PDA

View Full Version : Getting this off my chest (aggravated)

Staynlean
04-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Do you ever get tired of hearing your friends or family who are not into Bodybuilding (or exercising at all for that matter) telling you ignorant stuff like: Ohh it's too expensive to eat healthy or I do not have time to exercise or, and this is my all time favorite: "I don't want to get too big."

Well, actually eating healthy IMO is pretty cheap.
Chicken breast - 6oz roughly $1.00
Can of tuna - 12 oz roughly $2.00
Oatmeal - 2cups a day roughly $.30 freaking cents
Banana - 2 a day $.25 cents
Couple Veggies - maybe $1.50 a day
Supps/Vitamins - maybe $2.00 a day.
Total daily food cost for me = maybe $9.00 depending on my protein sources and this gets me around 200 grams a day. Compared to those who would eat breakfast at McDonalds for $5.00 lunch at BurgerKing for $7.00 and then out to dinner for a cheeseburger probably $10.00. Looks like my plan is cheaper...
And for those who say they "do not have the time" just absolutely kills me cause I Don't either! BUT, I FIGURE IT OUT. I wake up early or I stay up later or go to bed earlier or something... Always planning, it is all about routine. I also work a night shift, I only sleep 4-5 hours a day and still manage to FIGURE THIS OUT!
Then for those that think they are going to get TOO big then let's see it, PLEASE! It's not that easy buddy! I will pay your gym membership to see you get TOO BIG!
Recently my wife and I bought a house with a rather large yard and friends keep telling me how sore I am going to be from cutting the grass. I just kinda think to myself: "ya might be sore if I am cutting this yard on a leg day after 6 sets of bb squats, 4 sets extensions, 4 sets of SLDL and maybe some lunges." Probably still not then but maybe...
Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else is annoyed by the "common folk," people just don't understand...

Karl_Hungus
04-14-2010, 11:09 PM
It doesn't bother me too much. I've realized that we all have different priorities in life -- fitness happens to be one of mine, but there are plenty of people who have other priorities that they deem more important than fitness. I don't make excuses for fitness-related shortcomings, but, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other areas in life where I don't measure up....and I dismiss those weaknesses with excuses that other people think are lame. That is the way it is ... sometimes, those of us into fitness tend to get on our high horse and pat ourselves on the back for being more disciplined than our unfit cohorts. I think in most cases, this is unjustified (I'm not saying you were doing this Staynlean).

Staynlean
04-14-2010, 11:22 PM
It doesn't bother me too much. I've realized that we all have different priorities in life -- fitness happens to be one of mine, but there are plenty of people who have other priorities that they deem more important than fitness. I don't make excuses for fitness-related shortcomings, but, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other areas in life where I don't measure up....and I dismiss those weaknesses with excuses that other people think are lame. That is the way it is ... sometimes, those of us into fitness tend to get on our high horse and pat ourselves on the back for being more disciplined than our unfit cohorts. I think in most cases, this is unjustified (I'm not saying you were doing this Staynlean).

Completely understand your point. I certainly could give more attention to other things and by me being into BB does not make me any better of a person than the next guy. However, I do believe my strict discipline has come from this sport.

Karl_Hungus
04-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Completely understand your point. I certainly could give more attention to other things and by me being into BB does not make me any better of a person than the next guy. However, I do believe my strict discipline has come from this sport.

Yeah, I agree ... It does take an incredible amount of discipline, and those who have built their physiques through hard work and attention to detail certainly deserve to be proud of their accomplishment.

thebigguy1
04-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Do you ever get tired of hearing your friends or family who are not into Bodybuilding (or exercising at all for that matter) telling you ignorant stuff like: Ohh it's too expensive to eat healthy or I do not have time to exercise or, and this is my all time favorite: "I don't want to get too big."

Total daily food cost for me = maybe $9.00 depending on my protein sources and this gets me around 200 grams a day. Compared to those who would eat breakfast at McDonalds for $5.00 lunch at BurgerKing for $7.00 and then out to dinner for a cheeseburger probably $10.00. Looks like my plan is cheaper...
And for those who say they "do not have the time" just absolutely kills me cause I Don't either! BUT, I FIGURE IT OUT. I wake up early or I stay up later or go to bed earlier or something... Always planning, it is all about routine. I also work a night shift, I only sleep 4-5 hours a day and still manage to FIGURE THIS OUT!
Then for those that think they are going to get TOO big then let's see it, PLEASE! It's not that easy buddy! I will pay your gym membership to see you get TOO BIG!
Recently my wife and I bought a house with a rather large yard and friends keep telling me how sore I am going to be from cutting the grass. I just kinda think to myself: "ya might be sore if I am cutting this yard on a leg day after 6 sets of bb squats, 4 sets extensions, 4 sets of SLDL and maybe some lunges." Probably still not then but maybe...
Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else is annoyed by the "common folk," people just don't understand...

Oh yes.....those comments. Oddly enough it has been very rare when I have gotten those comments. A lot of them have been favorable as I have been fortunate enough to surround myself with people that are either into fitness, or they are understanding and supportive.

Of course, the one remark that always makes me chuckle, whether it is in person or in some BB forums is the remark of "I don't want to get TOO BIG!". LOL!! Yeah, I only wish it were that easy!

I have learned that what I do is something I do for me, and no one else. I love to BB and I love being big, and to me it is a mutual thing... I respect those that have their own goals and agendas that are different from mine and I expect the same. In short, I let people know, in all due respect, "don't walk on my lawn and I won't walk on yours". :)

Ron III---III

Staynlean
04-15-2010, 01:37 AM
I have learned that what I do is something I do for me, and no one else. I love to BB and I love being big, and to me it is a mutual thing... I respect those that have their own goals and agendas that are different from mine and I expect the same. In short, I let people know, in all due respect, "don't walk on my lawn and I won't walk on yours". :)

Ron III---III[/QUOTE]

Good words and I certainly respect other peoples priorities as well.

thebigguy1
04-15-2010, 02:10 AM

Ron III---III

Good words and I certainly respect other peoples priorities as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you do, and I know that sometimes it can be frustrating when people make a comment, and sometimes it is in the guise of "good intentions". But whatever the case. just keep doing what you're doing and know that you are making an investment not only in the betterment of your physique, but also the quality of your life for many many years to come!

Good luck, and keep lifting and growing!

Ron III---III

Krossceeper
04-15-2010, 04:40 AM
Completely understand I think diet is the worst thing to try and talk to a normal person about, people just have all these misconceptions about how and what you should eat. Even if you explain how you eat and why they still dont think its right. Friends / Family are always saying "Andrew you need to eat this/that". One of my best friends just started going to the "gym", and by gym I mean his dad put 1000$ worth of gym equipment in there garage but anyway he calls me up and says dude I gotta order some protein is this any good blah blah blah. Guarantee you if I actually sat down and asked Why do you think you need this protein?? He wouldnt be able to give me an answer..or at least not the correct one.

Im gonna stop there, starting to rage lol.

GreenWave1
04-15-2010, 05:32 AM
I don't get a lot of comments any more. I pray for those people. Seriously. Can you imagine how wonderful the world would be if everyone was living a healthy lifestyle?

rpaul11
04-15-2010, 05:37 AM
doesn't bother me one bit.

But I gotta say. I have never eaten out on a regular basis be it mcdonalds or anywhere else. ANd eating healtier costs me a lot more money than eating what I did before. But I do what I do.

rocketman44
04-15-2010, 05:45 AM
People are certainly entitled to have priorites in life other than fitness. But usually their excuses are just a smokescreen. I'd admire them more if they simply said "I'm not into fitness". But few people would admit that. Instead, it's "I don't have time..." , "I don't have money...", etc. But that's human nature. Rather than admit something, even if there's nothing wrong in the admission, we'd rather make an excuse.

IR45N
04-15-2010, 05:50 AM
Recently my wife and I bought a house with a rather large yard and friends keep telling me how sore I am going to be from cutting the grass.

Might be fun to freak 'em out and show them your push lawnmower.:D

Let it slide. Where are you getting this the most; at work where your own meal choices get dissed? Really, don't see how it needs to come up other than letting those know you're fine with what you're eating or doing and you not commenting on their choices.

You do bring up a good point; the McD's etc. they may advertise dollar/value meals but the bulk anywhere are these full meal combos/supersizers etc. What's actually good in all this; maybe the meat patty and lettuce, tomato; the rest-the drink, ton of fries, bread, special sauce-whole lotta crap you're really paying for.

Brackneyc
04-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Since I have lost a ton of weight (72 lbs), I get a lot more "How did you do that" versus "Why do you do that." For those I feel are truly interested, I break it down. For those who I know aren't (and it isn't too hard to tell the difference), I simply tell them I am eating better and exercising. If I started talking about protein shakes and macros, their heads would spin, and they would be "Supersizing" lunch to get themselves back to normal. :)

mikieson
04-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Eating healthy is more expensive. Its not a secret. Bag of chips,bologna,bread,Ramen noodles for several meals for under 10$ vs fresh vegies,fresh meat,fresh fruits,ect. Not saying NOT to eat well. Just saying that " I THINK" the government has it planed this way. Keep junk food affordable, keep Americans over weight, keep Americans on tons of prescriptions,keep Americans spending millions of dollars at Docs..

For most people changing their every day lives is a huge deal. No matter how "easy" someone tries to make it look. Nobody wants to be in the gym. Nobody wants to eat a chicken breast,brussle sprouts,brown rice. Nobody wants to drink water. In reality pizza,hamburgers,fries,fried chicken,ice cream ect are better, no matter what we try and convince ourselves of otherwise.

So what you do?? jog 3 miles a day, eat foods you dont want, spend 2hrs a day in the gym, and down a gallon of water a day?....OR....grab some McDs,a DVD,some beer,and chill? Most people chose the last.

lanolar
04-15-2010, 06:46 AM
The one that irritates me the most is "Oh i don't have time to spend all day in the gym, I'm WAY too busy!"

Meaning that not only must I be in the gym ALL DAY, but I am such a loser that I must have nothing else going on in my life. Unlike them, they are soo important and busy in their life.

Thats when I turn jerkish and I say soemthing like "yea, you are too busy watching American idol and eating pizza on the couch".

redweston
04-15-2010, 06:51 AM

What I love is when they say that is the reason that people of lower incomes are overweight, because of the cost, you can by a 1/2 dozen pcs of fruit for what one bag of chips cost ! lol
Keeponpumpin- red !

cozener
04-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Generally I don't hear comments like this from my friends and family. My family encourages me. My wife does get aggravated with my protein needs (but then, she's pretty easy to aggravate).

Now...all that said...once a friend of mine did say something that made me want to smack the hell out of him. He's overweight...actually...dude is just fat. He's 5'10 and weighs 230. We were talking about working out and he was telling me about his weight lifting routine (actually I'm not convinced that he actually has one considering that he sold me his weight set). I told him that all the weight lifting in the world isn't going to much help without at least a semi healthy diet and some cardio. He tells me "Nah, I think I'm just meant to be 230"

What!? You're MEANT to be 40 pounds overweight?! Hey...you wanna be fat, fine. Be fat. But don't say to me that its "meant to be" like it was written in the stars, decreed by some omniscient being, or prophesied by some drugged up Sumerian priestess! Dude! WTF!

/rant

David Wiggins
04-15-2010, 07:14 AM
'Bout the only one that continues to aggravate me:

You'll hurt yourself lifting all that weight!

Followed by something like: pass me the doughnuts, what's for desert, help me pick this up, help me up these steps, what blood pressure medicine do you take, etc.

BrotherWolf
04-15-2010, 07:15 AM

Not one bit, I don't expect anyone to understand

"I don't want to get TOO BIG!". LOL!! Yeah, I only wish it were that easy!

Except for this ^^^ LOL always a good laugh when I hear it

Klayfish
04-15-2010, 07:16 AM
doesn't bother me one bit. But I do what I do.

QFT

While I'm happy to discuss it with anyone who has a genuine curiousity, at the end of the day, I'm not interested in what anyone else says or thinks about it. I do this for me, and nobody else.

themyth2009
04-15-2010, 07:18 AM
No it makes me look all the better. Yes center of my own universe.

Old-Time-Lifter
04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Eating healthy is more expensive. Its not a secret. Bag of chips,bologna,bread,Ramen noodles for several meals for under 10$ vs fresh vegies,fresh meat,fresh fruits,ect. Not saying NOT to eat well. Just saying that " I THINK" the government has it planed this way. Keep junk food affordable, keep Americans over weight, keep Americans on tons of prescriptions,keep Americans spending millions of dollars at Docs..

For most people changing their every day lives is a huge deal. No matter how "easy" someone tries to make it look. Nobody wants to be in the gym. Nobody wants to eat a chicken breast,brussle sprouts,brown rice. Nobody wants to drink water. In reality pizza,hamburgers,fries,fried chicken,ice cream ect are better, no matter what we try and convince ourselves of otherwise.

So what you do?? jog 3 miles a day, eat foods you dont want, spend 2hrs a day in the gym, and down a gallon of water a day?....OR....grab some McDs,a DVD,some beer,and chill? Most people chose the last.

What would dbx say about this post??? Man oh man oh man............. that would likely be a classic. LOL

I'm sure he'd mention that past post about the government not giving you enough money to feed you since you've decided not to work. :eek:

dbx............ you out there pal? LOL

BestYearEver
04-15-2010, 08:44 AM
this is my all time favorite: "I don't want to get too big."

Hahaha! I actually told someone who said this, "well, it's not like it's going to sneak up on you."

The one that irritates me the most is "Oh i don't have time to spend all day in the gym, I'm WAY too busy!"

Meaning that not only must I be in the gym ALL DAY, but I am such a loser that I must have nothing else going on in my life. Unlike them, they are soo important and busy in their life.

Heard this one too, but I've always assumed this was code for "you're self-absorbed and narcissistic." Now I have something else to be insecure about -- they also think I'm a loser with nothing better to do. :D That reminds me, must get off bb.com and file tax extension today.... see, I do have something better to do!

'Bout the only one that continues to aggravate me:

You'll hurt yourself lifting all that weight!

Followed by something like: pass me the doughnuts, what's for desert, help me pick this up, help me up these steps, what blood pressure medicine do you take, etc.

Haven't heard this one (not beastly strong like you, lol), but have been asked why do you want to do that (DL, bb squat, etc) -- could only say, because I think I can!

No it makes me look all the better. Yes center of my own universe.

Hahaha! See above comment about being narcissistic. :p Of course a silver lining to getting older is that so many people let themselves go as they age, by the time you're 46 it's not really all that hard to "look good for your age." Pretty sure I can do better than that. ;) My self-absorbed side is on a roll today! lol

Oceanside
04-15-2010, 09:03 AM

I read this,thought about it ,and then realized, I can't do anything with this post.

LWW
04-15-2010, 09:28 AM

for $10 I can get a couple boxes of decent pasta, an amount of carrots or what ever veggie I can get a bargin on, garlic and a can of tomatoes and make a nice pasta dish (or pasta salad) that lasts most of the week.

it can be expensive to eat like a full fledge bb'er, however it's not nor does one need to spend hours training to be strong,fit,lean and healthy.

rejones1976
04-15-2010, 10:00 AM

Too right, I have ta similiar problem with my wife moaning about how much I spend on sups and food and the time I spend in the gym (which is only 10 hours a week inc showers etc) instead of "family time" . My answers to her are simple...

1. I'm the main earner so I'll spend my money on the only f'ing hobby I have.
2. I need to eat alot because I need it unlike you who's only exercise comes from ironing my shirts for work.
3. I get up at 5.30am to get my arse to the gym to start my workout @ 6.30am while you are still dreaming of the body I've enhanced. I come home to find you and the kids on the sofa watching TV like zombies. So what precious "famlily time" have I f**kinh missed?

Back to your point which was very well made btw it really annoys me my when people find excuses not to get in shape. If you asked me to drop 3 stones, I could do it in as many months. Wasters the lot of them!

themyth2009
04-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Too right, I have ta similiar problem with my wife moaning about how much I spend on sups and food and the time I spend in the gym (which is only 10 hours a week inc showers etc) instead of "family time" . My answers to her are simple...

2. I need to eat alot because I need it unlike you who's only exercise comes from ironing my shirts for work.
3. I get up at 5.30am to get my arse to the gym to start my workout @ 6.30am while you are still dreaming of the body I've enhanced. I come home to find you and the kids on the sofa watching TV like zombies. So what precious "famlily time" have I f**kinh missed?

Back to your point which was very well made btw it really annoys me my when people find excuses not to get in shape. If you asked me to drop 3 stones, I could do it in as many months. Wasters the lot of them!

With that attitude cant see why she would ever moan at you?

Oceanside
04-15-2010, 10:13 AM

I'll call bullsh*t here....

she's probably got you on a monthly allowance and an incredibly short leash .

themyth2009
04-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I'll call bullsh*t here....

she's probably got you on a monthly allowance and an incredibly short leash .

lmao

Nikonguy
04-15-2010, 10:34 AM

BOO YAA! Was she standing in the kitchen making you a sammich when you said this? :rolleyes:

my money is on Oceansides version

DanielBeauchamp
04-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I know EXACTLY what you mean, OP. One of my friends was telling me: "Oh, I don't want to go to the gym because I don't want to look like this guy." (Points to a pro BBer) "Girls don't like that much muscle anyway."

Um.......WOT?!

Who gives a sh!t about what other people want you to look like? That's not why you should be lifting; to try to achieve some else's ideal for you.

Anyway...

It's fun giving people a hand with jobs that are difficult for them but easier for you because you're getting stronger. :D This one lady was closing up her shop in the mall and the door was stuck or something so I asked if she needed help. It was really jammed but I gave it a good shake and tug and it slid out smoothly enough. Felt great helping someone out.

mikieson
04-15-2010, 11:06 AM
What would dbx say about this post??? Man oh man oh man............. that would likely be a classic. LOL

I'm sure he'd mention that past post about the government not giving you enough money to feed you since you've decided not to work. :eek:

dbx............ you out there pal? LOL

I read this,thought about it ,and then realized, I can't do anything with this post.

for $10 I can get a couple boxes of decent pasta, an amount of carrots or what ever veggie I can get a bargin on, garlic and a can of tomatoes and make a nice pasta dish (or pasta salad) that lasts most of the week.

it can be expensive to eat like a full fledge bb'er, however it's not nor does one need to spend hours training to be strong,fit,lean and healthy.
I really dont know what else to say about. Eating healthy does cost more guys..lol..ITS TRUE...Not only do I check things when I go shopping, BUT I have seen countles shows about eating healthy and them saying..."eating healthy will cost a little more but its worth it"..HOW much more is another thing. WHy attack me when im right? Hell attack me when im wrong all you want.

I think if you are cooking "MAYBE" for 1-2 people...maybe not so bad to eat picky. BUT when you are cooking for a few people it will end up costing more. CASE IN POINT...1 bag of boneless chicken breast is like 8$. You get about 6 pieces in it. If you feed 4 people 1 chicken each thats a lot of chicken if you do this a couple nights a week. BUT if you feed 2 people heck thats 3 whole nights of chicken.

I know you wont get it, but still...on this ...I am right. Not saying it gives people the right to eat like crap. But it certainly isnt something "WE" can do on an every day basis. Keep in mind..we have 2 freezers full of freshly killed cow and pig..As fresh and lean as you can get and we eat it daily. We eat just fine. Not perfect but fine.

And TO ME...the GOV,FOOD CHAINS and DOCS are in cahoots...How much money would they lose if they had only healthy foods in their stores?

themyth2009
04-15-2010, 11:19 AM
I really dont know what else to say about. Eating healthy does cost more guys..lol..ITS TRUE...Not only do I check things when I go shopping, BUT I have seen countles shows about eating healthy and them saying..."eating healthy will cost a little more but its worth it"..HOW much more is another thing. WHy attack me when im right? Hell attack me when im wrong all you want.

I think if you are cooking "MAYBE" for 1-2 people...maybe not so bad to eat picky. BUT when you are cooking for a few people it will end up costing more. CASE IN POINT...1 bag of boneless chicken breast is like 8$. You get about 6 pieces in it. If you feed 4 people 1 chicken each thats a lot of chicken if you do this a couple nights a week. BUT if you feed 2 people heck thats 3 whole nights of chicken.

I know you wont get it, but still...on this ...I am right. Not saying it gives people the right to eat like crap. But it certainly isnt something "WE" can do on an every day basis. Keep in mind..we have 2 freezers full of freshly killed cow and pig..As fresh and lean as you can get and we eat it daily. We eat just fine. Not perfect but fine.

And TO ME...the GOV,FOOD CHAINS and DOCS are in cahoots...How much money would they lose if they had only healthy foods in their stores?

I believe eating healthy does cost more but you may eat less and save $'s. Ever sit down and eat an entire bag of chips. Pretty tough to eat too much chicken and veggies.

As far as the food companies in cahoots...if the healthy sheet cost more wouldnt it be better for the food companies to sell the healthy stuff. It probably has a higher GM as well so it would be a double benefit to the food co's.

As far as the drug companies being in cahoots with the govt hell yes.

But you do seem to contradict yourself. The Govt wants us to eat unhealthy but it costs more then you later state that no one wants to eat healthy. So which is it? A choice or Govt intervention? If no one wants to the Govt does not need to do a thing. I dont remember too many people considering cost as they stuff **** down their throats. I know lots of poor people 100 of LB's over weight. Surely they could afford enough healthy food at a reasonable weight? Lots of people run out to Mcdonalds for lunch get the extra value meal for $5-6. I pack my lunches eat 2lbs of chicken breast (1.99 on sale + my wife coupons so we get deals) and veggies for the same or less.

LWW
04-15-2010, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=mikieson;477191421
So what you do?? jog 3 miles a day, eat foods you dont want, spend 2hrs a day in the gym, and down a gallon of water a day?....OR....grab some McDs,a DVD,some beer,and chill? Most people chose the last.[/QUOTE]

what wrong with chilli? I've seen deals on 90% ground beef many times, over 1lb under $5, then the beans,cheese, tomatoes, potatoes all good foods.

the only time eating chilli made me fat was when I ate on the clock, if it's the only meal I eat then it's all good, also more than 2-bowls goes well after a 40rep squat.

.......dozen eggs under $2, sometimes you can get 18 for $1!

18eggs lasts me over a week.

KLR650
04-15-2010, 12:11 PM

I was a regular junk food junkie before and honestly I was astonished at just how cheap eating healthy is.

It can be time consuming to prepare - but honestly how many people live less than 10 minutes from a McD's? So I made the choice to spend an extra 15 minutes in the kitchen and prepare my food. I'm definitely saving money.

I do occasionally go out to fast food joints or restaurants, but in general I find that the food is universally bland. Like Edward G Robinson said in Soylent Green - "tasteless, odorless, crud".

BrightJock
04-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Absolutely, Yes! I hold it in and tell myself I should be nicer, but, honestly, it seem like such a negative, lazy opinion to have to justify being unhealthy.

One of my friends is an overweight woman who has no clue about nutrition. She thinks it would be expensive to eat healthily. And I'm thinking to myself, "It costs me $50 a week to eat clean shopping at Trader Joe's. How bad can it be?"

And this woman is educated, smart, and in a lot of other ways on the ball, but that attitude really grates on me.

I have to remind myself we were all ignorant at one point... it's the one's that are willfully so that push my buttons! ;-)

JOHN GARGANI
04-15-2010, 05:53 PM
"THE GREATEST IGNORANCE IS TO REJECT SOMETHING YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT"

that sums it up for the rubes out there...and not just for bodybuilding...

I get those with fishing all the time: " you fish and you don't eat them?"

to which I answer: " after the cowboy lassos the Calf and ties his legs, does he bring him to a spit and roast him?" lol....

but again, where ignorance is bliss 'tis folly to be wise.....so I say, let them languor in their comfortably numb miasma of obfuscation...

LOL.....

pharmamarketer
04-15-2010, 06:27 PM

that sums it up for the rubes out there...and not just for bodybuilding...

I get those with fishing all the time: " you fish and you don't eat them?"

to which I answer: " after the cowboy lassos the Calf and ties his legs, does he bring him to a spit and roast him?" lol....

but again, where ignorance is bliss 'tis folly to be wise.....so I say, let them languor in their comfortably numb miasma of obfuscation...

LOL.....

Reps to catch and release. I do the same. Please accept my meager reps.

Well I tried to give them but seems I need to spread the wealth before I give you more

Brackneyc
04-15-2010, 06:40 PM

Second to this must be those who ignore what has proven to work (strict diet and consistent exercise), and replaces that (strict diet and exercise) with something some "huckster" on the boob tube tells them will work.

mikieson
04-15-2010, 07:08 PM
I think my favorite healthy meal would be...A nice big piece of some lean meat "chicken,beef,pork,fish" dont care which one...Some mixed veggies. Not sure of all the veggies in it,but it looks like some squash,carrots,broc****,cauliflower,and something that looks like a cucumber or something..some brown rice "kind of like at the chines restaurants" And a baked potato with some garlic salt. Throw in some watermelon , or cantaloupe or maybe a vanilla icecream cone for dessert and im good..:)..now im hungry!!

Defiant1
04-15-2010, 07:13 PM

I find it WAY cheaper and easier to eat healthy. It's just more boring. :D

Staynlean
04-15-2010, 09:29 PM
WOW, you all have great points! Too many for me to respond individually and I appreciate it as well.

Obviously my diet or any BB diet consists of much more than what I listed in my OP. BUT, those are the basics/staples of my diet (exception of eggs but those are EXTREMELY inexpensive.) I completely agree with a lot of you in that preparation is probably what holds a lot of people back, BUT... with a Bodybuilders discipline we struggle through this- we know that what we are doing is HALF THE BATTLE.

People are LAZY (I don't have to point that out or highlight it) so getting into that lifestyle is 'extra work'. That was one of the most difficult things for me and still is to this day. Boiling 5 or 6 chicken breasts is not exactly fun and certainly nothing to look forward to.

Most of my 'encounters' seem to come from co-workers. I work at a large company where there is always someone new seeing me eat several times a day either straight out of a tuna can or a Tupperware bowl- Mind your own business if all you have is a smart comment about it.

thebigguy1
04-16-2010, 02:40 AM
"Most of my 'encounters' seem to come from co-workers. I work at a large company where there is always someone new seeing me eat several times a day either straight out of a tuna can or a Tupperware bowl- Mind your own business if all you have is a smart comment about it".

Ahh the co-workers and their utterly nonsensical comments in regards to your training/lifestyle. Later for those couch potatoes! :)

This remark reminded me of my training partner/friend and the story he told me about what went on in his office one day. Apparently someone in his office complained about him eating a bowl of oatmeal in his office daily.Now mind you he is no slob, he eats in the privacy of his office where there is NO traffic, and how someone came across what was this HUGE office indiscretion is beyond me!

So my friend's boss tells him about it jokingly, and said that he told the complainer that he must have too much time on his hands and not enough work to do if he walks around complaining about what other people are doing all day! LOL!

In any case, yes, it seems as if co-workers spend way too much time dabbling in other people's affairs and should mind their own business. And yes, you do sometimes get the business if you are a bodybuilder and are working in an office full of people that simply do not "get it". Just educate those when you can, ignore those that you can't educate, and let your results be your testament. :)

Ron III---III

P.S. watch out for those office "pot lucks" "doughnut runs" and "food extravaganzas".. :)

Staynlean
04-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Ahh the co-workers and their utterly nonsensical comments in regards to your training/lifestyle. Later for those couch potatoes! :)

This remark reminded me of my training partner/friend and the story he told me about what went on in his office one day. Apparently someone in his office complained about him eating a bowl of oatmeal in his office daily.Now mind you he is no slob, he eats in the privacy of his office where there is NO traffic, and how someone came across what was this HUGE office indiscretion is beyond me!

So my friend's boss tells him about it jokingly, and said that he told the complainer that he must have too much time on his hands and not enough work to do if he walks around complaining about what other people are doing all day! LOL!

In any case, yes, it seems as if co-workers spend way too much time dabbling in other people's affairs and should mind their own business. And yes, you do sometimes get the business if you are a bodybuilder and are working in an office full of people that simply do not "get it". Just educate those when you can, ignore those that you can't educate, and let your results be your testament. :)

Ron III---III

P.S. watch out for those office "pot lucks" "doughnut runs" and "food extravaganzas".. :)

Ahh yes and once again well spoken my friend. I Really do enjoy sharing my knowledge when the opportunities present themselves.