PDA

View Full Version : Good on the go pre-workout meals?

PuffinMyLye
04-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm usually traveling between multiple locations from about 1pm-4:30pm and don't get home from work till 5:15. I get home about 30-45 minutes before I workout so the only thing I can really have is a 30g protein shake. Is that sufficient? I've read many posts about getting a solid whole food meal an hour or 2 before working out. That just doesn't seem possible with my schedule. Are there any better pre-workout meals for those of you that are always on the go?

Trillios
04-13-2010, 09:29 PM
You can add some type of fruit and peanut butter to that shake. Go crazy you can add anything you have at home. Make it a solid MEAL doesn't have to be whole food.

PuffinMyLye
04-13-2010, 09:30 PM
You can add some type of fruit and peanut butter to that shake. Go crazy you can add anything you have at home. Make it a solid MEAL doesn't have to be whole food.

I guess my question is what do I need in this pre-workout meal? Carbs? Fats? Also is 30-45 minutes enough time to digest a meal replacement shake before working out?

FunkymonkAW
04-13-2010, 09:31 PM
-Protein bar
-banana/fruit and a shaker/powder (fill the shaker with water, add powder in from a bag)

Also, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=11356062&postcount=3088

Trillios
04-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I guess my question is what do I need in this pre-workout meal? Carbs? Fats? Also is 30-45 minutes enough time to digest a meal replacement shake before working out?

Yes a combination of all 3 macronutrients. Nothing excessive just a little bit of each. 30-45 mins is more than enough although I suggest having something low in fiber so you don't feel too full during the workout.

mass922
04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
People may hate you because of the smell, but I like to mix (or eat separately, but mixing makes cool textures/taste combos)

- Pouch of tuna
- Apple
- Almonds
- Cashews
- Raisins

Approximately 50g of protein, 300 cal

Jeclavad
04-14-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm usually traveling between multiple locations from about 1pm-4:30pm and don't get home from work till 5:15. I get home about 30-45 minutes before I workout so the only thing I can really have is a 30g protein shake. Is that sufficient? I've read many posts about getting a solid whole food meal an hour or 2 before working out. That just doesn't seem possible with my schedule. Are there any better pre-workout meals for those of you that are always on the go?

If you have enough energy in the gym with the protein shake go for it.
If you are feeling weak then add a banana/oats/nut butter/... in the shake or eat some dried fruits.
Another solution is to eat a banana/few nuts/protein bar/... when you're at work and then drink the protein shake if you feel you need it.