PDA

View Full Version : Casein vs. Chicken/Tuna/Cottage Cheese before bed

pimpalicious1
03-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Hey guys,

I am wondering about casein because of how expensive it is. I am on a cut and doing very well (about 18 lbs. in three months and it looks like A LOT of my muscle is still there, if not all). I just started using casein over the past two days, and this **** is expensive. Can I just eat some chicken or tuna before bed and get the same results; I mean, aren't they also slow digesting? I have had a bit of trouble sleeping for a while now, and that is despite having started taking casein. If not chicken or tuna, which I prefer, then can I use cottage cheese instead? Thanks guys.

RyouBakua
03-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Cottage Cheese is casein protein.
The protein in the milk is 80% casein.

Casein is the best but if dont have any then chicken or tuna should be fine.

Sometimes instead of a shake, ill have chicken, cottage cheese and broccoli before bed.
(I like broccoli to help me digest)

PBateman2
03-28-2010, 11:09 AM
If you can stick with casein protein then do so (i.e. cottage cheese would suffice) before bed. In the end though, wont make too much difference if you went with chicken or tuna instead.

The thing with casein is that not only is it slow digesting but it’s high in glutamine. Out of all the proteins, casein protein contains the highest amounts of the amino acid glutamine, which can benefit bodybuilders/athletes and those looking to gain weight by helping preserve muscle mass and aiding immune system function. So it has its advantages:)

pimpalicious1
03-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Cool, thank you very much fellas. One additional question that I forgot for anyone:

How many grams of protein (casein) should one consume before going to sleep? I was doing about 50g so far. Is 20-30 okay? Is 50g better? The reason I ask is because once I run out of the casein powder I want to eat cottage cheese, but I am still cutting so I want to avoid as many calories as possible. Thanks!

in10city
03-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Casein protein before bed is absolutely not necessary. If you are going to eat, pretty much any protein of your choices would be OK.

RealMenDeadLift
03-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Neither is focusing on food with high glutamine content provided you have a sufficient protein intake.

Fitness_By_Alex
03-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey guys,

I am wondering about casein because of how expensive it is. I am on a cut and doing very well (about 18 lbs. in three months and it looks like A LOT of my muscle is still there, if not all). I just started using casein over the past two days, and this **** is expensive. Can I just eat some chicken or tuna before bed and get the same results; I mean, aren't they also slow digesting? I have had a bit of trouble sleeping for a while now, and that is despite having started taking casein. If not chicken or tuna, which I prefer, then can I use cottage cheese instead? Thanks guys.

Lean red meat (top/eye round) and 1-2 cups of green leafy vegetables is my favorite pre-bed meal. This is what I often do and what I recommend to my clients for the most part.. (until the last few weeks prior to a contest/photo-shoot)...

-Alex

MikeK46
03-28-2010, 08:24 PM
"Large increases in blood amino acid levels (100-200% above the fasted baseline) are necessary for increasing protein synthesis. Therefore a protein meal containing at least 20-30 grams of fast-digesting protein (like whey) can accomplish such a goal. To inhibit protein breakdown we only need small increases in blood amino-acid levels (25-50% above fasted baseline). However, these small increases must be prolonged (4-5 hours) in order to realize this inhibition of protein breakdown. In this situation, a slow-digesting protein like casein is necessary."

Answer: Whey + casein blend.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bedtime.htm