PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP ASAP! my 40 yard dash time... OMFG

whappend12
03-23-2010, 07:48 PM
omfg I feel like S**t!!! I RAN A 5.4 today!!! a FLIPPING 5.4!!!! IM MAD AS ALL HELL!!!!!..... I use to run a 4.8 last july!!!!!! help me guys... tell me what to do.... they will giving me my fit test in august... a 5.4 is TERRIBLE.... please guys im asking for some help tell me what to do... I need my 4.8 back....

( i was sore from squats.. and leg extensions/calf raises. Ima run it again tommorow see what I get... but please all help will be apprecated)

UNOMav
03-23-2010, 08:06 PM
omfg I feel like S**t!!! I RAN A 5.4 today!!! a FLIPPING 5.4!!!! IM MAD AS ALL HELL!!!!!..... I use to run a 4.8 last july!!!!!! help me guys... tell me what to do.... they will giving me my fit test in august... a 5.4 is TERRIBLE.... please guys im asking for some help tell me what to do... I need my 4.8 back....

( i was sore from squats.. and leg extensions/calf raises. Ima run it again tommorow see what I get... but please all help will be apprecated)

I'm going to start this in summer. Go down to 2nd place to the Sprinting & Plyometrics routine.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek29.htm

MONDAY (A.M.) - Max-Effort Upper Body lift (below)
MONDAY (P.M.) - Plyometrics Routine
TUESDAY - Sprint work
WEDNESDAY - Max-Effort Lower Body Lift (below)
THURSDAY - Plyometric Routine
FRIDAY - Repetition Upper Body lift (below)
SATURDAY - Sprint work and Plyometric Routine
SUNDAY - OFF

Don't use the lifting routine on this just the sprinting & plyometrics routine.

Plyos
Warm-up:
30 yd run at 50% speed
30 yd run at 50% speed
40 yd run at 75% speed
40 yd run at 90% speed

High Knees 3x30 yd

Butt Kicks 3x30 yd

Transition Sprints 4x40 yd

Lunges 2x15 yd

Frog Leaps 2x15 yd
Sprints
Warm-up:
30 yd run at 50% speed
60 yd run at 50% speed
60 yd run at 70% speed
80 yd run at 70% speed

Full Speed Sprints:
2x10 yd
5x40 yd
2x80 yd
1x100 yd

Reverse Sprints **
3x30 yd

**On Reverse sprints you will back pedal for 30yds and sprint back to the starting point.**

Just use it in the schedule posted above with your school's lifting routine.

whappend12
03-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm going to start this in summer. Go down to 2nd place to the Sprinting & Plyometrics routine.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek29.htm

MONDAY (A.M.) - Max-Effort Upper Body lift (below)
MONDAY (P.M.) - Plyometrics Routine
TUESDAY - Sprint work
WEDNESDAY - Max-Effort Lower Body Lift (below)
THURSDAY - Plyometric Routine
FRIDAY - Repetition Upper Body lift (below)
SATURDAY - Sprint work and Plyometric Routine
SUNDAY - OFF

Don't use the lifting routine on this just the sprinting & plyometrics routine.

Plyos
Warm-up:
30 yd run at 50% speed
30 yd run at 50% speed
40 yd run at 75% speed
40 yd run at 90% speed

High Knees 3x30 yd

Butt Kicks 3x30 yd

Transition Sprints 4x40 yd

Lunges 2x15 yd

Frog Leaps 2x15 yd
Sprints
Warm-up:
30 yd run at 50% speed
60 yd run at 50% speed
60 yd run at 70% speed
80 yd run at 70% speed

Full Speed Sprints:
2x10 yd
5x40 yd
2x80 yd
1x100 yd

Reverse Sprints **
3x30 yd

**On Reverse sprints you will back pedal for 30yds and sprint back to the starting point.**

Just use it in the schedule posted above with your school's lifting routine.

thanks bud +rep

UNOMav
03-23-2010, 08:17 PM
thanks bud +rep

No problem man, thanks for the reps. Best of luck on your development.

MikeDS
03-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Well, soreness could be a problem but why are you lifting(lower-body) a day before sprinting? Acceleration training is most important in a 40yd dash time and therefore concludes pylos and sprint work. Examples of my acceleration sprint work includes:

1) 4-point stance, 20-30m. Here you focus on the start where you need to push off the ground hard and keep your body low naturally.

2) Flying 20s. Get ready a 10m plane and place something there (Bottle for example) Jog up to the bottle and then sprint all-out suddenly for 20m.

stnicka
03-23-2010, 08:54 PM
4.8 at 14 i ****in doubt that, is it a hand time it must be that **** can be off by .5

federaldb59
03-24-2010, 10:20 AM
sprints arent going to help you that much. Normally kids in your age group run slow because the lack the necessary leg strength to enable them to be faster. If you can push you leg off the ground faster you can run faster. Work on your flexibility as well, will allow you to cover a little more ground per step.

I doubt you ran a 4.8 or watever before theres no way you slowed down .6 seconds in a couple months. Bad timer or a bad watch or something it seems.

BalloonKnot
03-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Get stronger...

dday39
03-24-2010, 10:29 AM
40 times are not exact. Look at the Florida boys who ran much slower at the NFL combine than they did at school.

You've gotta work the whole system. You should run some 1/4 & 1/2 miles, and do some sprint work after. Distance runners work on sprints a lot more than you think and sprinters work on distance runs more than you think.

A fast 40 is more about the start. But work it all. Starts, 20's 1/4 miles, 100's, etc.

federaldb59
03-24-2010, 11:01 AM
40 times are not exact. Look at the Florida boys who ran much slower at the NFL combine than they did at school.

You've gotta work the whole system. You should run some 1/4 & 1/2 miles, and do some sprint work after. Distance runners work on sprints a lot more than you think and sprinters work on distance runs more than you think.

A fast 40 is more about the start. But work it all. Starts, 20's 1/4 miles, 100's, etc.

if you play football disregard this. no offense but kinda bad advice to a 14 year old. I dont know or care about track or cross country but I know about football.

whappend12
03-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks to all of you
And yes I do run a 4.8 appreantly it was the soreness... I Now run a 5. , and at 14 years old? what are you talking about you can run a 4.8... Tell that too the kids at DBHS,and LHS

dday39
03-24-2010, 01:35 PM
if you play football disregard this. no offense but kinda bad advice to a 14 year old. I dont know or care about track or cross country but I know about football.

Really? I know football too. Like I said 40 times aren't exact. Not at the combine, not at school. Fast 40's require fast, clean starts. Stamina makes a difference in sprints. Where's the bad advice??

Dennis71
03-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks to all of you
And yes I do run a 4.8 appreantly it was the soreness... I Now run a 5. , and at 14 years old? what are you talking about you can run a 4.8... Tell that too the kids at DBHS,and LHS

4.8 at 14 years old is really good
the person timing your runs is most likely awful if yur team is running 4.8s (that are all 14)

whappend12
03-24-2010, 02:32 PM
4.8 at 14 years old is really good
the person timing your runs is most likely awful if yur team is running 4.8s (that are all 14)

that would be the coaches...

federaldb59
03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Really? I know football too. Like I said 40 times aren't exact. Not at the combine, not at school. Fast 40's require fast, clean starts. Stamina makes a difference in sprints. Where's the bad advice??

the whole 1/2 mile running thing. why do you want athletes to run a 1/2 mile for a sport where the action is intense for 6 seconds followed by a 25-30 second rest? Why not train like that? Cant the stamina be trained using sprints?

DocHollidy
03-24-2010, 03:47 PM

nothing wrong with doing 1/8 miles thats 200 meter runs to build stamina, granted the emphasis is run and not jog, anything above that is not really necessary

TheHitStick
03-24-2010, 04:05 PM
I bet you didn't stretch at all over your life probably lol. You have to kill yourself each day by stretching. This and technique will drop that 40.

jdelarod
03-24-2010, 04:59 PM
so you ran a 4.8 a year ago when you were 13? You probably bench 525 with a 41 inch vertical leap as well.

Im willing to bet someone fast fingered the stop watch. It happens. When I was 13 I ran a 220 in 14 seconds flat. Or so I thought . . .

The_Terrorist
03-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Ummmmm.... 4.8 for a 40 yard dash is our varsity's top 10 average time for TRACK. I go to a very prestigious school, known for basically every sport.

moose45
03-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah, its obvious shenanigans, but how fast you run an inaccurately timed forty isn't really important. It's about how you play on the field, you shouldn't be worrying about 40 times until you start getting recruited...

dixieland1204
03-25-2010, 10:33 AM
get strong, do plyometrics, and do short sprints

GoofyGoober
03-25-2010, 02:25 PM
wow a 5.4.....not good. I ran the 40 once when I was 12, and I believe that at 5 foot 2 i got a five two.

good luck on your next 40

The_Terrorist
03-25-2010, 04:06 PM
wow a 5.4.....not good. I ran the 40 once when I was 12, and I believe that at 5 foot 2 i got a five two.

good luck on your next 40

What the ****? A 5.4 is above average for a freshman. Idk where the **** you pulled this post out of your ass, but can you kindly place in back in the toilet and flush? Thanks

roid_monkey
03-25-2010, 09:36 PM
gain some muscle. how many fast 130 pounders have you ever seen?

DRiFT2oNR
03-26-2010, 11:27 AM
gain some muscle. how many fast 130 pounders have you ever seen?

Alot actually, but none that played football lol. A 130 lber would come out injured on the first play.

SDOptimist
03-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks to all of you

first of all..you are 14. you dont run a 4.8.

maybe thats what you got timed at by your coaches using a stop watch and who measured out the 40 yards with their feet and estimations...pretty common in hs sports. especially freshman and jv teams.

the big reason why you arent running a fast 40 is simply because of your age. when I was a sr in hs i got a 4.63 40. however, when i was a freshman and sophomore in hs..so 14-15 years old, I ran in the mid 5's..something like 5.5-5.6.

secondly the single most important thing with the 40 is your start. no matter how fast you are..if you dont have your start down to near perfection, you wont run at top speed and you wont get the good time.

i see a lot of young kids make the mistake thinking they start the 40 in a wr stance.

another HUGE factor is running FORM.

ElTioMoreno
03-27-2010, 09:46 PM
When all is said and done and your on that line clear your head...I had a couple 40's where i wasn't relaxed and focused and i misstepped, obviously you are giving another chance but it leaves you at times mentally shook.

stnicka
03-28-2010, 11:46 AM
first of all..you are 14. you dont run a 4.8.

maybe thats what you got timed at by your coaches using a stop watch and who measured out the 40 yards with their feet and estimations...pretty common in hs sports. especially freshman and jv teams.

the big reason why you arent running a fast 40 is simply because of your age. when I was a sr in hs i got a 4.63 40. however, when i was a freshman and sophomore in hs..so 14-15 years old, I ran in the mid 5's..something like 5.5-5.6.

secondly the single most important thing with the 40 is your start. no matter how fast you are..if you dont have your start down to near perfection, you wont run at top speed and you wont get the good time.

i see a lot of young kids make the mistake thinking they start the 40 in a wr stance.

another HUGE factor is running FORM.

this no 14 yr old is running a 4.8 thats what i run now after working out like crazy for 8 months and running track for 3 years

mwhetstone48
03-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Do Squats, Lunges, Deadlifts, Power Cleans, Glute/Ham raises... basically anything to develop the Hamstrings and Glutes... also some resistance sprints and plyometrics would be a good addition... and train explosively as much as possible, slow and steady is for body builders

208-need-175
03-28-2010, 05:26 PM
im 214 lbs and a decent bodyfat and ran a 5.1 sucks for u lol

stnicka
03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
this no 14 yr old is running a 4.8 thats what i run now after working out like crazy for 8 months and running track for 3 years

i actually did run a 4.8 today and got a 4.36 pro agility

Zenkei18
04-01-2010, 05:01 PM
whats ur bodyfat op

and also what is squat and clean if u are doing them yet

GoofyGoober
04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
What the ****? A 5.4 is above average for a freshman. Idk where the **** you pulled this post out of your ass, but can you kindly place in back in the toilet and flush? Thanks

Where the **** do you go where a 5.4 is average?

On a hand timed test where coaches always short hand, a 5.4 is slow as **** for a 125 pound kid.

If you read the OP, you would realize hes not at the ****ing NFL Combine and hes not running a laser timed 40. No coach can get a perfect time, so they usually end up short handing to make the kid .25 faster because no kid is going to believe he ran a 6.

For skinny guys like the OP and myself, it should be easier to move faster (atleast in early high school years)

the kids not 5 foot 9, 200 pounds playing nose tackle. a 5.4 on a shorthanded time is slow

NO.PAIN_NO.GAIN
04-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Wow I just have to point at the age bias here is ridiculous. He could have recruited a majority more of fast twitch fibers than others or just have good genetics. And LOL at the kid whos school is "known for almost every sport".. You obviously are not from Florida Texas California or other football powerhouse states. Upper 10% running 4.8's WTF. Some of our fastest lineman run 5.0 or high 4's. Our running backs 4.5's or lower. Hell our QB runs 4.5. Our kicker got clocked at 4.91. **** im 270 and run a 5.1.

The_Terrorist
04-02-2010, 07:39 AM
So your quarterbacks can run as fast as NFL players now? I see.... Dude get real, if that were true, then your whole team would get recruited by D1. And actually, yes, my school is a football powerhouse.

DocHollidy
04-02-2010, 07:48 AM
wow i just have to point at the age bias here is ridiculous. He could have recruited a majority more of fast twitch fibers than others or just have good genetics. And lol at the kid whos school is "known for almost every sport".. You obviously are not from florida texas california or other football powerhouse states. Upper 10% running 4.8's wtf. Some of our fastest lineman run 5.0 or high 4's. Our running backs 4.5's or lower. Hell our qb runs 4.5. Our kicker got clocked at 4.91. **** im 270 and run a 5.1.

lol

stnicka
04-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Wow I just have to point at the age bias here is ridiculous. He could have recruited a majority more of fast twitch fibers than others or just have good genetics. And LOL at the kid whos school is "known for almost every sport".. You obviously are not from Florida Texas California or other football powerhouse states. Upper 10% running 4.8's WTF. Some of our fastest lineman run 5.0 or high 4's. Our running backs 4.5's or lower. Hell our QB runs 4.5. Our kicker got clocked at 4.91. **** im 270 and run a 5.1.

im sure

GoofyGoober
04-02-2010, 12:28 PM
i dont see how anyone can say a high school kids 40 time is BS. Its HAND TIMED which means its more likely the coach is shorthanding than the kid is BSing

Mickdamill
04-02-2010, 01:16 PM
To drop your time in the 40 the best route to take would be working on your start. If you've never ran track or used blocks before, be sure you are using your correct lead foot at the start. Basically make sure your power leg is in front and go from a 3 point stance. Personally I lean forward at the start of my run, although I know that some people have a problem with their balance using this method.

If I were you I'd focus on excercises that work with your explosiveness, as a few guys mentioned before plyometrics is great. Another great workout would be this... Go about 60% of your squat max, six reps per set. going down quickly, pausing at the bottom for a second, and then exploding back to the top.

Also in my several years of running track some of the best advice i've received was to get a feel for the timing of the person shooting the starting gun. Step on the sideline and practice your starts to see how long it is taking the coach to pull the trigger from the time the runner lines up. This will help you get a good feel of when you need to take off. I'd practice 4-5x's before running in my heat.

NO.PAIN_NO.GAIN
04-02-2010, 03:17 PM
So your quarterbacks can run as fast as NFL players now? I see.... Dude get real, if that were true, then your whole team would get recruited by D1. And actually, yes, my school is a football powerhouse.

Our QB runs as fast as NFL players... So now you know everything about my team right? Like our QB has no size to him and is about 5'8 or 5'9.. You know all of our stats and that our team is undersized and not talented enough to go D1? We have about 5 possible D1 players on our team. Dude get real, the #1 thing recruiters look for is size and knowledge. You can't coach size.

edit-
Our QB weighs like 160 lbs. He benchs like 240 and squats about 350ish(maybe higher)

ANIMAL1990
04-10-2010, 02:34 PM
If it makes you feel any better I run a 5.4 too

The_Terrorist
04-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Our QB runs as fast as NFL players... So now you know everything about my team right? Like our QB has no size to him and is about 5'8 or 5'9.. You know all of our stats and that our team is undersized and not talented enough to go D1? We have about 5 possible D1 players on our team. Dude get real, the #1 thing recruiters look for is size and knowledge. You can't coach size.

edit-
Our QB weighs like 160 lbs. He benchs like 240 and squats about 350ish(maybe higher)

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious. Are you trying to say that your varsity QB is weak or strong? I seriously don't know what you're trying to say....

NO.PAIN_NO.GAIN
04-11-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious. Are you trying to say that your varsity QB is weak or strong? I seriously don't know what you're trying to say....

I was giving you his stats and letting you be the judge. He's short and he cant throw. Thats why we are an option team.

osu5312
04-11-2010, 10:14 AM
The 40 time means nothing on the field unless you're chasing someone down. What matters more is being able to get from and awkward position (unbalanced) into a full blown sprint as fast as you can.

My .02.

TheHitStick
04-11-2010, 10:27 AM
The 40 time means nothing on the field unless you're chasing someone down. What matters more is being able to get from and awkward position (unbalanced) into a full blown sprint as fast as you can.

My .02.

Yup, 40 yard dash is only useful for the combine, nothing else. You'll never be in that perfect sprinting position on the football field and you'll never run in a perfect straight line like that unless you're route running, ect.

But then again, you won't be in that position so it has no field transfer.