PDA

View Full Version : Shallow and Immature, but made me feel good... :D

ScubaDave
04-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Okay, this is a self-involved post, so forgive me, but after an injury-filled 2009, I'm starting to get back in the groove. Yesterday was shoulders and biceps day. Had a great shoulder workout, and started in on biceps. Got warmed up, then did some preacher curls, and then started in on olympic bar curls. Started with 25 lbs a side, 2 sets of 10, then added another 10 to each side, and put in 2 more sets, one of 8 and one of 6. I cleared the bar and moved on. About 10 minutes later, I look over and see two other guys with the same bar, and the same weight on the bar that I had for my last set...so I get curious...I don't believe these guys are doing curls. I certainly wasn't doing a lot of weight, but just by looks alone, I don't think they're going to do curls. So...I wait and watch, and lo and behold the first guy picks up the bar and starts doing deadlifts!!! Immediately brought a smile to my face, and then I thought, hey - we all started there, but it still made me smile.

Staynlean
04-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Okay, this is a self-involved post, so forgive me, but after an injury-filled 2009, I'm starting to get back in the groove. Yesterday was shoulders and biceps day. Had a great shoulder workout, and started in on biceps. Got warmed up, then did some preacher curls, and then started in on olympic bar curls. Started with 25 lbs a side, 2 sets of 10, then added another 10 to each side, and put in 2 more sets, one of 8 and one of 6. I cleared the bar and moved on. About 10 minutes later, I look over and see two other guys with the same bar, and the same weight on the bar that I had for my last set...so I get curious...I don't believe these guys are doing curls. I certainly wasn't doing a lot of weight, but just by looks alone, I don't think they're going to do curls. So...I wait and watch, and lo and behold the first guy picks up the bar and starts doing deadlifts!!! Immediately brought a smile to my face, and then I thought, hey - we all started there, but it still made me smile.

That's awesome!

SP1966
04-06-2010, 10:07 PM
They were deadlifting in the squat rack? :mad: How dare they!!

;)

Awesome!

yakabebe
04-06-2010, 10:09 PM
After the year that was and getting back in the groove - it must make ya feel like a million bucks - just that

But then what you described...well, man - thats just the icing on the cake.

Hope this year is YOUR year!

thebigguy1
04-06-2010, 10:18 PM

Way to go! That must've been awesome, and yes, feel good about it! It is those things that just add to the motivation to PUMP UP! :)

Keep pumping and growing!

III---III

DebDoesData2
04-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Hey, it would only be considered shallow and immature if you SAID something to those guys to make them feel inadequate. Nothing wrong with feeling some positive feedback on your progress. Nothing shallow and immature about it.

HeismanWatch
04-07-2010, 05:48 AM

Yeah, I get bored in the gym sometimes as well.

msuwo
04-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Hey, it would only be considered shallow and immature if you SAID something to those guys to make them feel inadequate. Nothing wrong with feeling some positive feedback on your progress. Nothing shallow and immature about it.

^This.

Small personal victories like your story OP are the stuff that makes the day worth living. I love it when little stuff like that happens, just makes you feel good about life.

bodyhard
04-07-2010, 07:00 AM

The real question is, if those guys were saying "Fck man here we are doing deadlifts with this weight and the guy that just left was doing curls with it"

DNG
04-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm also quick to criticize beginners (in my mind, anyway - I don't say anything).

But always correct myself by remembering that (1) as you said, we were all beginners once, and (2) hey - they are at the gym, rather than goofing off on Mom's couch playing video games.

GreenWave1
04-08-2010, 05:33 AM
We spend a lot of time looking up at our goals, which is constructive. Sometimes though, it is good to look back to where we were and see the progress that has been made. It gives you confidence and a feeling of accomplishment that can help propel us toward our goal.