

watermelon_2001
04-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Making burritos tonight and want to get a lot of bang for my buck calorie wise, curious of any decent ideas for a filling to add to the beef to bulk them up.

Obviously I could put a bunch of veggies in there but really looking to keep it fairly "beefy"

Some kidney beans would go down a treat

pkells1
04-19-2010, 06:16 AM
not sure exactly what you mean by "low calorie" and "bulker" those two words don't really go that well together. But if you're looking for calorie dense foods to put in a burrito go with sour cream, guac, and cheese.

C29i
04-19-2010, 06:19 AM
not sure exactly what you mean by "low calorie" and "bulker" those two words don't really go that well together. But if you're looking for calorie dense foods to put in a burrito go with sour cream, guac, and cheese.

I think he means to add size to the burrito without actually increasing calories by to much, I have no real answer for the OP though, beans might work.

jorgerod
04-19-2010, 07:15 AM

The only way to have a low calorie burrito is to get rid of the wrap.

Jorge

e04051979
04-19-2010, 07:33 AM
The only way to have a low calorie burrito is to get rid of the wrap.

Jorge

+1.

Burrito in bowl, as they call it are still great. I'd add black beans personally... one of my favorites. Pinto also work well.

jorgerod
04-19-2010, 07:48 AM
+1.

Burrito in bowl, as they call it are still great. I'd add black beans personally... one of my favorites. Pinto also work well.

Black Beans have the highest concentration of iron except for maybe lentils or pigeon peas. excellent choice.

RealMenDeadLift
04-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Use ground sirloin

RealMenDeadLift
04-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Black Beans have the highest concentration of iron except for maybe lentils or pigeon peas. excellent choice.

This isn't much of a concern for males, we don't bleed regularly.

Holyspokes
04-19-2010, 08:13 AM

I bleed from my eyeballs regularly.

jorgerod
04-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Low Iron levels is one of the highest reasons for us males feeling tired in the afternoons.

"Iron is necessary to the formation of hemoglobin, which carries oxygen in red blood cells. When iron levels in hemoglobin get low, a person feels tired and lacks energy to do every day tasks due to lack of oxygen delivery to organs and tissues. Since a red blood cell lives 120 days, it may take close to 4 months before you feel like your old self."

from "http://www.dietitian.com/iron.html"

Jorge

RealMenDeadLift
04-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Low Iron levels is one of the highest reasons for us males feeling tired in the afternoons.

"Iron is necessary to the formation of hemoglobin, which carries oxygen in red blood cells. When iron levels in hemoglobin get low, a person feels tired and lacks energy to do every day tasks due to lack of oxygen delivery to organs and tissues. Since a red blood cell lives 120 days, it may take close to 4 months before you feel like your old self."

from "http://www.dietitian.com/iron.html"

JorgeIf the people have crappy, mineral-void, diets then yes that can happen, but most people here get PLENTY of iron in their diets.

Question, why do you sign off on each post? lol

jorgerod
04-19-2010, 08:41 AM
If the people have crappy, mineral-void, diets then yes that can happen, but most people here get PLENTY of iron in their diets.

Question, why do you sign off on each post? lol

1)Most people don't have as good eating habits as they should, whether from miss information, the classic, I don't eat veggies, etc. Then again the original recommendation is to add the beans as part of his meal which would give him the carbs plus provide him with the necesary nutirents (iron) and hence no need to supplement.

2)Old Habit from e-mail and other e-venues.

Jorge <-- There, I just did it again.

RealMenDeadLift
04-19-2010, 08:48 AM
1)Most people don't have as good eating habits as they should, whether from miss information, the classic, I don't eat veggies, etc. Then again the original recommendation is to add the beans as part of his meal which would give him the carbs plus provide him with the necesary nutirents (iron) and hence no need to supplement.

Yes most people outside of this board, but here, most people have that covered. No need to make a conscious effort to get more iron but your suggestion is still valid. Not saying anything against you here.

2)Old Habit from e-mail and other e-venues.

Jorge <-- There, I just did it again.Haha, fair enough, was just curious.

NaLLa8705
04-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Like everyone is saying.. LEGUMES!!! (beans)

93/7 lean beef, whole wheat wrap, beans, veggies!!

Should be able to make a beasty burrito for under 500 cals

ECfromHTX
04-19-2010, 10:41 PM
man this thread is making me crave a burrito bowl from chipotle bad

adoboandryce
04-19-2010, 10:48 PM
bulk your beef burrito with chicken.

jpbroschat
04-19-2010, 11:41 PM
+1.

Probably well after your dinner, but black beans are awesome. Cheap, high in protein/fiber = win

C29i
04-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Probably well after your dinner, but black beans are awesome. Cheap, high in protein/fiber = win

Aren't beans pretty high in calories?

e04051979
04-20-2010, 07:27 AM
That depends on your current point of view. I don't find them high in calories at all. For what you're getting out of the food there is a lot of nutritional value and the fullness factor is great.

I could probably say I have a serving of black beans at least 4-5 times a week. Whether it's in a burrito bowl or something as simple as adding them to a healthy veggie-enriched salad.

RealMenDeadLift
04-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Aren't beans pretty high in calories?

No.

cmurray
04-20-2010, 07:45 AM
meat,cheese,beans,lettuce,sour cream, guac

jrsonico
04-20-2010, 08:05 AM
nver try b.beans in my entire life. im curious. how does it taste like ?

e04051979
04-20-2010, 09:56 AM
man this thread is making me crave a burrito bowl from chipotle bad

Qdoba!

Actually if you live near a Fresh Fare Kroger (Cincinnati, Ohio there are lots of them), they have an area in the store where you can get all kinds of prepared food to your liking, chicken, sides, coffee, sushi, etc. Their burrito's in a bowl are awesome.

jorgerod
04-20-2010, 10:44 AM
meat,cheese,beans,lettuce,sour cream, guac

You were doing good till you said, sour cream, guac is ok though.

Jorge

ErickStevens
04-20-2010, 11:01 AM
I love making burrito bowls while PSMFing. 96/4 lean ground beef, cumin/paprika/chili powder, shredded lettuce, salsa, and a couple slices of FF cheese. Good stuff.

Guai
04-20-2010, 11:09 AM
The answer is bacon.