PDA

View Full Version : how much muscle do you lose after a cut?

iAmMan
04-17-2010, 08:34 PM
If i am at a decent size, and I want to CUT after long journey of bulkin. How much muscle would you muscle lose?

lets say arms stand at 16.5"... would u be at 16." by the end of the cut?

Or can you not lose any muscle at all if done properly.

ntrllftr
04-17-2010, 08:56 PM
A question nobody can answer correctly.

However......

I am proud of the fact that you spelled the word lose not loose.

DerAlta
04-18-2010, 05:07 AM
There's a difference in losing muscle vs losing size.

Why do a "bulk" if you're going to lose the muscle you just put on?

Yes, you will lose size. No you shouldn't lose muscle if your diet is good.

glwanabe
04-18-2010, 05:32 AM
It's a very complicated question. You can spare most of your lean mass down to a certain BF% based on lots of variables. Those variables are very dependaant on your individual genetics.

However if your a natural lifter, and are looking to get into contest shape below say 6%, then you will give up some lean mass in the process. How much you give up is an unknown. You would need to calculate your lean mass before, and after to have an idea.

How fast you do it will also have an effect on sparing your lean mass. It's reallly all about your particular body, and how you work the process. This process is one of the hardest to get right for naturals.

ntrllftr
04-18-2010, 05:51 AM
Yes, you will lose size. No you shouldn't lose muscle if your diet is good.

Let's just say that your diet is "good" or even "spot on" according to what's said to be proper nutrition for a cut.

If everything is perfect and you're doing cardio, how do you know exactly when your body goes......

Dare I say it????

Catabolic :eek:

:D

DerAlta
04-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Let's just say that your diet is "good" or even "spot on" according to what's said to be proper nutrition for a cut.

If everything is perfect and you're doing cardio, how do you know exactly when your body goes......

Dare I say it????

Catabolic :eek:

:DYou are correct, in that your body will eventually go catabolic (It's not a nice word, but it can be said :) ). Guessing on the OP, I'm assuming he is looking to trim body fat, but not to the point of getting on a stage. Somewhere in the 7-9% BF range. On a nice even slow cut, the chances of going catabolic are significantly reduced.

I haven't enough knowledge on my own to know exactly when the body goes catabolic, but I have done enough work to know that you can cut a significant amount of body fat, without your body feeding upon itself.

ntrllftr
04-18-2010, 06:47 AM
You are correct, in that your body will eventually go catabolic (It's not a nice word, but it can be said :) ). Guessing on the OP, I'm assuming he is looking to trim body fat, but not to the point of getting on a stage. Somewhere in the 7-9% BF range. On a nice even slow cut, the chances of going catabolic are significantly reduced.

I haven't enough knowledge on my own to know exactly when the body goes catabolic, but I have done enough work to know that you can cut a significant amount of body fat, without your body feeding upon itself.

Just like the "how much protein can a body absorb in one sitting", I have done countless hours of research on both.

I have found NO scientific proof that supports either when or how much each occur.

So, I always try to play it safe as much as I can on both accounts.

rpaul11
04-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Just like the "how much protein can a body absorb in one sitting", I have done countless hours of research on both.

I have found NO scientific proof that supports either when or how much each occur.

So, I always try to play it safe as much as I can on both accounts.

but the question was how much muscle would you muslce lose :p

ntrllftr
04-18-2010, 06:52 AM
but the question was how much muscle would you muslce lose :p

DoH!!!

rpaul11
04-18-2010, 06:53 AM
DoH!!!

please try and pay attention

ntrllftr
04-18-2010, 06:56 AM
please try and pay attention