PDA

View Full Version : can you train your body to burn fat?

jmborr
04-11-2010, 10:44 AM
If you want muscles, you have to do physical activity. If you want good memory, you must work your brain. It seems that if you want your body to excel in some area, you just have to train it again and again. I wonder if this is true when it comes to burning fat. I mean, if you regularly train your body with a method that burns fat, will you prime your body and next time make it easier for it to do just that?

I usually do cardio in the morning with an empty stomach, I read is the best way to resort to your fat storage. Now I was wondering if doing this regularly will have the extra benefit of teaching your body to rapidly tap into fat for fuel, as opposed to degrade muscle.

Does anybody know of some evidence backing up or refuting this theory?

ironwill2008
04-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Here's some current research on the subject:

http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html

Marius_Ursus
04-11-2010, 11:08 AM
If you want muscles, you have to do physical activity. If you want good memory, you must work your brain. It seems that if you want your body to excel in some area, you just have to train it again and again. I wonder if this is true when it comes to burning fat. I mean, if you regularly train your body with a method that burns fat, will you prime your body and next time make it easier for it to do just that?

I usually do cardio in the morning with an empty stomach, I read is the best way to resort to your fat storage. Now I was wondering if doing this regularly will have the extra benefit of teaching your body to rapidly tap into fat for fuel, as opposed to degrade muscle.

I can only give you an anecdotal reference. Last year I met two life-long goals of a) traveling to Israel and b) training in Krav Maga. To prepare for the two weeks of intense five-hours-per-day training, I lifted lighter for low volume and did at least an hour of some type of combative training every day. By the time I arrived in Israel, I don't know how much fat I'd lost, but my clothes were significantly looser. Over the two weeks in Israel I ate like a horse and still continued to lose significant amounts of bodyfat.

I've been back from Israel for three months, and I'm doing a lot less cardio, but my fat loss is still on track while my diet is somewhere between "pretty good" and "good". I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, red meat, pork, chicken, fish, bacon, tree nuts, maple syrup, chocolate, whole eggs, pizza...

For what it's worth, my body seems to have adapted to using fat for fuel because of the six months I spent eating light and intense cardio training. Bro science or not, it worked.

jmborr
04-11-2010, 11:46 AM
For what it's worth, my body seems to have adapted to using fat for fuel because of the six months I spent eating light and intense cardio training. Bro science or not, it worked.

It seems you revved up your metabolism a lot!

jmborr
04-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Here's some current research on the subject:

http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html

This link is a great resource. The 20 weeks of HIIT study shows proof of body adaptation to burning fat that I was looking for.

Most Muscular
04-11-2010, 02:16 PM
I've found that during a very low carb diet the body will tend to utilize fat for energy since it does not have adequate carbs to do the job. I also ADD fat to my diet during this phase and let my body learn to use fat for energy. Along with the added fat in my diet it also uses some of my body's fat.