PDA

View Full Version : Possible to lose with just a deficit and no exercise?

cyay918
03-25-2010, 08:00 AM
My situation has changed from the last time I posted on these forums about a year ago. Went through a rough time but I think everything is somewhat stable now.

I am wondering if it is possible to lose weight without exercise simply by reducing calorie intake below the number of calories you burn just for being awake. Metabolic rate? I forget the exact term.

Im 300 pounds, 6'1 in height. Ive been using fitday for the past week to kinda keep an eye on what I eat. I am not really picky with my food and at as long as it doesn't taste horrible, I can eat the same stuff for weeks at a time.

Typically this is how my day goes and why I cant exercise.

6:30AM Get up, get dressed, get kids ready for school
7:00AM Eat 4 large scrambled eggs with 4 tbs of salsa. Wash it down with 1 cup (measured) of fresh squeezed OJ with pulp that I used to take a multivitamin
7:20AM Take kids to school and start my 2 hour commute to work in Atlanta
12:00PM Snack of normally some wheat thins or a piece of fruit
2:00PM Lunch that normally consists of a salad topped with chicken, or some other high protien meal such as chicken breasts and maybe some fresh veggies
6:00PM Snack of typically some kind of protien. Tuna or beef jerky or something to hold me over for the night
7:00 Start 2 hour drive home
9:00 Arrive at home, take shower, put kids in bed, clean a little to help my wife out, go to bed around 10:30PM

As far as drinks go, I drink Ice Water all day long. No sweetners, no crystal light or anything. Just water. I have some form of a "zero" coke product once every 2 or 3 days or so.

As you see the commute to my job is 2 hours each way which cant be helped in this current economy. I have to drive to Atlanta for work but its a good job so I dont really mind it.

According to fitday, I have been taking in between 1500 - 1800 calories a day. According to them and my weight, I burn about 3400 a day just from my metabolic rate not counting any form of exercise.

My question is, will I lose weight like this? Im not looking for an overnight transformation. I could actually eat less food since what I am currently eating keeps me satisfied but I have heard that if you take in under 1000 cals a day, your body goes into that dreaded starvation mode.

Thanks for your help. I know a lot of people make excuses for not exercising but I honestly do not have time and I need to shed a few pounds. I just started this job about a month ago and now that I am settled in, I am looking for ways to start losing weight.

Cachexic
03-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Buy a jump rope for 5 dollars, keep it in your car. 10-15 minutes a day working your ass off until you feel sick will significantly boost your metabolism and fat loss. No excuses. We're all busy.

ReedT
03-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Yes it is possible to loose weight if you eat under your Daily Caloric Maintenance. Technically speaking, exercise of any sort simply burns more calories in addition to the calories you consume going about day to day so it's necessary from that vantage point. It will take you longer to loose weight but its definitely possible.

mad_x_00
03-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Buy a jump rope for 5 dollars, keep it in your car. 10-15 minutes a day working your ass off until you feel sick will significantly boost your metabolism and fat loss. No excuses. We're all busy.

this is true...everyone has a break!...bring gym clothes....jump rope like above said or do sprints...you need something to bring your metabolism up.

zerocool333
03-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Yes, of course you can. I lost about 40 lbs without exercising but in reality you have to ask yourself "why" you want to lose weight. If the answer is because of your health then you're gonna have to rethink your approach and start exercising. Honestly you have plenty of time to workout. You could get up at 5:30, workout for 30-45 min, and still get plenty of sleep. And you dont have to kill yourself working out either. 3 or 4 sessions per week is plenty. Start slow and you will realize after a few weeks how much better you feel when you incorporate exercise. Seems like you already know what to eat but you might be eating too little at this point. Great job on making the decision to be healthy.

MCrow
03-25-2010, 08:24 AM
I go for a walk during my break at work most days or do some push up or situps in my cube.

But yes, you can lose weight by just eating less than your BMR. Those BMR #'s are just an extimate though so you'll probably have to tinker with it a bit to find where weight loss will start for you. Most people will lose a pound per week by cutting out 500 calories a day.

doit4dame
03-25-2010, 08:24 AM
I think you will lose as long as your in a deficit. But like they say skip a little rope or something at least 15 minutes. You'll feel great and probably get addicted to your "break".

cyay918
03-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Yeah I mean the only problem with working out on my break is taht I work in a corporate environment and I wear a suit. Plus I would have to shower or something afterwards. Wouldn't have the time. Ill see how this goes and I may start getting up earlier to try to do some stuff before I start my day.

the_GUNN_man
03-25-2010, 09:01 AM
I went from 243.6 to 181.8 lbs. in about 6 months just by lowering my calories and 0% exercise. I stalled out there. It then took exercise and lifting to drop the next 10. I am now losing fat at a slightly greater rate than I am building muscle. I eat about 2400 - 2500 calories a day. I burn about 3200 a day. I do seem to binge eat for a day every other week. If I didn't do that I would be losing more fat. I think I am binge eating because my daily fat intake is too low. I should be taking in about 50 to 60 grams of fat per day and sometimes I only take in 25 grams, mostly though nuts.

loyolacub68
03-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Of course you will. If you are truely eating at a deficit then you will lose weight. It will be much slower than if you were working out. Imagine if your BMR is 2000 calories a day and you intake that same amount. You would be static. Then if you introduced excercise that burned say 300 calories, given the same amount of caloric intake, you have a net caloric intake of 1,700. That deficit would cause you to lose weight, its the exact same thing.

So, if you are indeed taking in less than you burn, you will lose weight. Will you look good? Probably not. Unless you are the kind of person that is just naturally muscular, but even then eating at a deficit and not working out you will probably not be overly happy with how your body looks.

I agree with the people above, there is no reason you can't jump rope for 10-15 minutes a day in the parking lot.

loyolacub68
03-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I went from 243.6 to 181.8 lbs. in about 6 months just by lowering my calories and 0% exercise. I stalled out there. It then took exercise and lifting to drop the next 10. I am now losing fat at a slightly greater rate than I am building muscle. I eat about 2400 - 2500 calories a day. I burn about 3200 a day. I do seem to binge eat for a day every other week. If I didn't do that I would be losing more fat. I think I am binge eating because my daily fat intake is too low. I should be taking in about 50 to 60 grams of fat per day and sometimes I only take in 25 grams, mostly though nuts.

Perfect example of why this approach only goes so far. As your weight decreases so does your BMR. It then becomes more and more difficult to eat at a caloric deficit to the point where you would have noticeable results without exercise.

cyay918
03-25-2010, 09:36 AM
So can anyone suggest a good jump rope to buy for a beginner? Im 6'1 so I dont know what length I really need either.

loyolacub68
03-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Found this over at squidoo.com/jumpropes

Jumproping is one of the best exercises to increase your cardio capacity. All you need is a jumprope and a small space to jump. It can be done outdoors or indoors when weather is bad. You can take a jumprope with you when travelling. 10 minutes of jumproping burns as many calories as 20 minutes of jogging.

When you select a jumprope, you first need to size it up properly. You may have to shorten the cord. Most jumpropes come in lengths of 9 ft, which will accomodate most heights up to 6ft 2in. If you are shorter than that, all jumpropes have a cord which may be cut down to size by undoing the handle, cutting, and re-attaching the handle. To properly size your jumprope, hold the handles and stand on the middle of the rope. Your hands should come up to your pectoral muscles.

Extra heavy jumpropes are doubly useful for building arm muscles as well as cardio capacity. Heavy weighted jumpropes come in weights of one to four pounds. Jumping rope with a four pound heavy jumprope is like wrestling a snake. You'll be doing well if you can last for one minute at this poundage.

GettingfitAgain
03-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Typically this is how my day goes and why I cant exercise.

6:30AM Get up, get dressed, get kids ready for school

Make the time to workout. I get up at 5am and work out for an hour at the gym. I get home, take a shower and get my kid ready for school.

Takes a little while to get used to but everyone can make time if they really want to.

5am works out great because my wife and kid are still asleep, the gym is empty and I can use any machine I want.

cyay918
03-25-2010, 10:27 AM
I dont see how yall get up early to work out. I am dead ass tired when I wake up at my normal time to get ready to go to work. I cant imagine waking up at 5AM to go to the gym while im 1/2 asleep Im sure id get used to it but it would be rough!

zerocool333
03-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Jumping rope is hard as hell especially for a 300lb guy who has not exercised in a while. I recommend starting with a light jog or walking instead. Its up to you but I would do something that your gonna stick to.

mickdoo
03-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Go for a walk at lunch and in am. Getup earlier. I get up 4 am ,everyday and I don't even have to.

Tiffany_P
03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Of course you can lose weight without exercise. Exercise is a very small component of TDEE.

loyolacub68
03-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Go for a walk at lunch and in am. Getup earlier. I get up 4 am ,everyday and I don't even have to.

Or maybe just get rid of sleep all together?

The guy said he gets home at 9pm and goes to bed at 10:30. He should be getting plenty of sleep if he wants to start living a healthy lifestyle.

biggestdog2007
03-25-2010, 11:50 AM
At 300lbs, with a correct diet you will lose weight and fast with no exercise. However, if you want to lose it even faster, do some cardio, it will definitely help.

LadyFacade
03-25-2010, 12:11 PM
He's six feet tall and 300lbs... not 500. He will be able to manage, though he might be out of breath.

I get up at 5 every morning and hit the gym... and I run two businesses as a single parent. I was in your shoes. If you want it bad enough, you will make time for yourself. Really, it's that simple.

There are holes in your day.. plug them with activity. Your weight will come right off. :)