View Full Version : need some one to explain this back exercise

wantstolearn.1
04-16-2010, 09:55 AM
made a new post people did not understand the last one

up right rows 4 sets of 10

dumbbell shrugs 2 set of 8

chin ups 20 or more reps

narrow grip pull downs 2 sets of 10

thats a example in a book for trainning your back im asking how would that make my back muscles grow being some are only 2 sets per exercise. i though you have to do a least 4 sets per exercise for a muscle to grow? its in a book and thats how they say to train your back

pull downs back exercise 2 set of 10

one arm dumbell row back exercise 2 set of 8

dumbbell shrug back exercise 2 sets of 8

^ thats the sets that confused me

rob440
04-16-2010, 10:00 AM
up right rows 4 sets of 10

dumbbell shrugs 2 set of 8

chin ups 20 or more reps

narrow grip pull downs 2 sets of 10

thats a example in a book im asking how would that make my back muscles grow being some are only 2 sets per exercise. i though you have to do a least 4 sets per exercise for a muscle to grow? its in a book and thats how they say to train your back

Huge can of worms you are trying to open here. There are many "how many sets/reps theorys.

If you are banging a big nail into a board and gently tap the nail you might hit it all day and it wont move. If you hit it with maximum force maybe one or 2 hits and its in. Sets are the same way hit them hard and you can only do so many.

Not defending your routine because its not my cup of tea but how you attack something is directly related to the outcome you receive from it.

wantstolearn.1
04-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Huge can of worms you are trying to open here. There are many "how many sets/reps theorys.

If you are banging a big nail into a board and gently tap the nail you might hit it all day and it wont move. If you hit it with maximum force maybe one or 2 hits and its in. Sets are the same way hit them hard and you can only do so many.

Not defending your routine because its not my cup of tea but how you attack something is directly related to the outcome you receive from it.

thats all i needed that answer is so good thanks ;o)

wantstolearn.1
04-16-2010, 10:10 AM
pull downs back exercise 2 set of 10

one arm dumbell row back exercise 2 set of 8

dumbbell shrug back exercise 2 sets of 8

that was the one i was confused on not the one im posting now but your answer answered this one of my other posts thanks

i was thinking how does that make the muscle grow with then sets ^ cause there sets of 2

and in arnolds book its said you need to do at least 4 sets to make the muscle grow.

rob440
04-16-2010, 10:25 AM
I assume you are a beginner so doing more sets makes more sense for you IMO. Generating the kind of intensity that an experienced trainer can takes time. Dorian Yates did 1 or 2 sets per body part but he put his entire being into those sets. It takes a lot of brain power to pull that off you are likely not able to put that kind of a concentrated effort into a set. That is why I suggest doing more sets.

wantstolearn.1
04-16-2010, 04:15 PM
I assume you are a beginner so doing more sets makes more sense for you IMO. Generating the kind of intensity that an experienced trainer can takes time. Dorian Yates did 1 or 2 sets per body part but he put his entire being into those sets. It takes a lot of brain power to pull that off you are likely not able to put that kind of a concentrated effort into a set. That is why I suggest doing more sets.

to that answer thanks so much. ;o)