PDA

View Full Version : Cayenne Pepper-Weightlifter's best friend?

JC480
04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Cayenne Pepper is an herb and contains capcasin ... an ingredient in tobasco sauce, hot peppers, etc.

The degree of heat which it produces is measured in Hu (Heat Units). Store bought cayenne pepper is around 25,000 to 30,000 Hu. You can buy it all the way up to 120,000 Hu. 35,000 is a good starting point (it's fairly hot folks).

You can ingest this with food, in your protein shake or in water.

1/4 teaspoon in a half glass of water burns going down...not 3rd degree burns but it's plenty hot. A full glass on an empty stomach is the fastest way to see the benefits I'll discuss in a second. The downside to a full glass on an empty stomach is you'll need to piss shortly...and it burns coming out : ( Drinking water with a meal alleviates the pee burn.

You can put a 1/4 teaspoon with your protein shake which is a bit easier as the protein powder seems to mitigate the burn somewhat.

Okay so...to address the title..

I drink this with breakfast before I go to the gym at 6 a.m.
- After being on the elliptical for 2 minutes (warming up) the sweat is starting
- I am sweating very nicely by the middle of my workout...I sweat anyway, but the pepper brings it on faster...this is because this stuff improves your circulation like crazy. So...if it improves the rate at which you sweat, think about the rate at which blood surgest to your muscles.
- My performance lifting weights feels a bit stronger but this can be a placebo effect or a mental thing...your mileage may vary
- most importantly, this stuff is a POWERFUL anti inflammatory. I'm telling you within 2 days I felt like a new man. Stiffness and low grade pain have been something I've lived with for a few months (I ran out of this stuff and forgot to re-order)...man talk about helping with recovery. Take a 1/4 tsp with your protein shake post workout and I absolutely promise you will feel better...if you have any sort of tendonitis, arthritis or various stiffness issues...this stuff will absolutely improve your recovery

Cayenne pepper also lowers cholesterol, is a source of vitamin a, improves circulation (very important for muscle growth), can help with VO2 capacity (circulation improvements), has some health benefits for your digestive system and is considered a cancer fighting food source

Alot of guys are spending big money on nitrogen based supplements...cayenne pepper is crazy cheap ($6/pound) and is the real deal. Think about people eating those hot peppers sweating their ass off...this is what you're going to experience at the gym...it burns a bit going down (not unbearable) and, unlike a pepper, won't send you running for a gallon of milk.

Try it out and post your thoughts in this thread. You should notice results within 24 to 48 hours...guys with arthritis and stiffness I really really encourage you to try this.

DCSpartan
04-12-2010, 08:10 PM
cool story bro

yakabebe
04-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Can you get in capsule form?

pac8x8
04-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Can you get in capsule form?

yes.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/cay.html

I prefer buying it in bulk because you save a bundle & I like hot stuff anyway... I'm on the same bag for 4 years

edit: when i used to eat clean back in '90-'92, I'd put it on Brown Rice - now I just stick a tit in a protein drink.

AKMass
04-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Cayenne pepper also revs up your metabolism and helps burn fat. The studies I've seen used about 6g a day to get a good fat burning response.

Fortunately, I love hot food so getting plenty of capsiacin is not hard for me. :)

yakabebe
04-12-2010, 11:38 PM
yes.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/cay.html
edit: when i used to eat clean back in '90-'92, I'd put it on Brown Rice - now I just stick a tit in a protein drink.

Now THAT'S eatin' right!!!

Thanx for the link

paolo59
04-13-2010, 04:21 AM
Fascinating stuff! I'm going to have to try this out!!!

gjbosick
04-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Ok I have been eating cayenne off and on for a year or so, but I love black pepper and jalapenos, can anyone tell me if these have the same benefits. I also eat a lot of habenero hot sause.

JC480
04-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Ok I have been eating cayenne off and on for a year or so, but I love black pepper and jalapenos, can anyone tell me if these have the same benefits. I also eat a lot of habenero hot sause.
Black pepper has health benefits, but different than cayenne...ditto with jalapenos.

The hot sauce probably has ample amounts of capcasin (sp?) which gives it the burn. A tasty way of adding it to your diet for sure.

Try some before you hit the gym and see what your workout is like.

beachguy498
04-13-2010, 05:52 AM
I take a mens vitamin with capascin in it. I also keep a shaker of cayenne pepper on the table at all times. I grow my own hot peppers in the summer. Hot peppers have lots of benefits, now sure if it has helped me, but I like the taste and heat.

BG

dbx
04-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Cannot believe so many here didn't know that it's a common ingredient in a lot of "fat burning" supps that are sold here and everywhere else. Nothing new, but I guess it is to some. Hot peppers can also aid in lowering HBP.

gjbosick
04-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Black pepper has health benefits, but different than cayenne...ditto with jalapenos.

The hot sauce probably has ample amounts of capcasin (sp?) which gives it the burn. A tasty way of adding it to your diet for sure.

Try some before you hit the gym and see what your workout is like.THanks glad to know I am eating good for ya stuff. Yes the cayenne goes in every shake prior to and after a workout.

kgartin
04-13-2010, 07:26 AM
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to JC480 again."

Oh well...it's the thought that counts! :) Thanks for the info!

AKMass
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Forgot to mention, judicious use of capsaicin also shrinks the prostate gland. Load up on it men! Feel teh burnz!

Its also a good idea to add turmeric along with black pepper (the pepper increases the effect of the turmeric) to ones diet.

dutter
04-13-2010, 11:03 AM
good info....rep

JC480
04-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Forgot to mention, judicious use of capsaicin also shrinks the prostate gland. Load up on it men! Feel teh burnz!
Wait...lol say what? Okay...so assuming this is true...why is shrinking the prostate a good thing? Or are you saying if someone has an enlarged prostate?

Anyway, first I heard of this. Interesting if true.

PS - 3rd day of taking cayenne (again) and it goes down alot easier now that I'm getting used to it. Also upping the amount of powder per. In water, it tastes pretty much like dry tobacco smells.

JC480
04-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Cannot believe so many here didn't know that it's a common ingredient in a lot of "fat burning" supps that are sold here and everywhere else. Nothing new, but I guess it is to some. Hot peppers can also aid in lowering HBP.
Damn...didn't recognize you without your muscle red tank top profile...been a while since I visited this forum :/

AKMass
04-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Wait...lol say what? Okay...so assuming this is true...why is shrinking the prostate a good thing? Or are you saying if someone has an enlarged prostate?

Anyway, first I heard of this. Interesting if true.

PS - 3rd day of taking cayenne (again) and it goes down alot easier now that I'm getting used to it. Also upping the amount of powder per. In water, it tastes pretty much like dry tobacco smells.

Yes, assuming your prostate is enlarged at all. I should have been more specific. heh

Some relevant links...

http://www.jcrows.com/cayenne.html#prostate
http://ezinearticles.com/?Four-Clinical-Studies-Prove-Cayenne-Pepper-Kills-Cancer-Cells&id=815652

hochspeyer
04-14-2010, 04:14 AM
Tumeric+black pepper+tomato juice!! (Also a few other goodies in there, like spirulina!)

beachguy498
04-14-2010, 06:16 AM

Its also a good idea to add turmeric along with black pepper (the pepper increases the effect of the turmeric) to ones diet.

I was disgnosed with an enlerged prostate at age 39. When I was around 46 I came across some men's prostate health vitamins which have cayenne pepper in them. Since taking the vitamins, no more prostate issues. I sleep all night, pee like a race horse when I have to go, no more discomfort. Your results may vary.

BG

jypsea
04-14-2010, 07:08 AM
I was disgnosed with an enlerged prostate at age 39. When I was around 46 I came across some men's prostate health vitamins which have cayenne pepper in them. Since taking the vitamins, no more prostate issues. I sleep all night, pee like a race horse when I have to go, no more discomfort. Your results may vary.

BG

I tried this last night. Just dumped some cayenne into my protien shake. Talk about hot chocolate. The frist sip was a wake up . But ok after that. I entend to keep using it as I have an enlarged prostate. If your over 50 you probley do too.

kgartin
04-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Tumeric+black pepper+tomato juice!! (Also a few other goodies in there, like spirulina!)

Sounds like a virus...

AKMass
04-14-2010, 09:29 AM

Looks delicious. Gotta love curry too.

beachguy498
04-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I tried this last night. Just dumped some cayenne into my protien shake. Talk about hot chocolate. The frist sip was a wake up . But ok after that. I entend to keep using it as I have an enlarged prostate. If your over 50 you probley do too.

Mine's been good for a while. While I like hot food, just not quite ready to go with the cayenne in my shake. It does sound interesting though.

I take a couple of Vitamin Shoppe vitamins, Super Male Plex and Python Extra. SMP has cayenne in it, PE has lots of things that ward off prostate problems. Dirt cheap if you ask me. If I could only take 2 supplements, it would be these 2.

BG

dbx
04-14-2010, 11:22 AM
I take a couple of Vitamin Shoppe vitamins, Super Male Plex and Python Extra. SMP has cayenne in it, PE has lots of things that ward off prostate problems. Dirt cheap if you ask me. If I could only take 2 supplements, it would be these 2.

Let's be clear here, as to not confuse new members; there is "little to none".... when it comes to scientific studies that attest to the efficacy of any supplements that supposedly help prostate issues. The most common and "believed in", like beta-sitosterol and saw palmetto have nothing substantial to back wither one up. Yes, there is plenty of anecdotal support, but other than that...the studies that actually have been done do not support anecdotal observances.

I have personally taken the aforementioned and thought I saw improvement in (a drop) in nighttime visits and other issues associated with an enlarged prostate. After all, my beloved uncle swore by saw palmetto helping him tremendously (doc visits and PSA tests included). Well, time itself bore out the fact that it was nothing more than placebo effect. It's amazing what we can talk ourselves into. Absolutely, freaking amazing. What do you think propels the supp industry into the stratosphere where dollars are concerned? In fact, lol, a physical exam later showed that I don't even have an enlarged prostate...but simply have the common symptoms that we're all psyched about from watching TV commercials! Oh, the symptoms are very real, but the underlying premise is not.

Didn't mean to go off track too far (from subject of cayenne pepper), but threads like this are often laced with broscience (no disrespect intended, BG).

But one last thing that is worth mentioning...and also quite ironic; most of the fat burning supps on the market, including those that contain cayenne pepper? Um..yeah, most have disclaimers that if you have prostate issues...not to use them :). Yes, it's because of other ingredients (not the cayenne), but just sayin'.....

As always, read about what the hell you're ingesting before doing so. And I'll bet a buck that jypsea put cayenne pepper in his shake last night after reading this thread....but never even researched the efficacy himself. I hope I'm wrong, but again, just sayin'............this is a place where broscience takes on a different dimension.

AKMass
04-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Let's be clear here, as to not confuse new members; there is "little to none".... when it comes to scientific studies that attest to the efficacy of any supplements that supposedly help prostate issues. The most common and "believed in", like beta-sitosterol and saw palmetto have nothing substantial to back wither one up. Yes, there is plenty of anecdotal support, but other than that...the studies that actually have been done do not support anecdotal observances.

I have personally taken the aforementioned and thought I saw improvement in (a drop) in nighttime visits and other issues associated with an enlarged prostate. After all, my beloved uncle swore by saw palmetto helping him tremendously (doc visits and PSA tests included). Well, time itself bore out the fact that it was nothing more than placebo effect. It's amazing what we can talk ourselves into. Absolutely, freaking amazing. What do you think propels the supp industry into the stratosphere where dollars are concerned? In fact, lol, a physical exam later showed that I don't even have an enlarged prostate...but simply have the common symptoms that we're all psyched about from watching TV commercials! Oh, the symptoms are very real, but the underlying premise is not.

Didn't mean to go off track too far (from subject of cayenne pepper), but threads like this are often laced with broscience (no disrespect intended, BG).

But one last thing that is worth mentioning...and also quite ironic; most of the fat burning supps on the market, including those that contain cayenne pepper? Um..yeah, most have disclaimers that if you have prostate issues...not to use them :). Yes, it's because of other ingredients (not the cayenne), but just sayin'.....

As always, read about what the hell you're ingesting before doing so. And I'll bet a buck that jypsea put cayenne pepper in his shake last night after reading this thread....but never even researched the efficacy himself. I hope I'm wrong, but again, just sayin'............this is a place where broscience takes on a different dimension.

Fair enough.

However, pharmacists and science have been feeding off of age old "broscience" anecdotal evidence for a long, long time. Its the "bros" that have so often discovered something to work and then its investigated and scientifically validated later.

Its not like the pharmacies have been real reliable either with their science. It seems there are several wonder drugs approved by the "nonbros" that are found to be useless, worse than useless and downright harmful every year.

dbx
04-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Fair enough.

However, pharmacists and science have been feeding off of age old "broscience" anecdotal evidence for a long, long time. Its the "bros" that have so often discovered something to work and then its investigated and scientifically validated later.

Let's put this in proper perspective: It may be the Bros that give a supp attention first, but that doesn't mean science is lacking...just because they didn't really study it first. Kwim?

Its not like the pharmacies have been real reliable either with their science. It seems there are several wonder drugs approved by the "nonbros" that are found to be useless, worse than useless and downright harmful every year.

Once again, let's be clear with what we're saying here, as I see your words being somewhat twisting fact; the pharmaceutical companies are very reliable in reporting what works, but maybe not so forthright in reporting what side effects might be. There is a big difference in what you wrote and what is probably truest.

jypsea
04-14-2010, 12:14 PM

I did indeed check on the effects of cayenne and ones metabolism. And I did notice that most energy and weight loss products do contain some amount of cayenne to speed up ones metabolism, however I only heard about the prostate thing this morning but don't be looking in the mail for your buck anytime soon. I'll be using it to purchase my prescrpition FLOMAX.

dbx
04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
I did indeed check on the effects of cayenne and ones metabolism. And I did notice that most energy and weight loss products do contain some amount of cayenne to speed up ones metabolism, however I only heard about the prostate thing this morning but don't be looking in the mail for your buck anytime soon. I'll be using it to purchase my prescrpition FLOMAX.

You go, man!

Old-Time-Lifter
04-14-2010, 01:12 PM
You go, man!

I think that's the idea............ lol ;)

Skiddlydiddly
04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Great thread! reps to OP.

Didn't know about the anti-inflammatory properties.

yakabebe
04-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Cayenne Pepper is an herb and contains capcasin ... an ingredient in tobasco sauce, hot peppers, etc.

The degree of heat which it produces is measured in Hu (Heat Units). Store bought cayenne pepper is around 25,000 to 30,000 Hu. You can buy it all the way up to 120,000 Hu. 35,000 is a good starting point (it's fairly hot folks).

You can ingest this with food, in your protein shake or in water.

1/4 teaspoon in a half glass of water burns going down...not 3rd degree burns but it's plenty hot. A full glass on an empty stomach is the fastest way to see the benefits I'll discuss in a second. The downside to a full glass on an empty stomach is you'll need to piss shortly...and it burns coming out : ( Drinking water with a meal alleviates the pee burn.

You can put a 1/4 teaspoon with your protein shake which is a bit easier as the protein powder seems to mitigate the burn somewhat.

Okay so...to address the title..

I drink this with breakfast before I go to the gym at 6 a.m.
- After being on the elliptical for 2 minutes (warming up) the sweat is starting
- I am sweating very nicely by the middle of my workout...I sweat anyway, but the pepper brings it on faster...this is because this stuff improves your circulation like crazy. So...if it improves the rate at which you sweat, think about the rate at which blood surgest to your muscles.
- My performance lifting weights feels a bit stronger but this can be a placebo effect or a mental thing...your mileage may vary
- most importantly, this stuff is a POWERFUL anti inflammatory. I'm telling you within 2 days I felt like a new man. Stiffness and low grade pain have been something I've lived with for a few months (I ran out of this stuff and forgot to re-order)...man talk about helping with recovery. Take a 1/4 tsp with your protein shake post workout and I absolutely promise you will feel better...if you have any sort of tendonitis, arthritis or various stiffness issues...this stuff will absolutely improve your recovery

Cayenne pepper also lowers cholesterol, is a source of vitamin a, improves circulation (very important for muscle growth), can help with VO2 capacity (circulation improvements), has some health benefits for your digestive system and is considered a cancer fighting food source

Alot of guys are spending big money on nitrogen based supplements...cayenne pepper is crazy cheap ($6/pound) and is the real deal. Think about people eating those hot peppers sweating their ass off...this is what you're going to experience at the gym...it burns a bit going down (not unbearable) and, unlike a pepper, won't send you running for a gallon of milk.

Try it out and post your thoughts in this thread. You should notice results within 24 to 48 hours...guys with arthritis and stiffness I really really encourage you to try this.

Decided to give this a go notwithstanding dbx's caveats.

Got capsules each of which contain 40,000 heat units

What dose do you recommend - I read somewhere 6gr...but all at once or split during the day and does one need to adjust to this stuff seeing its a capsule

AndroShock
04-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Cayenne pepper also revs up your metabolism and helps burn fat. The studies I've seen used about 6g a day to get a good fat burning response.

Fortunately, I love hot food so getting plenty of capsiacin is not hard for me. :)

I used to put it in my ECA stack

AKMass
04-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Decided to give this a go notwithstanding dbx's caveats.

Got capsules each of which contain 40,000 heat units

What dose do you recommend - I read somewhere 6gr...but all at once or split during the day and does one need to adjust to this stuff seeing its a capsule

Divide it up with meals. If you eat six meals a day, 1g per meal works great.

AKMass
04-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I used to put it in my ECA stack

Thats a good idea. I'm not sure if my stomach could handle it. I was getting some discomfort taking it on an empty stomach.

NuStartAtLat
04-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Where do you get a good price and quality/brand on this stuff? I hear there is a very big diff in quality by brand.

Is there any negative impact on T/E ratio or other hormones (such as thyroid) ?

JC480
04-21-2010, 07:21 PM
I buy this online for like $6/pound. Just use shopping.google.com and search for cayenne pepper.

35,000 or 40,000 Heating Units to start with.

Yakabee...I honestly take like 1/2 tbsp with water before I hit the gym at 6 am (I eat a bowl of oatmeal & a protein shake also).

I usually have another 1/2 tbsp at night after dinner.

The evening dosage is, honestly, for inflammation prevention.

More might be beneficial...I honestly don't know. This portion benefits me. My 2 cents.

Legbuh
04-21-2010, 09:28 PM
I have no problem with heat going down.. it's.. um.. coming out that bothers me. If that wasn't an issue I'd be eating habeneros all day.

JC480
06-20-2010, 05:12 PM
As a follow-up...I got up to about 2 tbsp per day (1 A.M. and 1 before bed). Unfortunate side effect to this is your bowel movement heats up...it's not painful but something other than normal and not a welcome feeling in any case.

SerpentHearted
06-20-2010, 06:15 PM
this is great news.

I recently started making french toast (gotta get my eggs in!) with some cayenne pepper in the mix, without even realising it had these effects.

I'm gonna add more now.

pastorgbc
06-20-2010, 07:40 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but I am a big fan of cayenne pepper. I have worked up to getting a teaspoon a day. I add it to protein shakes, yogurt, on eggs, etc.

Ray

dungeonmistress
06-20-2010, 09:44 PM
i bought a bottle today from bb.com after reading this. figure can't hurt (except maybe my hiney lol but(t) i hope not).

pastorgbc
06-21-2010, 03:41 AM
One thing to consider is that ingesting cayenne is much better than taking tablets. The reason is that once it is in the mouth, it starts the whole digestive process (making saliva, coating the stomach, etc) due to the power of the capsaicin. This allows the body to utilitze the benefits of the cayenne much more efficiently.

Plus, the price is much better buying it as a bulk spice than paying for the tabs.

I'm also growing some in my yard right now. I hope it takes.

Ray

JOHN GARGANI
06-21-2010, 04:33 AM
just some personal input here:

I tried cayenne, many moons ago and had to stop, as it would give me nothing but heartburn.....

I have had chronic prostatitis since 30 years old, and cayenne did nothing to relieve it....

I recently had a turkey burger in a diner, and it was a little heavy on the pepper and soon after that, I had ( what is rare to me ) heartburn again, so it is possible that I simply have an aversion to pepper in general.....

oh, and IRON: saw palmetto never helped much to relieve prostate symptoms here, either, however, I will swear the effects are lessened by Beta Sitosterol which I currently do take....

Chronic prostatitis is a little different than just enlarged prostate: it is ALL THE TIME, but, normally, sub clinical, however, it never really goes away, and , at times, flares up a bit more, or, at times, there is enlargement also.....

basically it is doctorese for " live with it", which I basically have for the last 30 years, along with many other chronic nagging things that make life more fun! LOL....

beachguy498
06-21-2010, 05:32 AM
Great thread, glad to see it still going. I was out back yesterday tending to the garden, I have 5 types of hot pepper plants going and all are doing well. Can't wait to sample some of the heat!

BG

Karl_Hungus
06-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Just tried 3/4 teaspoon with some low sodium V8, and it was quite good! Spices up the bland flavor of the low sodium variety...

Witherfist
06-22-2010, 12:14 AM
I've built up a resistance to the heat, but it took about a week. I bought the capsules at first. The first one made my stomach feel like I drank Draino. I drank a bunch of milk to kill the pain.

After that, I emptied a lot out of the capsules and just left a little more in it each time.

From what I've read, it's one of the miracle natural supplements; cleans out all your insides so your body can rejuvenate them.

ghosteater
06-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Cayanne is great. There is a HUGE variety in "strength," if you don't like spicy then let it go, you don't need everything. If you like ir don't mind spicy foods then get something strong from a qulaity source (health or gourmet food store). The large bottles of spices at grocery stores can often go months from harvest to consumption and all spices are documented to deplete in chemical value over time.

Personally, I add about a quarter teaspoon to my post-workout shake. I don't measure, just shake some in and add more if it tastes like it needs it. I like snap it gives, completements the sweetness of fruit well and it is well documented to aid circulation.

Here's my two cents- forget about the pills, everything is better in whole food form if available. Get it strong and fresh. Forget about over-analyzing your total intake levels. Add some where you can without offending your taste buds. It seems to me PWO would be good timing but not essential.

jdmt37
07-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Great thread. I'm going to pick some up this evening. I'll let ya'll know how it works "out" tomorrow morn.

shlape
07-01-2010, 07:45 PM

For those suffering winter at the moment, and those who don't look forward to it, here's something in addition to cayenne pepper: ginger and horseradish. Have all three in a meal pre-workout and you'll be sweating on your way to the gym. ;)

pastorgbc
07-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I am also a huge fan of ginger. I like to drink a cup of ginger tea in the afternoon after my workout (made with fresh ginger; 3 cups water, 5 slices of ginger, boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Two very nice and potent cups of tea).

One of life's very nice pleasures is crystllized ginger. Soft and chewy with some sugar on it. It is a great low cal and low carb way to satisfy the sweet tooth while getting your ginger fix.

Ginger and cayenne. Life is good.

Marius_Ursus
07-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Three drops of Tabasco in a cup of coffee is not noticeable at all and a great way to get your capscaisaciranicn...cpaaicaidsssin...

Anti-inflammatory pepper stuff.

Marius_Ursus
07-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I am also a huge fan of ginger. I like to drink a cup of ginger tea in the afternoon after my workout (made with fresh ginger; 3 cups water, 5 slices of ginger, boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Two very nice and potent cups of tea).

One of life's very nice pleasures is crystllized ginger. Soft and chewy with some sugar on it. It is a great low cal and low carb way to satisfy the sweet tooth while getting your ginger fix.

Ginger and cayenne. Life is good.

<3 ginger, too. I keep a bag of it next to my can of mixed nuts...box of ginger candy in the Jeep next to my gum, too. A little bit better habit than smoking.

Ginger is wonderful.

billrich210
07-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I eat a lot of cayenne and other peppers. Once you get used to it meats and veggies are not the same without it. Never had any stomach problems from it but sure makes my head sweat. I started eating it years ago for the thermogenic benefits in the digestive system. If it heats up your guts, it must be burning some calories, I always thought. The other end gets numb to it after a while. Have dinner with some real mexicans sometime and see if you can keep up!

greenleaf
07-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Can cayenne be classified as a stim since it raises metabolism? I'm cycling off EC at the moment...

pastorgbc
07-06-2010, 03:41 AM
Can cayenne be classified as a stim since it raises metabolism? I'm cycling off EC at the moment...
Cayenne is not a stim because it does not affect the nervous system.

It does stimulate endorphins, though, which will give increased alertness and sometimes a sense of euphoria. But is does not tax the nervous system, which is good.

Ray

JC480
07-06-2010, 05:12 AM
Three drops of Tabasco in a cup of coffee is not noticeable at all and a great way to get your capscaisaciranicn...cpaaicaidsssin...

Anti-inflammatory pepper stuff.
Thanks Marius...that's a good tip.

Incidentally, I love a cup of black coffee after I shoot down a tbsp of cayenne with a small amount of water...the burning sensation + coffee is pleasant once you get used to it.

Daio
07-06-2010, 05:41 AM
good thread guys.....thinking about trying it for my shoulder tendonitis :)

G500
07-06-2010, 10:30 AM
just went to Sprouts and bought "cool cayenne" Hope it works. Never thought about cayenne unti I read this thread

scottkeen
07-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Good thread on Cayenne Pepper. I just went out to the natural foods store and bought 1 lb of 35,000 hu ground cayenne pepper.

I put it in EVERYTHING I eat, practically. My egg white omelettes in the mornings get a healthy dose. My grilled flank steak and quinoa get another healthy dose mid-afternoon. My grilled fish and salad dinner get cayenne. I even put it on my peanut butter and apple snacks, and I swear I'm gonna try it on cottage cheese and oatmeal and in my protein shakes.

Can I OD on cayenne? I'm not very tolerant of spicy hot food, but cayenne doesn't seem to have a long lasting burn, so I don't mind eating it with everything.

I've put it in my "Chocolate Protein Bombs" and it works!

Spicy Chocolate Protein Bombs
-----
1 cup raw oatmeal uncooked
1 cup chocolate protein powder
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup low sodium organic peanut butter
1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper

Mix in a bowl with a little water to get a cookie dough consistency. Drop by the spoonful onto a non-stick surface and chill in the refrigerator. Makes about 12-15 bombs.

Marius_Ursus
07-07-2010, 06:51 AM
I came down with a wicked cold over the weekend and found a really interested way to get my Cayenne.

In a nasal spray. :eek:

G500
07-07-2010, 12:18 PM
I must be taking too many cayenne capsules. Sort of got an upset stomach Guess I will have to cut back to 1 capsule to start.

pastorgbc
07-08-2010, 04:09 AM
I must be taking too many cayenne capsules. Sort of got an upset stomach Guess I will have to cut back to 1 capsule to start.
You may want to try simply adding cayenne to your food. If you eat it, it tends not to upset the stomach so much, and after a while your body will begin to tolerate it more. This is because peppers high in capsaicin start the digestive process powerfully when they are sensed in the mouth; your mouth makes more saliva, which causes your stomach to coat itself and secrete acids and enzymes, etc.

I suffer from heartburn due to a hiatus hernia, and if I eat my cayenne along with ginger, I do not have any problems.

Ray

JolietKev
07-08-2010, 04:39 AM
I mix cayenne, tumeric, black pepper and olive oil in water. Chug down and then drink more water.

pastorgbc
07-08-2010, 04:43 AM
I mix cayenne, tumeric, black pepper and olive oil in water. Chug down and then drink more water.
Sounds good, brother.

You could probably add some onions and cook that up with chicken as well :)

Ray

JolietKev
07-08-2010, 05:24 AM
Sounds good, brother.

You could probably add some onions and cook that up with chicken as well :)

Ray

I would do that, however when I cook, I have to do so with my 3 1/2 yo in mind so I do not want to do anything too spicy. A garlic clove or two a day is great as well.

JolietKev
07-08-2010, 05:29 AM
I just decided to put a little in my Size ON. Orange Spice. :)

Viper098
07-08-2010, 07:31 AM
teaspoon of cayanne pepper each night before bed and one at breakfast time!

steeperdolphin
07-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm going to try this!

jdmt37
07-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Since i've been taking 1 teaspoon a day my lower back feels 1000% better. May be all in my mind, but it sure feels good.

JUSA
07-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Will check it out. Anti-inflamms are great, I suffer from mild asthema and I hate coughing all the time working out. The other added benefits sound interesting, too.

I wonder, what will it taste like in my PWO, though?

Normally I drink 1 cup chocolate milk, 1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop whey, 3 tbsp cocoa and 1 tbsp honey. Wondering if I should include more cocoa to try and drown out the cayenne flavor...?

Karl_Hungus
07-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I came down with a wicked cold over the weekend and found a really interested way to get my Cayenne.

In a nasal spray. :eek:

Personally, I prefer suppositories. But then again, I am much harder core than most of you.

valveforce
07-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Personally, I prefer suppositories. But then again, I am much harder core than most of you.

I've been smothering my food with Habanero powder(much hotter than cayenne) for years and I can't praise it enough. I like all my food hot so it's no a chore for me at all. This idea of adding it to protein shakes never crossed my mind, gonna start that ASAP!

*Some warn of stomach ulcers from a lot of hot food but personally I never came across any issues and have been a heat addict since the mid 90's when my grandpa got me into it.

schmack
07-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I have to pass on this because I tend to walk around like a cowboy the next day because my ass is on fire. LOL!

Interesting info though.

valveforce
07-08-2010, 04:22 PM
I have to pass on this because I tend to walk around like a cowboy the next day because my ass is on fire. LOL!

Interesting info though.

LOL, same happens to me if I over indulge. I cover my beef jerky with habanero powder and even though I know damn well I'm going to pay for it, I devour it only to curse myself out when on the toilet for afterwards.

Fifty+
07-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Interesting info though.

Maybe you and Karl should talk.....:D

yakabebe
07-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Chronic prostatitis is a little different than just enlarged prostate: it is ALL THE TIME, but, normally, sub clinical, however, it never really goes away, and , at times, flares up a bit more, or, at times, there is enlargement also.....

Was wondering...re the chronic prostatitis...what are the symptoms you had for the diagnosis and is this a sefl-diagnosis or thru md?

Thanx in advance

G500
07-08-2010, 08:40 PM
You may want to try simply adding cayenne to your food. If you eat it, it tends not to upset the stomach so much, and after a while your body will begin to tolerate it more. This is because peppers high in capsaicin start the digestive process powerfully when they are sensed in the mouth; your mouth makes more saliva, which causes your stomach to coat itself and secrete acids and enzymes, etc.

I suffer from heartburn due to a hiatus hernia, and if I eat my cayenne along with ginger, I do not have any problems.

Ray

Ray, thank you for the advice! I will try it.

JUSA
07-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Reps to the OP.

I tried this this morning, once w/ my wakeup water & protein shake and again with my PWO shake. Put 1/4 teaspoon in each. Was really hot. Glad I didn't do anymore than that, tbh.

Does anyone have any suggestions on something which might curb the hotness to mix w/ it? It wasn't so bad in the PWO shake, which contains 2 cups of either skim or chocolate milk... but w/ the h20/protein shake it was pretty hot.

No stomach issues, just burned on the way down and in my mouth as I drank it.

JC480
07-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on something which might curb the hotness to mix w/ it?
Well...honestly you get used to it.

The first day is always the worst. Second day won't be quite as bad cause you know what to expect....after that it gets easier.

I started out at 1/4 tsp and now I use 1 full tsp...then I put basically a shotglass of water in with the C.P. and shoot it down fast (you gotta work up to this). I chase it with black coffee and that works for me.

Another way to mitigate the burning is chewing gum.

My problem was putting the C.P. in a bigass shake prolonged the pain chugging it down. Making it a shooter let me get it over with. I kinda of breathe in, breathe out and hold my breath half way and gulp away. Works for me anyway...

nhughessr
04-20-2015, 09:06 AM
I eat alot of natural metabolism boosters and do alot of research as well, on myself too. Adding cayenne pepper in powder form to the protein shakes is awesome too pre, post, or on a regularday to boost the metabolism 100 fold. I had tried some grilled buffalo chickenby itself and my nose was running, no bs. I even went bqck for more toha e for my pre-workout meal the next day. But the pepper and shake does give you the runs, but in a good way cause you leaving more of that fat in the bathroom too lol.