PDA

View Full Version : Quick MMA question.

Eileen
04-04-2010, 12:49 PM
If you had been injured, and had a bruised and painful right leg, but still had to fight, would you be inclined to keep your weight on your left leg and kick with your right, or vise versa?

Similarly, if bruised etc on right, would you punch with right hand and block with left (uninjured), or the other way around?

jdelarod
04-04-2010, 01:32 PM
I'd pull out of the fight. Not worth messing your leg up even more.

Eileen
04-04-2010, 01:37 PM
It's for a book. One of my characters has been in a bike crash. No major injuries, but lots of bruising on the right side. And he can't pull out of this fight, it's too important to him.

jdelarod
04-04-2010, 05:03 PM
you were coming off impressive as hell being 49 years old and still wanting to enter the cage with a bad leg ;)

Eileen
04-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Not me personally. I'm writing a book and one of my characters has to do this. My martial arts career ended when I dislocated a bunch of bones in my foot, and my doctor banned all barefoot sports.

wardpm
04-04-2010, 05:24 PM
i say if the brusing is on the shin, which shouldnt matter if your character has a muay thai
background then avoid that leg, maybe switch stances etc..

if its all around battered just dont throw kick and hope you dont end up with the opposition going for a single leg on the healthy leg

Eileen
04-04-2010, 05:27 PM
He's got major bruising on right thigh and right shoulder. How would that affect his fighting style? He's fighting someone who is stronger but less skilled.

wardpm
04-04-2010, 05:50 PM
if hes orthodox it will limit his crosses and power kicks, maybe since he is so expeirenced he can fight southpaw and outclass his openent via decision

Eileen
04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Well, he's more kind of hoping to beat the ****e out of his opponent. Apart from anything else, he blames him for the bike crash!

wardpm
04-05-2010, 12:00 AM
i see well a bruised shoulder and leg wont take away from a solid ground n pound from his opponents guard he would have a hard time passing and achieving a more dominant position, but elbows and hammers from guard can do a lot of damage

Eileen
04-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Hadn't though of elbows! Thanks.

Ripht
04-05-2010, 09:34 AM
he'd put his weight onto his other leg yea, as far as punching goes with sore arms switching up stance would be a bad idea cos of technique etc, so even if it hurt he'd still punch with it but would rarly sure it unless he was finishing or saw an opening.

If hes injuryed too much he wouldn't stand up and trade blow, take them to the ground break an arm or a leg of land an elbow to the guys face.

Eileen
04-05-2010, 10:38 AM
So weight on his strong leg? I'd have thought that putting his weight on the bruised leg and kicking with the strong leg would hurt less.

Deep_Squat
04-06-2010, 06:40 AM
I've hurt myself in a fight before... I threw a roundkick to the body, the shin landed good but the ball of my foot landed on his elbow. I just continued fighting it didn't really hurt until the adrenaline wore off, Similary I've hurt my thumb throwing a left hook and it just hurt like hell straight away, like a shooting pain from my thumb everytime I landed.

Based on my experiences in Muay Thai I'd say if you had no option I'd throw punches with the un-injured hand, But its very important to switch stances (if needed), If you're going to throw with 1 hand it better be your nearest hand i.e. If orthadox and injure right hand switch to southpaw.

For kicks, Especially roundkicks the base leg is actually more important than the kicking leg, Its all about rotation on your standing foot bringing your hips through to generate power, So I'd say the opposite for kicks and I'd balance on the good leg and kick with the damaged leg.

The other option you could go with is adrenaline tacking over and him not feeling as hurt as he as, and therefore coming out on top and feeling the consiquences afterwards!

Deep_Squat
04-06-2010, 06:44 AM
So weight on his strong leg? I'd have thought that putting his weight on the bruised leg and kicking with the strong leg would hurt less.

Sorry I didn't read half of the posts and the progression of the thread......

Yes though the standing leg is more important so you'd want to kick with your injured leg and have all the weight on the strong leg, Although when deciding stances it's more about your hands than your legs really.

When fighting most people don't realise the lead side is more important, I.e. For orthadox fighters the Left side of their body is used a hell of a lot more than the right so it shouldn't effect your character as much!

Eileen
04-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Okay thanks. I'll have him mostly based on his strong leg, and fueled by adrenaline. He's a bit of an adrenaline junkie anyway.

Mr.Tts
04-06-2010, 08:12 AM
If I had a bad leg and had to fight MMA i would take it to the groound as fast as possible. Take him to the ground and chocke the **** out of him.

tsheckler
04-06-2010, 09:35 AM
I'd tape my left knee up so they'd think something was wrong with it, and that would pull attention away from my real injuries.

I'd stand southpaw, wait for a counterpunch, take him down and lay and pray.

Eileen
04-06-2010, 10:49 AM
If I had a bad leg and had to fight MMA i would take it to the groound as fast as possible. Take him to the ground and chocke the **** out of him.

That's not an option, his opponent is a lot stronger than he is, but slower and less trained. His priority is to use speed and technique. Mind you, he'd love to!

ElTioMoreno
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
That's not an option, his opponent is a lot stronger than he is, but slower and less trained. His priority is to use speed and technique. Mind you, he'd love to!

You never said if in this fight your protaginist is needed to win or not...I'd say make it close but have him lose and at the post fight meeting have the other fighter say something that includes biking or something and a wink at your protaginist haha

Eileen
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
It's a fight he needs to win. If he wins, he gets his reputation back after being a laughing stock for years, makes a ton of money, and gets to beat up the guy he blames for wrecking his Harley.

His opponent is too nice to do that (he's actually the hero) but my guy while technically the bad guy, has very very good reasons for everything, so you root for him anyway.

vb4080
04-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Well if its a MMA match Ring or cage? There is a big differance.

First Cage, if you have no ground game. I would clinch push him up against the cage. Get a left under hook with my weight on my left leg and dirty box and elbow with the right just using my right leg to block. If I had a ground game. I would push him against the cage Double under hooks, weight on left leg and sweep or leg triip. Once on the ground Tap or snap.

Ring, left jab circle right, stay tight dirty box and throw right elbows. No distance keep turning him to his right. Look for the take down. Pound out or submit. Even if you lay and pray you can eek out a decisian if your on top.

If you have a ground game thats the best answer if your get cant deal with the weight. Regardless no one ever fights at 100% there is always an issue and anyone that trains knows.

Choke him like he owes you money.

carl.c
04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
eileen: A good ground game has little to do with stregth. I would have your fighter use the cage like vd4080 said then tkae his apponent ot the ground once he's dazed him.
Remimber his apponent will no about the injuries and attack them so straight stand up will not work. I would be interesting to read the fight once your done with it.

Eileen
04-07-2010, 03:18 PM
It's not a competition fight at all. Sorry, I should have made that clear. He's in the desert in fairly open ground, in a situation where he has to fight. No ref, no rules. But he has to knock out or disable the other guy (who is defending his family) or watch his life go down the toilet.

vb4080
04-07-2010, 03:40 PM
He should stay home. I am more then sure there is a more effective way to solve the issue.

Eileen
04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Maybe in real life. In my novel, if he goes home, his life sucks forever. And his bike is still wrecked. He reckons it's worth fighting injured.

Classic rule of novel writing: put your character into a bad situation, then make it worse. Add a ticking clock, and make the consequences important.

Mikimbin
04-07-2010, 05:15 PM
It's hard to give advice on an injury I can't feel. It all depends on the severity and the person's threshold for pain.

Eileen
04-07-2010, 05:20 PM
I know. I was just wondering if there was a general pattern, would you protect the injured leg by standing on it or kicking with it?

vb4080
04-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Well to be specific thigh or shin?

Eileen
04-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Thigh. Bruising everywhere but thigh took the brunt. Knee was bruised but is still stable.

vb4080
04-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Well I would then go with a clinch, Leg trip put the opponent on his back. Soccer kick to the head. If you are looking for an additional statement he should drop on the ground in pain and throw a final right hand to the unconscious opponent. He is going to be circling to his right and checking kicks with his right shin to protect the thigh. Just my thoughts.

Eileen
04-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Well I would then go with a clinch, Leg trip put the opponent on his back. Soccer kick to the head. If you are looking for an additional statement he should drop on the ground in pain and throw a final right hand to the unconscious opponent. He is going to be circling to his right and checking kicks with his right shin to protect the thigh. Just my thoughts.

Ohh, sounds really good. I didn't think of that, I was fixated with him being faster, so standing off and kicking.

Eplexx
04-09-2010, 10:57 AM
You could just attempt a take down and submit the person. Thats the best bet...

carl.c
04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
you keep adding diffrent thing to the story line. First its just a fight now its a street fight. Please try to stay on on type of fight. If its now a fight for survival your charicter should attack striking at the goin and other vulnrable spots, he should also use mives desinded to kill or serously cripple his attacker.

Eileen
04-09-2010, 05:13 PM
you keep adding diffrent thing to the story line. First its just a fight now its a street fight. Please try to stay on on type of fight. If its now a fight for survival your charicter should attack striking at the goin and other vulnrable spots, he should also use mives desinded to kill or serously cripple his attacker.

I told you personally a few posts back that it was a fight in the desert. I never ever said it was a competition fight. It's not a fight for survival, it's for his reputation and none of the characters use "mives"