PDA

View Full Version : protein/fat meal one hr after training??

wh0died
05-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Here's the deal. I work out at night with my brother because thats the only time we can do it. So I'll have a post work out shake, and then 1-130 later (my last meal before going to bed)will have a protein/carb meal. with the carbs usually coming from rice. I've noticed a bit more fat gain that I'd like during this bulk and I think that might be it. Do you guys think I should switch to a protien/fat meal post post workout, which happens to be my last meal before sleep?? Would that reduce the amount of fat I'm gaining, or would that hinder gains in some why (I cant comprehend why it would)??

-Dave

janderstein
05-05-2003, 03:35 PM
I wouldnt say so, you really want to replenish those glycogen stores, as that is the most important thing,I would say if you are seeing more fat gain than you like, either be patient and train it out, or reduce a little, but I would suggest these reductions come from your earlier meals as you dont want to skimp at all post workout. Another thing P-f, so close to a workout and a p-c meal is a not a good idea for the fact that insulin is still present in the blood stream.

wh0died
05-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by janderstein
I wouldnt say so, you really want to replenish those glycogen stores, as that is the most important thing,I would say if you are seeing more fat gain than you like, either be patient and train it out, or reduce a little, but I would suggest these reductions come from your earlier meals as you dont want to skimp at all post workout. Another thing P-f, so close to a workout and a p-c meal is a not a good idea for the fact that insulin is still present in the blood stream.

I know that I shouldn't have a p/f meal within 3 hrs of having a p/c meal because of the insulin levels being elevated. I figured since it was right before bedtime then it might be ok somehow, stupid theory I guess. I'm gonna try and limit my carbs except for breakfast, pre workout and post workout. What about non-training days??? Should I not have any carbs in my last two meals? My meals on a non training day would be...p/c, p/c, p/f, p/c/ p/f, p/f. And on a training day, how would I set it up?

-Dave

wh0died
05-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Or what if I do 100 sit ups a night?? That way I can eat whatever I want all day and have develop a washboard stomach. Yeah that sounds good.

:D

janderstein
05-05-2003, 05:24 PM
I really cant advise you on what I think your meals should go like without hearing your specific goals, I would think that you want to gain lean mass like the most of us, with minimal fat, but really specificsare needed, I am more than willing to help though

wh0died
05-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by janderstein
I really cant advise you on what I think your meals should go like without hearing your specific goals, I would think that you want to gain lean mass like the most of us, with minimal fat, but really specificsare needed, I am more than willing to help though

Goals right now....I'm about 5'10, 165 at maybe 12%bf (guess)

At the end of this 5X5 routine I'm using (just started it, so 9 weeks left) I wanna be about 170+ at the same bf%. Right now I'm looking more towards strength because I dont want to do a full out bulk until after summer is over. I'm just looking to gain atleast 5lbs of lean mass in 9 weeks with stregnth gains. I'm also wordering if I should throw in a couple of cardio days. I would also be happy staying the same weight while dropping some fat. Meaning I would gain in muscle what I lost in fat. Possile??? I dont see why not. You seem like a nice guy, keep the advice coming.

-Dave

janderstein
05-06-2003, 09:37 AM
WEll I am kind of in the same boat as you, but right now I am doing somethin a little different to get ready for a photo shoot, but when that is over I will go back to this routine.
meal 1: oats, apple, GROW shake
train
meal 2: post workout 60g dextrose, and 22 g whey shake
meal 3: 1 hr. later, chicken breast, 14oz yams
meal 4 realllllly big chicken salad
meal 5: 300g tuna salad, and 1tbl flax oil
meal 6: 2 tbl cashew butter, GROW shake
that is my breakdown and I have good results, I really think that by eating all your carbs in the early hours and around training i optimal, and that tapering off with healthy fats at night is just as important, I am more than willing to help, and hope I did, but you need to ask questions bro,

wh0died
05-06-2003, 06:27 PM
Haha yeah I guess I havent really asked many questions but thought it was already implyed. So my basic question is this: Since I have been gaining a bit of fat lately i think that might be because of the carbs taken in right before bedtime. I have no other time to train besides at night, a couple of hours (at most) before hitting the sack. What kind of meal should I have prior to going to bed. Like at 12:30 I will have a PW shake and then right before bed, like around 2 what should I eat??

-Dave

janderstein
05-06-2003, 07:33 PM
I would suggest that you eat your last meal closer too your post workout shake, this way you will ensure the carbs uptake, I feel an hour is the right amount of time, you still want to have carbs in this meal, and plenty of them to replenish glycogen, but I would opt for a slower digesting protein like cottage cheese, but still a good whey/casien blended protein is good, as is anyother lean protein source. I would say that since you are training so late than try to get some p-f meals in prior to trainig, dpending on how many you have. I hope that helps, ask more if needed