PDA

View Full Version : Maximum speed sprint training?

MikeDS
04-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I normally do flying (starts) 30m sprints to develop maximum sprint speed but I recently found out that it works more endurance than speed. So, what workouts can I do to increase my maximum sprint speed?

Note: I don't have any special equipment, just myself and a track. I lift 3x a week and do pylos once a week as well

Jhawk Fitness
04-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Any specific phase in mind? Maximum speed is a culmination of several different phases.

athletix
04-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Jhawk is absolutely right, it really depends on what you are looking to improve upon. First things first, you need to have a good start. I have trained beside olympic sprinters before they had made it to the olympics and although they had top speeds that are insane, their starts were terrible, I would beat them out of the blocks. Although Jhawk probably has a very regimented way of doing things given his experience and could probably give you more ideas, one thing that helped me for football was to work on explosion out of the blocks. I would just do little 5 yard springs out of the blocks and really work on driving the leg forward and bringing your hands to the proper positioning.

Another thing that people do incorrectly is tense up as they are hitting their top speed. I have trained next to Deion Sanders before as well and he will tell you that you need to stay relaxed at top speed, allows things to go more fluid and focus more energy on your legs. Don't clench your fists when you run, keep them open.

Uphill an downhill sprints can help you as well just make sure the incline or decline is not too great, very very slight incline or decline, if it is too much it will throw off your natural running motion but the downhills can really help you increase your top speed.

Good luck!

MikeDS
04-10-2010, 02:32 PM
The problem is when I hit top speed. I get out of the blocks alright and accelerate to my top speed by about 30m- once there I try to stay relaxed and keep a fluid motion but everyone just blows by me. I don't seem to have a very good "top speed"

Jhawk Fitness
04-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Is it a lack of speed-endurance or a lack of stride length?

MikeDS
04-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Is it a lack of speed-endurance or a lack of stride length?

stride length

Jhawk Fitness
04-11-2010, 02:49 PM
stride length

Is the culprit strength, technique or flexibility?