PDA

View Full Version : Confused as to why i keep seeing this...

unrealone
03-25-2010, 10:58 AM
im cutting right now and am keeping carbs under 50ish a day. im a bit confused as to why i keep seeing people say to keep eating all veggies with my meals and not worry about the carbs in them. i eat very low carb green veggies usually and stay away from potatoes, corn, peas etc... so why do i keep reading that i shouldnt pay much attention or to count the carbs in veggies?

Teflon_Don
03-25-2010, 11:06 AM
im cutting right now and am keeping carbs under 50ish a day. im a bit confused as to why i keep seeing people say to keep eating all veggies with my meals and not worry about the carbs in them. i eat very low carb green veggies usually and stay away from potatoes, corn, peas etc... so why do i keep reading that i shouldnt pay much attention or to count the carbs in veggies?

Go to the "keto" forum and ask there. They'll prob tell you it has to do with fiber cals "cancelling" out the non-fiber carbs.

CyberGlitch
03-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Your body can not absorb fiber. So any carbs coming from fiber will not cause your body to store and break them down into sugars.

Maddrox
03-25-2010, 12:36 PM
From my understanding they are called complex carbs and are fibrous? Have read that they don't exactly count or something like that, so I just eat my veggies and not worry about that.

snorkelman
03-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Probably because science shows us that low-carb diets offer no weight loss benefits over high-carb diets when you look at controlled studies where the duration or follow-up points reach the 12-month mark.

In 2006 a study was done which indicates that ketogenic diets specifically offer no metabolic advantage over non-ketogenic dieting.

See, Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets. Johnston CS, Tjonn SL, Swan PD, White A, Hutchins H, Sears B. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 May;83(5):1055-61.(PMID: 16685046) abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685046?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

unrealone
03-25-2010, 01:30 PM
good to know snorkelman. like i said, im low carbing/high protein dieting right now and doing Insanity cardio 6 days a week/or running and lifting 3-4 days a week and although the studies may say theres no proof that low carbing aids in weight loss and it might not work for everyone, but its worked like a charm for me. i was just curious as to why i have been reading that carbs in veggies dont really count. i would love to throw a serving of white beans or chili beans into my post workout meal if its not going to effect my carb count.

good idea T Don...ill bring it up in keto and see if they have an opinion. no harm in getting as many ideas/opinions as possible. thanks guys

SuffolkPunch
03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
I second what Snorkelman says - no reason to avoid carbs. It's an excess of calories that makes us fat regardless of where they come from. So by the same token, it's a defecit of calories that makes us lose weight.

Just eat whatever you need to stay healthy and hit your calorie and protein targets. Vegetables are excellent for this purpose (although don't contain much protein)

Teflon_Don
03-25-2010, 01:40 PM
good to know snorkelman. like i said, im low carbing/high protein dieting right now and doing Insanity cardio 6 days a week/or running and lifting 3-4 days a week and although the studies may say theres no proof that low carbing aids in weight loss and it might not work for everyone, but its worked like a charm for me. i was just curious as to why i have been reading that carbs in veggies dont really count. i would love to throw a serving of white beans or chili beans into my post workout meal if its not going to effect my carb count.

Yeah....No. Leafy green veggies and Cruciferous veggies, but not beans.

jcosley
03-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Because counting carbs in veggies is stupid. :cool:

Layziegtp
03-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah....No. Leafy green veggies and Cruciferous veggies, but not beans.

I know you expressly said not beans, but what about green beans? =) They seem closer to a leafy green.

chud50
03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
carbs aren't bad. especially veggies, wtf man.

belairdfence99
03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Because counting carbs in veggies is stupid. :cool:

This. Anything like lettuce, spinach, broccoli, etc. It has very little calories and is not worth counting because a cup of broccoli is going to fill you up a LOT. They can be used to satisfy, but you are very unlikely to overeat on them.

coolspin27
03-25-2010, 08:20 PM
It is because of the fiber... someone mentioned this above. And as far as low carb not aiding in weight loss. Well it is true that calories are calories. Carbs do not fill you up the same as protein does. Also on a side not. 200 cals of carbs take roughtly 18 calories to digest. 200 calories of whole protein takes around 40 calories to digest... just saying.

Iron Chicano
03-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Most people can go crazy on veggies and not go into the danger zone as far as calories go, after eating so many you should probably feel full but that doesn't go for everyone...