PDA

View Full Version : I'm dying a slow death!

Rbarron1967
04-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm gonna get straight to the point...I'm a walking timebomb. I am 43 years of age, I drink practically everyday---I have at least a pint or more of vodka in shots followed by Heineken beers. I have even blacked out and done stupid stuff that has really affected my personal life.
I am in the military...I know-Can you believe that? I just went through a separation, and I didn't get visitation with my kid. (It's a long story--she wasn't mine biologically---But in a sense, she was "mine.) That in it'self, prolly fueled my drinking.
Not satisfied with the way I have been living---I decided to change my life, as well as my health. I got up this morning and said today is the day...I threw out any remaining alcohol I had around my home, and planned what I consider my " road to recovery."
I weighed myself about an hour ago, and for my height, 5'7", I weigh an fffing two hundred and one pounds! 201! And I'm 5'7!!! WTF?
I need some guidance on getting back to where I need to be physically because of the health issues. What do I eat? How should I work out? Should I just stick to losing weight first, and then going with muscle?
I bought a "Men's Fitness" only because it had this plan which would turn your body into a true "fat burning machine!" but it is not very clear to me...For instance: The B-fasts are more food than I think I could ever eat! (3 eggs+2 eggwhites, a bowl of oatmeal, green tea and a handful of blueberries with a protein shake. That's just the B-fast. It's about a 2600 cal diet, with 290 g protein, 195 carbs, and 78 g of fat.
Last question---I have not worked out in like 4 years. Do I find a W/O plan, stick to it and use something like the mentioned meal plan as a source of my fuel? Or--do I need to reduce it? It sure seems like a ton of food---but then again, I feel like a ton of fat...Anything is appreciated....

paolo59
04-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Congratulations! I know you might not want to hear it, but it wouldn't be bad to see a doc and get a good once over at this stage in your life. We drink, abuse drugs, or overeat for any number of reasons. Be careful and aware of the circumstances and situations that you found yourself in before. Sounds like you had a lot of emotional weight on your plate! Sorry to hear of the breakup. If you sat around the house alone, thinking and stewing on one thing or another, the temptation will be there to do exactly what you've always done. Get out of the house, go to the gym, hit the treadmill and wear yourself out. Eat smaller meals, but more of them during the day. You can build muscle and lose weight at the same time, so include strength training in what you're doing. Good luck brother!!!

CaptChip40
04-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Well you recognize the problem that is a good first step. You are in the military so you should have some idea about getting into shape. Most military installations have some sort of gyms so I guess you could start there. There are also plenty of starting programs on this site and you could pick one of them. Find something you like to do lift, run, combination just stick with it.
Quitting drinking and starting a workout program will be a dramatic change in your life and I would suspect you will see some significant changes in very short time.
You will get some good information from others I bet. Good luck.

Ps. You have been a member for some time and this is your first post. I think this shows this has been on your mind for a while. Commit to the change and you can do it.

hookrunner
04-18-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm gonna get straight to the point...I'm a walking timebomb. I am 43 years of age, I drink practically everyday---I have at least a pint or more of vodka in shots followed by Heineken beers. I have even blacked out and done stupid stuff that has really affected my personal life.
I am in the military...I know-Can you believe that? I just went through a separation, and I didn't get visitation with my kid. (It's a long story--she wasn't mine biologically---But in a sense, she was "mine.) That in it'self, prolly fueled my drinking.
Not satisfied with the way I have been living---I decided to change my life, as well as my health. I got up this morning and said today is the day...I threw out any remaining alcohol I had around my home, and planned what I consider my " road to recovery."
I weighed myself about an hour ago, and for my height, 5'7", I weigh an fffing two hundred and one pounds! 201! And I'm 5'7!!! WTF?
I need some guidance on getting back to where I need to be physically because of the health issues. What do I eat? How should I work out? Should I just stick to losing weight first, and then going with muscle?
I bought a "Men's Fitness" only because it had this plan which would turn your body into a true "fat burning machine!" but it is not very clear to me...For instance: The B-fasts are more food than I think I could ever eat! (3 eggs+2 eggwhites, a bowl of oatmeal, green tea and a handful of blueberries with a protein shake. That's just the B-fast. It's about a 2600 cal diet, with 290 g protein, 195 carbs, and 78 g of fat.
Last question---I have not worked out in like 4 years. Do I find a W/O plan, stick to it and use something like the mentioned meal plan as a source of my fuel? Or--do I need to reduce it? It sure seems like a ton of food---but then again, I feel like a ton of fat...Anything is appreciated....

OK dude, I'm gonna try not to come off like a d.ick here. I may not pull it off, but I'm gonna try. First, there's a great alcoholic/drug addict thread in the O35 Misc section. Read it, you'll get support there. Second, this is the big boys forum, the only thing you're gonna get here is tough love. Weakness is not tolerated here. Third, throw out the Men's f.ag magazine. There's a gym where you are. Get your ass in there and pick up heavy things, put them down and repeat. You posted a diet, CAN YOU DO IT? If you can, that's half the battle. Fourth, and this is the most important, PUT DOWN THE F'ING BOTTLE. You're not going to find whatever answer you're looking for in there.

We don't care how much you've drank (is that a word?) to make yourself where you are today. All we care about is what you're gonna do to improve yourself. Half this forum has been through a divorce - separation.

If you make an effort, you'll get a s.hit ton of support here. Post workouts, diet, we'll help you along bro, but you ain't gonna get sympathy here.

Finally, thank you for your service. There's a lot of us here that were in the same boat you are now. Suck it up...

Let the flaming begin...

Steve..

crupiea
04-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Good job for getting yourself together.

Make an easy goal for this week.

Dont change your diet. Instead, just write down every single thing that you eat this week. i mean every scrap of food you put in your mouth. This will make you aware of what you are doing to yourself.

This will give you a full week to get your diet sorted out. By that I mean tha yopu need to figure out what you want to eat for about 5-6 meals per day.

A good start would be to make every meal something like chicken, veggies and Brown rice. Or substituie steak, or pork or fish.

Cook your meat on a bbq grill and ziplock it up. Then get some frozen veggies and some Uncle Bens brown rice thats already cooked.

Next week try to eat those things while still writing everything down.

This will get you off to a good start.

After that then start getting some fresh air by walking around outside and enjoying what the world has to offer.

Look at this as a training camp. It will give you a sense of purpose.

fulloffat
04-18-2010, 04:04 PM
I may not pull it off, but I'm gonna try. First, there's a great alcoholic/drug addict thread in the O35 Misc section. Read it, you'll get support there. Second, this is the big boys forum, the only thing you're gonna get here is tough love. Weakness is not tolerated here. Fourth, and this is the most important, PUT DOWN THE F'ING BOTTLE. You're not going to find whatever answer you're looking for in there.

this ^^ x2

MuscleSportMag
04-18-2010, 05:36 PM
The first step in correcting a problem is admitting that you have one (which you did), and I'll follow that up with saying that you also are not happy with your physical appearance and want to change that, as well.

The two are more associated than some may think. The alcohol has to cease completely. Then you can use the new found energy you will get from being sober and turn that into - whatever you make it to be.

Your diet and sleep routine will immediately improve once you cut out the booze and then you can get yourself back in the gym. Like the other poster mentioned, being in the military you should have a good idea of how to get back into shape.

Dude, I'm 42 and can tell from you from personal experience that without doing everything right, getting back to your 20s is impossible. You have to dedicate a lot more than you had to 20 something years ago.

I used to have no problem partying all night, hitting the diner at 4 AM afterwards and eat greasy food then be in the gym three or four hours later. I probably can't even stay awake until 4 AM now.

Stick with it and you'll be fine.

pharmamarketer
04-18-2010, 06:43 PM
I am wondering why you waited 2 yrs to make this your first post. Go check yourself in somewhere. There is not a person on the internet that is going to be able to help you. You need live, in person help. Check yourself in somewhere. Serious help. If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt it isn't, then you need help from professionals.

I am an alcoholic and always will be. I have not drank in over a year and I promise you bithcing about it here will do you no good. Believe me when I tell you this. I know a thing or two about BBing in the 14 months I have been at it but I know a shti load about alcoholics.

Good luck

JOHN GARGANI
04-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I am wondering why you waited 2 yrs to make this your first post. Go check yourself in somewhere. There is not a person on the internet that is going to be able to help you. You need live, in person help. Check yourself in somewhere. Serious help. If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt it isn't, then you need help from professionals.

I am an alcoholic and always will be. I have not drank in over a year and I promise you bithcing about it here will do you no good. Believe me when I tell you this. I know a thing or two about BBing in the 14 months I have been at it but I know a shti load about alcoholics.

Good luck

this^^^^^^^^^^

saying " you threw out all the bottles" is not nearly enough.....if it were that simple, every time an alcoholic had a fit over their condition and busted bottles, they would be cured and you KNOW it is not that easy.....

you are psyched....FOR TODAY.......

get professional help ALSO....

best advice anyone here can give you......

then, as the training and diet comes along, we are always here to give you input on that avenue....

*STEVE*
04-18-2010, 08:49 PM
OK dude, I'm gonna try not to come off like a d.ick here. I may not pull it off, but I'm gonna try. First, there's a great alcoholic/drug addict thread in the O35 Misc section. Read it, you'll get support there. Second, this is the big boys forum, the only thing you're gonna get here is tough love. Weakness is not tolerated here. Third, throw out the Men's f.ag magazine. There's a gym where you are. Get your ass in there and pick up heavy things, put them down and repeat. You posted a diet, CAN YOU DO IT? If you can, that's half the battle. Fourth, and this is the most important, PUT DOWN THE F'ING BOTTLE. You're not going to find whatever answer you're looking for in there.

We don't care how much you've drank (is that a word?) to make yourself where you are today. All we care about is what you're gonna do to improve yourself. Half this forum has been through a divorce - separation.

If you make an effort, you'll get a s.hit ton of support here. Post workouts, diet, we'll help you along bro, but you ain't gonna get sympathy here.

Finally, thank you for your service. There's a lot of us here that were in the same boat you are now. Suck it up...

I have to agree 100% with this ^ post

Let the flaming begin...

Steve..

lulz , what would I know about divorce ..... :rolleyes:

TooSlow
04-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Best wishes in your road to recovery. As a retired 1st Sgt, I saw many service members that could not recovery and it drove them out of the only life they knew. I'm surprised you've been allowed to get so "heavy" with the former? fitness standards. Nothing but positive thoughts as you work your way back to a better, stronger you. Be well.

jimking001
04-18-2010, 09:57 PM
You Sir are a good man! You have much respect from me for admitting that you have a drinking problem. I think it's time for you to get to the doc and have a full checkup of your health before you step into weight lifting. All the booze you have been consuming has trashed your liver and your health.
Also to be frank with you! You need to start attending some AA meetings and get with the program. Get the mental Health taken care of first before you start on the Phys health.
Good Luck!

paolo59
04-18-2010, 10:07 PM
You know, I may be somewhat of a patsy. Who knows? Sometimes the first thing one can do in today's world is say what they think on an internet forum! ****, what a world we live in! It's perhaps easier to make a "fake" connection on the net than make a real one in the real every day world! To the OP, I don't need to slap you, or kick you when you're down, not that that is what other's have done here. I would rather imagine that if anyone knows that they need to "step up to the plate," it's you! All I can do is throw in a word of encouragement. When push comes to shove, it's always what we do, individually, that makes a difference. For what's it's worth, over the net, in this silly netherworld of connect but disconnect, (lol) Go for it with all that you've got! I encourage you to "be all that you can be!" LMAO Is that the navy thing? Regardless, you know what you need to do, and I sincerely trust that you can work through whatever the hell you're facing, and come out on the other side stronger, leaner, more sane, and in the best shape of your life; physically, mentally, and spiritually!

Thunderman
04-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Before you get all gung ho about working out, go to an AA meeting. If you don't get your sobriety in check then this will be a one week thing for you. What I mean by that is if you can't maintain sobriety your attempt to workout will fall off quickly when you start getting drunk again.

Trust me when I say this, I am a recovering drunk and ex-military guy as well.

Go to AA! Or the Military rehab program now.

Frank87
04-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Agree with everyone, stop the drinking!!! Then work on your diet, and then start lifting.

Best of luck to you.

Rbarron1967
04-25-2010, 09:42 AM
I went to some meetings this past week, and I feel 100% better. I walked to work everyday (1-1/2 mi. one way) and at the end of the week, I weighed myself just for the heck of it. I have lost 6 pounds! It made my self-esteem skyrocket! I threw everything in my fridge out and started a whole new food plan. I have turkey, checken and tuna. Fresh vegatables, Brown rice and all the stuff I should have been eating all along.
One problem: How can I force myself to eat 6x a day when after the 2nd meal, I feel so dang full?
I have purchased a weight bench, some 15lb dumbbells and an olympic weight set. NOT gonna kill myself----but I will make better use of it. I plan to work out M-W-F, aerobics on T-TH and saturday will be a combined sport with neighbors, friends etc. like softball or basketball. Will use sunday as a rest day and an opportunity to "grill" my meals for the upcoming week.
Lastly--I am drinking a ton of water. I feel like I am trying to flush out all the toxins I let my body consume. I will post some "before" and "after" pics in the coming months. Thanks for keeping it real with me.

paolo59
04-25-2010, 09:47 AM
I went to some meetings this past week, and I feel 100% better. I walked to work everyday (1-1/2 mi. one way) and at the end of the week, I weighed myself just for the heck of it. I have lost 6 pounds! It made my self-esteem skyrocket! I threw everything in my fridge out and started a whole new food plan. I have turkey, checken and tuna. Fresh vegatables, Brown rice and all the stuff I should have been eating all along.
One problem: How can I force myself to eat 6x a day when after the 2nd meal, I feel so dang full?
I have purchased a weight bench, some 15lb dumbbells and an olympic weight set. NOT gonna kill myself----but I will make better use of it. I plan to work out M-W-F, aerobics on T-TH and saturday will be a combined sport with neighbors, friends etc. like softball or basketball. Will use sunday as a rest day and an opportunity to "grill" my meals for the upcoming week.
Lastly--I am drinking a ton of water. I feel like I am trying to flush out all the toxins I let my body consume. I will post some "before" and "after" pics in the coming months. Thanks for keeping it real with me.

Fantastic!!!

garroutte
04-25-2010, 11:21 AM
I went through the same thing 10 yrs. ago,first step is always the hardest,but they get easier with time.

If you ever need to talk let me know.

Jarhead320
04-25-2010, 11:49 AM

Maybe try some smaller portions. You might be used to gorging on food only twice a day. Making smaller portions and spacing them out is a good way to keep your self fed and full feeling to help curb the impulse food wants.
Try and have something for a treat/cheat once a week or you maybe jump ship big time one day.

Chris
SEMPER FI!

waldopepper
04-26-2010, 07:57 AM
To me you don't sound like an alcoholic - you just let yourself develop some bad habits. I think all of us have bad habits but most of us don't recognize them or are just too lazy to confront them. But it sounds like you are motivated now. First I'd go to livestrong.com/thedailyplate and track what your eating so you can get a good idea of your calorie intake. Then I'd set a weight loss goal of 2 lbs per week and let the web site tell you how many calories you should be taking in. In conjunction with that I'd develop a full body routine by going to menshealth.com/powertraining/ After about 6 - 8 weeks your muscles will get accustomed to hard exertion then you can tweak your program for whatever goals you want. And lastly, make sure you have some kind cardio that gets your heart pumping for 20 - 25 minutes every day.

LanePianoMan
04-26-2010, 09:39 AM

I'm just glad you are still here posting a week later - a lot of people cry out for help and then hit the bottle even harder.

I would suggest strongly that you join a group online like soberrecovery.org - they are wonderful over there and help so many people. I had a severe health problem which led to moderate depression and alcohol abuse for awhile and they were extremely helpful.

Whatever you do, stick with a group of people you can talk to and don't disappear. Most people understand how challenging life is - come on - doesn't almost everyone? So just keep making good friends who can help you take a step in the right direction every day.

All the best,

LPM :)