PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad idea

CaptChip40
04-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I have a steady workout routine its four days a week and sometime a fifth day that I just throw in some extra stuff to hit the same body part twice in the same week. It's a pretty standard:
Mon Chest Tris
Tues Back bis
Wed Legs
thur Shoulder, Traps
Sat Extra day occasionally

Question: I'm Lucky enough to have a full gym at work and couple of times a day I can take a walk and maybe throw in a few sets of curls (not in the squat rack) or maybe a couple sets of tricep push downs. Any benifit to doing this?

IronCharles
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I have a steady workout routine its four days a week and sometime a fifth day that I just throw in some extra stuff to hit the same body part twice in the same week. It's a pretty standard:
Mon Chest Tris
Tues Back bis
Wed Legs
thur Shoulder, Traps

That's pretty much my routine, minus the shoulder day. (push/pull/legs/rest/repeat) I feel my shoulders get enough work with back and chest compounds. I may do one or two delt isolations per back / chest day, but that's about it.

The funny thing is, the parts I do the least amount of sets for (arms and shoulders) are turning out to be the fastest growers. Maybe there really is something to the "More isn't always better, better is better" mantra!. ;)

Fifty+
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Mon Chest Tris
Tues Back bis
Wed Legs
thur Shoulder, Traps

Question: I'm Lucky enough to have a full gym at work and couple of times a day I can take a walk and maybe throw in a few sets of curls (not in the squat rack) or maybe a couple sets of tricep push downs. Any benifit to doing this?

I have a home gym and I use to think it was nice to hit up a few sets (of anything) in the evening. As my workouts became more intense and I applied myself to meet my goals, my evenings were better suited for resting. I wasn't going to accomplish anything.

dmger14
04-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Mon Chest Tris
Tues Back bis
Wed Legs
thur Shoulder, Traps

I had the exact same routine, even the days you do them, but no lifting occasional on Saturdays. I find that a full week is needed to let the muscles recover. Recently, I was hearing so much on here about the benefits of doing deadlifts, and therefore moved back and bis to Monday when I will do deadlifts every other week, and legs to Thursdays to allow them to recover from deads. I can't complain about that setup you have, or the one I'm doing now. Going on my fifth month back to lifting, and with every sixth week as a deload, am keeping that desire to lift strong.

Bando
04-09-2010, 07:49 PM
I can take a walk and maybe throw in a few sets of curls (not in the squat rack) or maybe a couple sets of tricep push downs. Any benifit to doing this?

I wouldn't, for me it would be counterproductive to growth and I'm speaking from experience (tried it). If you were doing some sort of full body exercise that gets the blood flowing without directly hitting a sore muscle group I would be all for that.

CaptChip40
04-10-2010, 04:43 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I guess sometime more is not always better.

Wintersole
04-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Everyone is different in what works for them. I tend to focus less on my arms although I do have a day set aside for them as kind of a top off day from the rest of the week. I'd give them the time to rest. But like I said, everyone is different and that is what works for me.

Dawginit
04-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I have always had success with it. I mix up the exercises and rep ranges on occassion to keep it fresh. I like it. The only thing that I do differently is that I will do shoulders with legs (just 2 sets) and I will skip Thursday. Sometimes on Fridays I just do an arm day to hit the smaller muscles one more time while the larger muscles have more time to recover.

I used to try to hit every body part twice a week and that worked good for me when I was younger, but now I feel that I just need more recovery time. I don't like it, but that is just the way it is now.

I think that is a very good routine.

Mon Chest Tris
Tues Back bis
Wed Legs
thur Shoulder, Traps

david_0729
04-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Mon Chest Tris
Tues Back bis
Wed Legs
thur Shoulder, Traps

I like doing splits....chest in the morning...bi's and tri's in the evening. The splits allow me to really focus in on one muscle group. I like to split up my legs. I prefer to work out my hams and quads on separate days. I wish my schedule allowed me to do splits all the time.