PDA

View Full Version : cutting without losing muscle-possible?

adjd
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
i am new to body building but have been working out 3 times a week for a while now and am seeing some good results......BUT....
I have NEVER been able to put on weight until i started eating 6 times a day and now i have put on about 20 kilos and feel a bit fat. I am generally bigger all round( shoulders,chest, thighs etc) but i dont know how to get some of the flubber off my waist.....
I dont do any cardio work coz i wanted to bulk up but maybe i should.
Basically i wanna lose some of the flab without undoing the hard work i have put in
Please advise me the best way to do this!!!!!!!

hookrunner
04-08-2010, 02:56 PM
i have put on about 20 kilos

Post a couple days of your diet. I think you've got it all screwed up...

hope2bme
04-08-2010, 03:02 PM
i am new to body building but have been working out 3 times a week for a while now and am seeing some good results......BUT....
I have NEVER been able to put on weight until i started eating 6 times a day and now i have put on about 20 kilos and feel a bit fat. I am generally bigger all round( shoulders,chest, thighs etc) but i dont know how to get some of the flubber off my waist.....
Basically i wanna lose some of the flab without undoing the hard work i have put in

Are you typically very thin? You may just need more time to get adjusted to your new weight as I just don't see how someone 6'4" could be fat at your weight. Was the gain very rapid?

adjd
04-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Cheers!
I start the day with a shake-whey,banana,weight gain,oats and semi skimmed milk
i snack through the day, i dont have set meal times due to work but i basically have a couple of cheese sandwichs(wholemeal bread only),peanuts,an apple or two, pasta salad with fish.
After work-chicken with veg and potatoes-lots of carbs
Before bed-weight gaiin with whey and milk.
I confess that i dont always eat the healthiest food but then who does????lol

adjd
04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Are you typically very thin? You may just need more time to get adjusted to your new weight as I just don't see how someone 6'4" could be fat at your weight. Was the gain very rapid?

I have always been thin. i have gained really fast, i have not been able to do that before so i really went for it. All the weight seems to be round my waist- my misses says i am starting to look like Roger the alien off American dad lol. All i want to do is to get some muscle onto what has always been a skinny body.i think the muscle is coming along slowly and the fat is coming
along quickly.

kimsquit
04-08-2010, 03:23 PM

i snack through the day, i dont have set meal times due to work but i basically have a couple of cheese sandwichs(wholemeal bread only),peanuts,an apple or two, pasta salad with fish.

.i think the muscle is coming along slowly and the fat is coming along quickly.what did you think would happen on a diet of cheese sandwiches and weight gainer :confused:

I confess that i dont always eat the healthiest food but then who does????lolpeople who take their nutrition seriously, that's who :) making excuses for yourself by claiming that "everyone else does it" isn't going to shed fat off your middle

ironwill2008
04-08-2010, 03:29 PM
You need to get a grasp of the basics, OP. Here's a start:

*Nutrition: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=BasicsofNutrition

*Basics http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=BeginningBodybuildingBasics

adjd
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
what did you think would happen on a diet of cheese sandwiches and weight gainer :confused:

people who take their nutrition seriously, that's who :) making excuses for yourself by claiming that "everyone else does it" isn't going to shed fat off your middle

I cant find any advice in your reply....... i wanted to know whether/how to get rid of the excess weight i have gained without losing muscle,seeing as alot of people go on a bulk/cutting diet.You only gain muscle if you have a surplus of calories or am i wrong there?

adjd
04-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Cheers IRONWILL

Fifty+
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
I cant find any advice in your reply....... i wanted to know whether/how to get rid of the excess weight i have gained without losing muscle,seeing as alot of people go on a bulk/cutting diet.You only gain muscle if you have a surplus of calories or am i wrong there?

What do you see in the mirror? If you don't use it, you wear it. It's best to plan what you are going to attempt on paper. The plan is a road map to follow. You can always change direction, but if you don't have the map, you can get lost....

hope2bme
04-08-2010, 03:49 PM
i am starting to look like Roger the alien off American dad.

LOL! :D It definately sounds like you are gaining fat/weight too quickly. Many people do go for a "dirty bulk" however, you still need to gain at a slow enough pace to feed your muscle growth ...not just the tire around the middle. ;)

Take some time to really do your research and get a handle on your diet. Seems like you have found the key to finally being able to add weight...now you just need to tweak that a bit and slow it down. Follow the links that have been provided and best of luck! :)

adjd
04-08-2010, 03:51 PM
What do you see in the mirror? If you don't use it, you wear it. It's best to plan what you are going to attempt on paper. The plan is a road map to follow. You can always change direction, but if you don't have the map, you can get lost....

In the mirror i see a skinny fella thats desperate to put on some muscle mass.I dont wanna compete or anything but i do want to be proud to get my t shirt off IF we get a summer here.I have noticed bigger shoulders, pecs and arms. Shall i do some cardio aswell as my usual routine to use the calories?

adjd
04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
LOL! :D It definately sounds like you are gaining fat/weight too quickly. Many people do go for a "dirty bulk" however, you still need to gain at a slow enough pace to feed your muscle growth ...not just the tire around the middle. ;)

Take some time to really do your research and get a handle on your diet. Seems like you have found the key to finally being able to add weight...now you just need to tweak that a bit and slow it down. Follow the links that have been provided and best of luck! :)

Thanks Hope....... Will do. Sounds like good advice........

Fifty+
04-08-2010, 04:13 PM
In the mirror i see a skinny fella thats desperate to put on some muscle mass.I dont wanna compete or anything but i do want to be proud to get my t shirt off IF we get a summer here.I have noticed bigger shoulders, pecs and arms. Shall i do some cardio aswell as my usual routine to use the calories?

Cardio is healthy and should be used for health benefits. As mentioned, tweek your diet and attack the calorie problem there. It'll happen just keep at it.

bobbyt321
04-08-2010, 07:16 PM
This million dollar question has a ten cent answer - the answer is a question actually.Can you figure out how to keep the muscle on while you shed the fat? You didn't do the opposite very well as you admitted......

It takes education, patience and commitment. Learn how to do it everyday and understand it will be a slow process. Most people start losing patience and drastically cut calories or add too much cardio - or worse - both.

Good luck!

EggSuckingLeech
04-08-2010, 07:29 PM
It takes education, patience and commitment. Learn how to do it everyday and understand it will be a slow process. Most people start losing patience and drastically cut calories or add too much cardio - or worse - both.

This. Set goals on like a 3 or 6 mo period but track weekly. In other words, understand that weekly you will see baby steps but you really won't achieve anything noteworthy (or noticeable to others) until you have been doing the grind for months. For me, I set a goal like losing 1-2 lbs a week but the big goal was 10 lbs in a month and a half.

The biggest thing I learned is that there are no magic pills and this stuff simply takes a long time so you have to have perseverance! Good luck! It's not complicated. It can be hard, but it's not complicated at all.

My two cents.

BrotherWolf
04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
what did you think would happen on a diet of cheese sandwiches and weight gainer :confused:

^ This LOL

BrotherWolf
04-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I cant find any advice in your reply.......

There is advice buried within the lines :)

cut those cheese sandwiches, weight gainers and tighten up your diet
lifting weight is the easy part , the hard part is to be dedicated & consistent on what you eat

acwild
04-08-2010, 08:02 PM
If you want to maintain your gains and loose fat I would suggest firstly… change your workout, your muscles have most likely gotten used to the stress you've been putting them under, and secondly lower your caloric intake and overall intake of lean red meat... and cheese sandwiches :) Replace it with turkey slices, turkey burgers, turkey bacon and turkey sausage.

Concerning your target weight, if you want to maintain 170 on the scale and loose fat, first, break your meals into 6 smaller meals per day and consume 28 grams of protein in each meal. Secondly, lower your overall caloric intake by cutting out at least one sandwich a day (380 calories in 2 slices of whole wheat bread) loose any mayo and instead spread on some guacamole or add some olive oil to your meals (good fats HDLs) and cut out whole grain rice and potatoes. Drop any intake of alcohol while you're cutting as well, that of course includes beer. Don't drink your fruits... eat fruits, do not drink fruit juice. Switch over to skim milk, even 2% gets 35% of it's calories from fat. Those small changes alone will knock out more than 500 calories per day, cutting out 3500 calories a week.

Concerning your weight lifting... The very best thing you can do, if you feel you've plateaued at bit and or want to maintain your gains while cutting, is to change up your workout itself. 60 to 90 days is about the max for doing the exact same routine, change it up every 2 to 3 months or so. You're body will always get used to the stress you're putting it under, you can keep them stressed (and wanting to grow) if you change up your workout.

I've made the suggestions below before but I've only received good rep for them so I'll hope they help you as well...

If you always do 8 to 10 reps at 3 sets, try increasing the weight so you can only do 3 to 5 reps. If you've never done light weights, lighten it up so you can do 20 to 30 reps and you'll really feel the acid burn by the 3rd set.

If you always do leg extensions, followed by leg curls, then squats last.. change it around, do the squats first, toss in some leg presses, then the extensions, and lastly curls.

If you always start at a high weight and then lower it for each progressive set set, try starting at a lower weight and increasing it for each of you're flowing sets. You'll obviously be doing less reps by the 3rd or 4th set.

If you do a lot of machine work, switch over the free weights… never touch a machine, work a few into your routine.

If you only do standing two arm curls, switch over to seated or incline dumbbell curls.

If you're schedule allows it, change up your workout days. If you're always 'one day on and one day off' with rest on the weekends... change it to '2 days one and one day off'.

I could go on but I think you've got the idea

BrotherWolf
04-08-2010, 08:21 PM
lower your caloric intake and overall intake of lean red meat... and cheese sandwiches :) Replace it with turkey slices, turkey burgers, turkey bacon and turkey sausage.

Dude you're a nice guy but what kind of advice is that? I don't like you anymore :)

acwild
04-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Dude you're a nice guy but what kind of advice is that? I don't like you anymore :)

Well, if he's looking to cut... I figured that's the best way to drop out extra saturated fat and the calories there in... he can always go back to steaks when recomp/buking time comes! :)

I probably should have said cut out the red meat... 90% lean should still be cool on a cut, recomp for sure.

BrotherWolf
04-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Well, if he's looking to cut... I figured that's the best way to drop out extra saturated fat and the calories there in... he can always go back to steaks when recomp/buking time comes! :)

I probably should have said cut out the red meat... 90% lean should still be cool on a cut, recomp for sure.

Turkey is for girls.... real man eat red meat and drink beer
and the only cutting they do is "cheese cutting"

As Pavel Tsatsouline would say " TURKEY IS FOR SISSIES" also chicken and lounges

acwild
04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Turkey is for girls.... real man eat red meat and drink beer
and the only cutting they do is "cheese cutting"

As Pavel Tsatsouline would say " TURKEY IS FOR SISSIES" also chicken and lounges

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... so where do you stand on quiche? :)

eomrat
04-08-2010, 09:50 PM

Classic. Just when I needed a good chuckle.

BazzaW
04-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Cheers!
I confess that i dont always eat the healthiest food but then who does????lol

Bora Da from NZ. My suggestion is to use a site like www.fitday.com and use the food calculator to see the macros of the foods you are eating. Something like this will give you great transparency on the food macros you are consuming. My guess is that the diet which you thought was helping you add protein and size has been overly generous in the number and type of calories you are eating. Rather than a 40/40/20 (proteins/Carbs/fats) you may find that you are eating more like 25/30/50 or similar. Whilst you have added size, you have also added extra 'storage' because of the macros. My 5p, adjust your macros, increase your aerobics and keep up the protein level in favour of reducing the carbs and fats, and you will keep your size...good luck

BrotherWolf
04-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... so where do you stand on quiche? :)

Oh quiche is great.... eggs, bacon and cheese can't go wrong with that

ectoBgone
04-09-2010, 06:46 AM
OP, if you want to lean out while holding on to as much muscle as possible keep it simple for now:

1. Lift the same way you would as if you were trying to gain muscle.

2. Shoot for losing 1-2lbs per week. This should be done primarily with diet, somewhere around a 300-500 calorie per day deficit.

3. Make sure you consume 1.0-1.5g of protein per pound of LBM per day.

You can mess around with macros and cardio to fine tune it according to what works best for you, but those three principles consistently followed will get you pretty far.

Good luck.

Tifflex
04-09-2010, 06:55 AM

x2!

Are you still at 176 after gaining 20 kilos:confused:?

Either way take the advice offered and get your diet in order.

JTraining
04-09-2010, 07:38 AM

I have never been able to add muscle mass during a cut but I have been able to minimize it's loss through diet (high protein, eating 7x per day, carb cycling) and excercise (your regular program with high intensity). I think some added cardio is an important element as well but diet of course is primary. Good luck getting lean and staying mean!

Dawginit
04-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Carbs have their place, but you need to eat the carbs in the morning, prior to working out and perhaps some just after you workout. You don't need that many. The oatmeal is good in the morning. You need to taper towards evening. You need more protien and less carbs in your diet. Cardio will help thin you out as well.

The main thing is to stick with it. It is a journey not a destination. It takes time. Get your workout right and get yoour diet right and it will come. It will happen.

BrotherWolf
04-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Carbs have their place

Yup.... right on my plate next to the steak.....