PDA

View Full Version : Carbs from Fruits Important in Daily Calories?

GavinT
04-19-2010, 04:29 AM
I eat a fair bit of fruit but only just realised the considerable amounts of sugars in each serving. Is it necessary for me to include this as a substantial chunk in my daily calorie totals?

eg. an apple, 2 plums, a banana: total 80g carbs (sugars). which is the least of what i usually eat, so id get over 100g carbs (in sugars) a day. how should i treat this?

C29i
04-19-2010, 05:01 AM
If you are eating it count it, why would this be any different?

snorkelman
04-19-2010, 05:08 AM
Yes you count fruits towards your total calories and carbs. Fruit in itself is not inherently fattening. Unless you are one of the rare people on this website who are training to glycogen depletion and competing with those same glycogen-depleted muscles within about 8 hours, then you will be just fine if you chose to get all of your carbs from fruit if you wanted to.

aussieangie
04-19-2010, 05:11 AM
What about unlimited amounts of vegetables. I heard somewhere (cant remember where) that you can eat as much vegetables as you like. Is that correct? I eat approx minimum 3 cups a day.

C29i
04-19-2010, 05:16 AM
What about unlimited amounts of vegetables. I heard somewhere (cant remember where) that you can eat as much vegetables as you like. Is that correct? I eat approx minimum 3 cups a day.

They have calories, its not much but they are there. Certain vegetables have more then others like onions etc.

Adelaide.
04-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Vegetables and Fruit have calories just like everything else. If you are trying to lose/on a cut those cals can defintely effect your results so they should be counted. If you are bulking it really isn't as big of a deal since you are eating in excess, however, you can rack up a lot of calories pretty quick eating fruit and veggies.

Outside of the cal/carb thing, you can eat as many as you want. You can't overdose on fruit or veggies and they are full of all sorts of good things for you. Just remember the cals do count.

tagun
04-19-2010, 06:09 AM

You "can" eat whatever you want in whatever quantities you want. Tho it will obviously affect your body composition. People say that you can eat as much veggies as you want because 1. if something is important for health, it's veggies and 2. if something has the most minimal effect on your bodycomposition it's veggies (because most of them are the lowest calorie dense foods on the planet). HOWEVER they still carry calories and 200 calories from broccoli in excess will put as much fat on you as 200 calories in excess coming from toffe fudge.

Obviously eating loads of veggies won't accumulate as much excess calories as eating loads of fatty sweets because veggies carry so little calories and you get tired/sick of them quickly, usually before they would have any drastic detrimental effects on your bodycomposition; while fatty sweets are very calorie dense and they usually provoke cravings and make you eat even more as you go along!

I know that I eat approximately 200-300 calories from veggies a day and since I'm cutting on as low as 2000-2200 calories as I'm nearing the end of my diet those 200-300 calories that I am counting would affect me greatly if I didn't, because then I would be eating around 2500 calories instead what I wrote. So yes, for overall health eat veggies till you puke! And if you have to binge on anything, binge on veggies. But when you're cutting drastically or prepping for a show + know that you eat loads of veggies, you most definitely want to count them. As you count your ~100 calorie whey shake or even those minuscule amounts of calories from BCAA powder, for example.

GavinT
04-19-2010, 06:13 AM
phew, lucky im clean bulking then.
but didnt realise fruits racked up carbs so significantly, like a single banana being around 30g Carbs or an Apple is approximately 20g. That is fairly intense stuff. Im surprised its not much of a bigger issue to be addressed as fruits should be a big part of a body builders diet anyway.

Especially as it gives a decent natural insulin spike, soak up all them proteins fellas! haha. And excellent pre workout source too.

metski
04-19-2010, 06:17 AM
i cut out all fruit and juices because of blood sugar levels rise

and the insulin spike it may store fat.

read it in some guys body space he was ripped

Jeclavad
04-19-2010, 06:24 AM

Ah yeah and you only need 30g of fructose daily so the rest will only be converted as fatzzz...

B-ryminD09
04-19-2010, 07:27 AM

i've hurd this too, but things like corn, carrots, green beans, peas ect.. can add up fast.

snorkelman
04-19-2010, 07:36 AM

He must have read it in this nutrition book

http://zupaxis.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/brocode.jpg

fade2green514
04-19-2010, 07:40 AM
80g of carbs is what, 320 calories? that's nothing my friend.

the thing people don't realize is that fruits have a lot of vitamins and minerals as well as water weight that also benefits you. candy and other processed sugars are much higher in concentration and therefore they increase your blood sugar levels to unhealthy amounts, and your body immediately begins to store this sugar as fat.

in my opinion space it out though. eat 1-2 pieces of fruit pre-workout and 2-4 pieces post workout, if you really like it that much. keep your protein intake up too.

RealMenDeadLift
04-19-2010, 07:43 AM

Not sure if srs...

But if you are, you are everything that is wrong with people on this forum

gbardahl
04-19-2010, 07:44 AM
he must have read it in this nutrition book

http://zupaxis.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/brocode.jpg

you have been............

Repped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kusok
04-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Ah yeah and you only need 30g of fructose daily so the rest will only be converted as fatzzz...

so tru ^^^

I noticed that I get fatter if I look at sugar,

i read in one book that your eyes seeing sugar causes your brain to realize that sugar is about to be eaten by you (kinda like a dog salivating when seeing food) and your brain then reacts by spiking your insulin and you get fat.

TJ_Wolfe
04-19-2010, 09:02 AM
lol threads like this are hilarious.

If you are counting calories, then yes, of course count them.

TJ_Wolfe
04-19-2010, 09:02 AM
so tru ^^^

I noticed that I get fatter if I look at sugar,

i read in one book that your eyes seeing sugar causes your brain to realize that sugar is about to be eaten by you (kinda like a dog salivating when seeing food) and your brain then reacts by spiking your insulin and you get fat.

:lol

GavinT
04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
80g of carbs is what, 320 calories? that's nothing my friend.

it is significant for me as i am hoppling around a 2000cal.day plan tht includes 225g carbs. So 80g chunk of that is a fair bit. it does seem like a very low daily caloric intake but thats how it is for me.

Ever see fat people control fruits and daily nutrion values?

username-newbie
04-19-2010, 04:17 PM
80grams isn't really that high (its **** all I get 80gm on a 1700 diet comfortably), you'll be able to get your protein

130pounds * 4 calories = 520 calories
80 grams of carb * 4 calories = 320 calories
or 225 * 4 = 900
64gm of fat = 580

so high carb (225 and your protein 130gm) gives you 1420 obviously the rest can be fat for your meat, so steak, eggs etc can be eaten till you get to 2000calories.

GavinT
04-20-2010, 06:38 AM
im actually keeping a higher protein ratio (preferred, slightly supported theory and logically more efficient) of 1.3g/lb.

Its close to a 40/40/20 cutting diet ratio but slightly altered and eating over maintenance (1420 for me).

2000cals:
170g Protein (34%: 680Cals)
225g Carbs (45%: 900Cals)
47g Fat (21%: 420Cals)

So therefore a 80-100g from fruit carbs does take a fair chunk from 225. 125g Carbs doesnt leave much room for bread or brown rice with eggs/tuna/chicken.