PDA

View Full Version : Which Bro Science is Science?

Niko49ers
03-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Heard two different theories:

For immediate post workout, eat some simple carbs (sugar) for an insulin spike, then chow down a ton of protein and complex carbs.

Would look something like this:
-Get home
-Prepare blender with: Skim Milk, 2 scoops Whey, Banana
-Drink glass of orange juice (25g sugar)
-Stick in microwave: Quaker Instant Oatmeal.
-Start microwave, start blender.
-Eat Oatmeal, Drink Shake.

The other bro science was

For immediate post work out, eat a ton of simple carbs (sugars) and a ton of protein for the insulin spike and protein to your muscles faster, because, if you did it with complex carbs, that would slow the protein down.

Would look something like this:
-Get home
-Prepare blender with: Skim Milk, 2 Scoops Whey, Banana, 1 tea spoon sugar
-Drink glass of orange juice (25g sugar) with tea spoon added sugar (+5g sugar)

------------------------------

Which is science?

snorkelman
03-29-2010, 02:22 PM
both are bro-science. If you have a regular meal with carbs and protein and fat (a couple slices of pizza even) will maximally spike insulin for net muscle protein balance (muscle protein synthesis minus muscle protein breakdown).

jxd
03-29-2010, 02:22 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=11356062&postcount=3088

PBateman2
03-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Dont worry about insulin spikes - IMO!!! I always get a kick out of these so called spikes. So how many fast acting carbs do you need PWO for this insulin spike? Is 25g sugar PWO enough? And to what degree does your insulin get "spiked"?

Keep it simple! Just get your protein and carbs in PWO whether it be a shake or whole food meal. Then 1-2 hours later have another meal. PWO I like to have a combo of fast (i.e. banana, honey, etc..) and slow acting carbs (usually oats) as I see my body seems to benefit best from that. See what works for you. All trial and error.

felony9071
03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
I don't go for the simple carbs after workout. I usually down a shake instantly after workout then 1-2 hours later eat oatmeal/Chicken.

Trillios
03-29-2010, 04:54 PM
OMNOMNOM! Just finished my oatmeal and tuna+dressing...which happens to be my PWO meal :). Just make sure you get your daily macros/calories in and you're set. Don't worry specifically about what you have PWO simple sugars or complex, JUST EAT!