PDA

View Full Version : Squats, at least I can do them......

Old-Time-Lifter
04-17-2010, 08:47 AM
(well so far anyways...... lol)

Since I re-injured my bicep almost two weeks back I haven't done anything but squats and the like. As most know I'm constantly battling my bum shouler/bicep tendon and it seems that I'll get it up and running start getting close to my old bench press numbers and bam the thing jacks me up. Well back in dec. I was within a few lbs of my old bench numbers and my shoulder buggered me up again. So I slowly worked back and thought I was doing fine, I wasn't pushing hard on the bench at all but then two weeks back (this coming mon) I felt the bicep tendon pop or tear while doing front pulls.

Long story short I'm waiting to see the doc about it before doing much training on it (though I'm going to do a light chest/back session this weekend). Fortunately, about two weeks or so before it buggered me up (4 weeks back) I had decided that it was time to start pushing harder on squats. (doing them twice a week heavy both workouts)

Now I will admit I have always HATED squats, even back in the day they were my least favorite movement and certainly my weakest lift when competing in pl'ing.

Now I'm starting to get some metal back on the bar and dang it if after my workout last night if my lats aren't even sore........ lol

I still hate squats (likely always will) but for now I'm focusing on looking forward to the one moment in each set that I do enjoy. That's when you first pop that bar up out of the rack and you feel that weight settle into your traps and it just feels so dang good....... LOL But at least for now I can still go heavy on them. :D

However, I am getting to weights where I need a belt so I do need to go buy a new one since my old belt was from when I had a 28" waist. ;) Right now no belt, no wraps, no suit. (likely will never use wraps and a suit again unless the doc actually can fix my shoulder/bicep this time and I can make a comeback in pl'ing)

BetterFit
04-17-2010, 09:08 AM
I came here today looking for a way to make it easier even though I knew better. I was doing squats with 140 pounds @ 3 x 12. Last time I did that I was in pain for over a week. Dropped down to 100 now and down to 60 on lunges. Still enough pain to tell me it's working with a few days pain. Your young, never give up. Good luck.

-=FLEX=-
04-17-2010, 09:37 AM
I didn't know about your shoulder/injury issues, but I've had similar experiences my entire adult life. Seems like every time I start making progress on my upper body power movements my shoulders crap out on me.

I have a love/hate relationship with squats. Struggling right now with getting past 315; been stuck there for a while, but when I was younger I moved quite a bit of weight.

Not using a belt or knee wraps now, and not sure if I ever will again...I may just stick with whatever weight I can get up to without using them.

-=FLEX=-

RetBodyBuilder
04-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Have your tried biceps stretches? Does it hurt very bad? That will tell you how badly you have injured your biceps tendon.

IronCharles
04-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Reps for posting about bodybuilding! ;)

(oh, and good job on the squats, Roy!)

Old-Time-Lifter
04-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Reps for posting about bodybuilding! ;)
(oh, and good job on the squats, Roy!)

LOL, well I'd have to say my squat style is more like pl'ing than bb'ing....... :p

(wide stance w/low bar position)

But thanks for the reps. ;) I'm on recharge so I owe ya some more. :D

Old-Time-Lifter
04-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Have your tried biceps stretches? Does it hurt very bad? That will tell you how badly you have injured your biceps tendon.

Acutally, no I'll have to give that a try.

BrotherWolf
04-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I still hate squats (likely always will) but for now I'm focusing on looking forward to the one moment in each set that I do enjoy. That's when you first pop that bar up out of the rack and you feel that weight settle into your traps and it just feels so dang good....... LOL But at least for now I can still go heavy on them. :D

Nice.... :)

*STEVE*
04-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Right now no belt, no wraps, no suit , just me , the BB and my bowtie

Fixed :D

and repped !!!

AndroShock
04-17-2010, 03:40 PM
My hat goes off to anyone that tries to include them in their routine. It is far to easy to pick and chose which lifts we do for the sake of ease or ego. The lifts I hate the most/weakest move to the front of the list.

crupiea
04-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Good for you!! I am proud of you.

I got my belt from APT, great item, good price and fast shipping.

http://www.prowriststraps.com/weight_lifting_belt_powerlifting_belt_Exercise_bel t_workout_belt

BazzaW
04-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Well done for getting the squats going! For me they are one of the most satifying bodyparts to hit. You could become know in your gym as 'that guy' with the great set of wheels! As for using wraps or a belt... everyone has a different idea. I use wraps and reckon they are worth another 50 + lbs for me, they keep all that fluid and stuff that rattles around my knees nice and tight, and allow me to focus more on my form and the lift. Keep squatin'!

Stenn
04-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Good for you for keeping at it. Us older folks can't always do what we want in the gym, but those who choose not to quit can still work the snot out of whatever we've got that still works. You're fortunate that you can still squat. If I could only do one exercise in the gym, I'd choose squats. I wish you a quick recovery from the bicep problem.

Oh, and Inzer Lever Belts FTW. :)

Old-Time-Lifter
04-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks all :D

Good for you!! I am proud of you.

I got my belt from APT, great item, good price and fast shipping.

http://www.prowriststraps.com/weight_lifting_belt_powerlifting_belt_Exercise_bel t_workout_belt

Thanks for the link! Crap every belt I click on is out of stock! :(

Good for you for keeping at it. Us older folks can't always do what we want in the gym, but those who choose not to quit can still work the snot out of whatever we've got that still works. You're fortunate that you can still squat. If I could only do one exercise in the gym, I'd choose squats. I wish you a quick recovery from the bicep problem.

Oh, and Inzer Lever Belts FTW. :)

For sure, you gotta work what still works........... I keep telling my wife that, but that's a whole other story..... ;) LOL