PDA

View Full Version : Speed vs. Conditioning (Football)

BLOODraven1
04-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I read long cardio will have a negative affect on your speed. Would swimming laps be a good way to get in shape?

What is a good sprinting routine for a TE, and should I include plyo's before or after I sprint?

Thanks a lot

ibuildme
04-03-2010, 06:27 PM
I read long cardio will have a negative affect on your speed. Would swimming laps be a good way to get in shape?

What is a good sprinting routine for a TE, and should I include plyo's before or after I sprint?

Thanks a lot Swimming would obviously keep you in shape...its hard as hell. I dont know if cardio would have a neg on ur speed. I wouldnt be surprised if it does. here are some suggestings

speed ladder
Plyos
Speed jump rope
Stairs
Agility

google speed workouts theres a **** load of everything u want

BLOODraven1
04-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Swimming would obviously keep you in shape...its hard as hell. I dont know if cardio would have a neg on ur speed. I wouldnt be surprised if it does. here are some suggestings

speed ladder
Plyos
Speed jump rope
Stairs
Agility

google speed workouts theres a **** load of everything u want

I looked through a ton of sites. I just cant find a good sprinting routine for a tight end. Some people say dont sprint over 60 yards. Other people say go the whole field.

dolphinsfan270
04-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I looked through a ton of sites. I just cant find a good sprinting routine for a tight end. Some people say dont sprint over 60 yards. Other people say go the whole field.

Ok ill end all of this. You dont want to run long distances or do anycardiovascular training.The reason I say this is because cardiovascular endurance is because it is NOT required in the sport of football. Don’t get me wrong, it’s extremely important to be in great shape to play football, but you don’t have to be in cardiovascular shape. It amazes me how many coaches still don’t get this concept. Swimming is a waste of time if youre training for football, the only reason you should swim a little is to break up the lactic acid and relieve some soreness.

One last rant...
The average football play lasts about 4 seconds with a 30-second rest between plays. During these 4 seconds all hell breaks loose! You must train your body to be fast, strong, explosive and change direction quickly. You also must be able to perform repeated bouts of this “mayhem” over and over during the course of an entire game. In other words, repeated bouts of explosive activities, coupled with brief rest intervals, is a great way to condition football players. This is the logical way to condition for football. Unfortunately, most coaches aren’t logical. They’re ego-maniacs who get off on making kids puke.

I idolized Earl Campbell of the Houston Oilers after seeing a documentary on him on the NFL network. His combination of size and speed amazed me. He ran around guys as easily as he ran through them. He was also one of those running backs that got stronger as the game went on. To me, he was the ultimate running back.

Strangely enough, it was publicized about how Earl Campbell always failed the conditioning test when he reported to camp each year. At that time, the Oilers conditioning test was a 1 mile run. The media was always baffled at how such a great running back was in such poor “condition”. Well, I’ll let you in on a little secret. The exact reason why Earl Campbell failed the mile run was also the exact reason why he was a Hall of Fame running back. In other words, the energy systems that are required to be a great football player are the exact opposite of what’s required to run a mile!

It’s one thing for coaches to be “behind the times” in the 1970’s and 80’s when Earl Campbell played; but there’s no excuse for being “behind the times” in 2010.

I’d rather be in the Hall of Fame than run a 6-minute mile!

EDIT: Part of this is from Joe DeFranco but I added some of my personal opinion too.

federaldb59
04-03-2010, 08:13 PM
you didnt write that. its like all your material, its from defrancos site

Shaun_W
04-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Where did you copy and paste that from dolphinsfan?

federaldb59
04-03-2010, 08:21 PM
http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_04-09-10.htm
3rd question down.

Plagarisim is a crime ya know

Jhawk Fitness
04-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks a lot

Long distance running isn't something you want to get into the habit of doing as it uses the aerobic energy system and uses mainly the slow-twitch muscle fibers. Try speed/agility work and/or HIIT for your conditioning. Swimming isn't a bad option for a bit of cross-training and to add some diversity to your routine.

As for routines;

Sprints ladders, Fartlek runs, Jog/sprint/walks and Interval runs will all help you increase your level of conditioning while relying heavily on the fast-twitch muscle fibers.

As for your last question, perform plyo's first, though, if at all possible you'd separate the two workouts by at least a few hours.

BLOODraven1
04-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Long distance running isn't something you want to get into the habit of doing as it uses the aerobic energy system and uses mainly the slow-twitch muscle fibers. Try speed/agility work and/or HIIT for your conditioning. Swimming isn't a bad option for a bit of cross-training and to add some diversity to your routine.

As for routines;

Sprints ladders, Fartlek runs, Jog/sprint/walks and Interval runs will all help you increase your level of conditioning while relying heavily on the fast-twitch muscle fibers.

As for your last question, perform plyo's first, though, if at all possible you'd separate the two workouts by at least a few hours.

thanks for this. could you please show me a good sample workout. Id like to know how much sprinting/ speed training is enough.

Jhawk Fitness
04-04-2010, 07:41 PM
thanks for this. could you please show me a good sample workout. Id like to know how much sprinting/ speed training is enough.

Were you looking for a weekly setup or an actual workout session?

Also be sure to check out the board at my site; http://topspeedtraining.proboards.com/index.cgi

BLOODraven1
04-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Were you looking for a weekly setup or an actual workout session?

Also be sure to check out the board at my site; http://topspeedtraining.proboards.com/index.cgi

just an actual session would be great. How long should my sprints be, and how many times should i do them.

thanks a lot

Jhawk Fitness
04-04-2010, 11:12 PM
just an actual session would be great. How long should my sprints be, and how many times should i do them.

thanks a lot

I'll cover the question over at my board, I'll post a sample speed-training day. If you haven't yet, go post your thread there.