PDA

View Full Version : Good ways to pack on calories for bulk?

Negativ
04-05-2010, 05:48 PM
According to livestrong, I'm supposed to be intaking ~3450 calories to reach my weight goals (+.5lb per week).

My diet today was:

Meal 1
4 egg whites 1 whole egg (yolk fell in)
banana

Pre-WO
NO Xplode

Post-WO
Isopure

Meal 2
~8 oz chicken breast, skinless
White corn
2 cups skim milk

Meal 3
2 cups "Great Grains"
1 cup skim milk
Apple

Snack at work
4 tbs peanut butter

Meal 4/before bed
1 cup cottage cheese with 1 scoop isopure
2 cups apple juice

Which brings me to 2667 cals with 226g protein and 33/47/20 p/c/f as my ratios.

What would be easy to add in for the extra calories? Also, is there anything easy I can throw in to reduce powder intake (as it's expensive)?

Rescueme23
04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Take a few shots of Olive Oil, and mix it with Orange Juice

FunkymonkAW
04-05-2010, 05:50 PM
You should definitely be eating protein and carbs before and after your workout.

Negativ
04-05-2010, 05:54 PM
You should definitely be eating protein and carbs before and after your workout.

I got a free tub of isopure from a buddy and it says to take on an empty stomach for optimum performance, hence me not eating anything other than the no xplode shake (25cals of just carbs, so basically nothing) for the ~2-3 hour gap between meal 1 and my workout. What would you suggest in it's place?

Edit: note my workouts take like 45 mins, not marathon sessions, if that makes a difference

Negativ
04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Bump.

Still getting all my fat from peanut butter. Anyone have a better alternative?

Sick96stang
04-07-2010, 12:12 PM
I got a free tub of isopure from a buddy and it says to take on an empty stomach for optimum performance, hence me not eating anything other than the no xplode shake (25cals of just carbs, so basically nothing) for the ~2-3 hour gap between meal 1 and my workout. What would you suggest in it's place?

Edit: note my workouts take like 45 mins, not marathon sessions, if that makes a difference

I suggest you get rid of isopure then and establish a solid nutrition for pre and post workout.

Sick96stang
04-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Bump.

Protein:

Tuna or most any fish.
Cottage cheese.
Eggs (especially the whites).
Chicken breast (boneless skinless).
Turkey breast (boneless skinless).
Lean beef.
Low fat or no fat cheese.
Low fat pork.
Milk protein isolate.
Whey protein.
Soy protein.

Carbohydrates:

Sweet potatoes.
Oat meal, oat bran, oat bran cereal (i.e. cheerios).
Bran cereal.
Brown rice.
Wheat bread
Beans.
Low fat popcorn (low fat butter spray makes this a delicacy).
Fruits
Vegetables.

Fat:

Omega 3 capsules (i.e. fish oil capsules).
Flax seed oil.
Primrose oil.
Borage oil.
Olive oil.
Nuts
Egg yolks.
Fish (salmon especially).

jcosley
04-07-2010, 12:28 PM
According to livestrong, I'm supposed to be intaking ~3450 calories to reach my weight goals (+.5lb per week).

My diet today was:

Meal 1
4 egg whites 1 whole egg (yolk fell in)
banana
2 slices toast or 1 cup oats

Pre-WO
NO Xplode

Post-WO
Isopure
2 scoops dextrose or 1 banana

Meal 2
~8 oz chicken breast, skinless
White corn
1 cup rice
2 cups skim milk

Meal 3
2 cups "Great Grains"
2 cups skim milk
Apple

Snack at work
4 tbs peanut butter
1 scoop whey

Meal 4/before bed
1 cup cottage cheese with 1 scoop isopure
2 Tsp Peanut butter

Which brings me to 2667 cals with 226g protein and 33/47/20 p/c/f as my ratios.

What would be easy to add in for the extra calories? Also, is there anything easy I can throw in to reduce powder intake (as it's expensive)?

I bolded everything I added to your diet ABOVE ^^^

jcosley
04-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Bump.

Invest in a jug of fish oil caps....pretty cheap.

SkinnyMof0
04-07-2010, 12:38 PM
eat cashews! (can eat them like nothing in a sit... full of calories)
almonds, walnuts and peanuts

mix some avocado with your salad/sandwiches, it is a great fat source and it improves the taste alot

darkshines
04-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned how inaccurate livestrong is.

Plug your stats into the Katch-McArdle formula, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity multiplier, and then add 2-500 calories to that. After two weeks, reassess. Not gaining fast enough? Eat more. Gaining too much fat? Eat less.

jcosley
04-07-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned how inaccurate livestrong is.

Plug your stats into the Katch-McArdle formula, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity multiplier, and then add 2-500 calories to that. After two weeks, reassess. Not gaining fast enough? Eat more. Gaining too much fat? Eat less.

Why do you say that??? It's actualy pretty accurate if you check your food labels and compare them to what you search for. I've used it this entire year to track everything....i'mmmmm pretty sure by my progress pics that it works. Just saying...

ThickAsABrick
04-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Bump.

stop throwing away your egg yolks

Sick96stang
04-07-2010, 01:12 PM
stop throwing away your egg yolks

But it's got ubar amounts of teh cloresterolz in it :p

jcosley
04-07-2010, 01:19 PM
But it's got ubar amounts of teh cloresterolz in it :p

Lol....that drives me nutz when people say that. ;)

darkshines
04-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Why do you say that??? It's actualy pretty accurate if you check your food labels and compare them to what you search for. I've used it this entire year to track everything....i'mmmmm pretty sure by my progress pics that it works. Just saying...

...considering the rest of my post, I assumed it was clear I was talking about the caloric needs calculator OP used to get his 3450 figure.

Negativ
04-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Really appreciate all the feedback. I'd rep everyone in here if I could. (Not that it would matter, haha)

Up to about 3k now with much more balanced diet. PWO is now a customer blend with strawberries, banana, yogurt, pb, and whey. Taking 2 tbs of olive oil now to increase my fats. According to the calc's (not livestrong) I'm supposed to be taking in ~2800-2900 so I'm going to stick with this for two weeks then reassess based on weight.

Thanks again.

darkshines
04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Really appreciate all the feedback. I'd rep everyone in here if I could. (Not that it would matter, haha)

Up to about 3k now with much more balanced diet. PWO is now a customer blend with strawberries, banana, yogurt, pb, and whey. Taking 2 tbs of olive oil now to increase my fats. According to the calc's (not livestrong) I'm supposed to be taking in ~2800-2900 so I'm going to stick with this for two weeks then reassess based on weight.

Thanks again.

Good idea, give 3k a shot, then readjust as needed.

mikeyparkster
04-07-2010, 02:46 PM
don't be afraid of throwing in some more wholegrains in there.... / rice / bread

also..... fattier meat .. like bacon...