PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Shin Splints

LetsGoHeavy
03-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi all,

I am not a newbie to cardio and am use to jogging 3 to 4 miles a day in the morning, however recently I have been getting terrible shin splint pain, I never had it this sore before even when i first started out jogging.

I'm thinking that it could be some sort of water retention because I recently went on a pro hormone ( http://monstersupplements.com/store/p/3990/1/Anabolic-Designs-Mass-Plex-60-Capsules.html ) for 5 weeks and cut out cardio to bulk up.

It seems to have happened since I came off this course and went back into cardio, although its been near 2 weeks since i finished the pro hormone tablets could i still be holding excess water and this is what is coursing such bad shin splints?

It's quite demoralizing because now I'm trying to cut for the summer but cant even manage any decent length of cardio because of this shin pain - argh

Has anyone else has similiar experience or could recommend a possible reason or just shed any light on this at all for me? Even when I first started running everyday to lose weight ( I was like 19 stonne) i didn't get shin splints this bad :(

carl.c
03-21-2010, 04:05 PM
what post cycle therapy did you use to get your system back in balance?

LetsGoHeavy
03-21-2010, 04:34 PM
what post cycle therapy did you use to get your system back in balance?

http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/Shopping/pdblackchinalabs-superdexxtremepct.asp

(im still on them)

carl.c
03-21-2010, 05:01 PM
DOn't see anyhting on how much weight you gained but it could be putting stress on your legs. Try ice for awhile it should go away soon. The reason you did'nt ge them when you where out of shape is you where out of shape. Now you are in shape and you can do more work now.

whappend12
03-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi all,

I am not a newbie to cardio and am use to jogging 3 to 4 miles a day in the morning, however recently I have been getting terrible shin splint pain, I never had it this sore before even when i first started out jogging.

I'm thinking that it could be some sort of water retention because I recently went on a pro hormone ) for 5 weeks and cut out cardio to bulk up.

It seems to have happened since I came off this course and went back into cardio, although its been near 2 weeks since i finished the pro hormone tablets could i still be holding excess water and this is what is coursing such bad shin splints?

It's quite demoralizing because now I'm trying to cut for the summer but cant even manage any decent length of cardio because of this shin pain - argh

Has anyone else has similiar experience or could recommend a possible reason or just shed any light on this at all for me? Even when I first started running everyday to lose weight ( I was like 19 stonne) i didn't get shin splints this bad :(

I use to have shin splints back in MMA but that was from brutally whacking my buddies in with my roundhouse kicks... but Id recommend a doctor and ice. btw what your taking isent that steroiods?

ESCAPEVELOCITY
03-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Something went amiss somewheres. That being said, try different cardio for the next while. Do soccer drills, HIIT, hills. Just change up what you are doing and temporarily dial down the volume.

Cheers!

elzachary
03-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Howd that pro-hormone work out for you?

essential222
03-22-2010, 11:22 PM
I had them brutally bad last year, rugby training and conditioning killed them,

I couldnt take the time off so just took ****load of pain killers pre game and went to town, Ice massage works well too,

From my experience, your basically ****ed until the offseason or a period where you can do nothing.

101pro
03-23-2010, 10:34 AM
We just had that question posted on my forum. A member (jrussell) posted the following information here: http://evolutionaryathletics.com/blo...estling-shoes/

"Shins splints is a very vague diagnosis, so first it's best to explain where your pain is. Is the pain on the posterior/medial aspect of the shin just above the ankle bone on the inside, or on the anterior or front part of the shin? "shin splints" can be at both places so it is important to distinguish the two.

If you are having posterior shin splints overpronation could be the cause. Alex is correct in thinking that the tibialis posterior is being excessively stretched during pronation. If that is the case, look at ankle rocker ROM first, then look at intrinsic foot strength. Basically is the foot flattening for a lack of ankle ROM of is it flattening because of eccentric weakness in the posterior tibialis or foot intrinsics.

If you are having anterior shin splints look at big toe dorsiflexion (bringing the big toe up toward the shin). If you do not have at least 45* of dorsiflexion you might be straining the EHL . Pull your big toe up toward your shin keeping the ball of your foot down. Try to push the tip of your big toe down and resist. If you cannot hold the tip of the toe up and keep your foot flat that could be your answer. Anterior shin splints also happen from excessive stride while sprinting which puts extra stress on the tib anterior. Putting the muscle at a mechanical disadvantage.

Both problems often happen from inhibition of weakness in the same side gmax. If your glutes do not initiate hip extension, your hamstrings will causing you to load your forefoot longer than needed. This puts extra stress on both posterior and anterior, and EVERYBODY has weakness or lack of endurance in their glutes.

Hope some of this helps. If you need advice on exercises let me know. Alex has some good video, and I can get you some as well."

As far as the video goes check out the main page at:

http://evolutionaryathletics.com

And read the following 2 articles:
1. Improving foot function for sports performance
2. Foot function and sports performance part 2 - ankle rocker

These make up the first 2 phases in the foot training progression we use with our athletes (11 NFL players and 5 olympic medalists)

stnicka
03-23-2010, 09:01 PM
toe-curls 3x12

Mr.Fab
03-28-2010, 05:40 PM
We just had that question posted on my forum. A member (jrussell) posted the following information here: http://evolutionaryathletics.com/blo...estling-shoes/

"Shins splints is a very vague diagnosis, so first it's best to explain where your pain is. Is the pain on the posterior/medial aspect of the shin just above the ankle bone on the inside, or on the anterior or front part of the shin? "shin splints" can be at both places so it is important to distinguish the two.

If you are having posterior shin splints overpronation could be the cause. Alex is correct in thinking that the tibialis posterior is being excessively stretched during pronation. If that is the case, look at ankle rocker ROM first, then look at intrinsic foot strength. Basically is the foot flattening for a lack of ankle ROM of is it flattening because of eccentric weakness in the posterior tibialis or foot intrinsics.

If you are having anterior shin splints look at big toe dorsiflexion (bringing the big toe up toward the shin). If you do not have at least 45* of dorsiflexion you might be straining the EHL . Pull your big toe up toward your shin keeping the ball of your foot down. Try to push the tip of your big toe down and resist. If you cannot hold the tip of the toe up and keep your foot flat that could be your answer. Anterior shin splints also happen from excessive stride while sprinting which puts extra stress on the tib anterior. Putting the muscle at a mechanical disadvantage.

Both problems often happen from inhibition of weakness in the same side gmax. If your glutes do not initiate hip extension, your hamstrings will causing you to load your forefoot longer than needed. This puts extra stress on both posterior and anterior, and EVERYBODY has weakness or lack of endurance in their glutes.

Hope some of this helps. If you need advice on exercises let me know. Alex has some good video, and I can get you some as well."

As far as the video goes check out the main page at:

http://evolutionaryathletics.com

And read the following 2 articles:
1. Improving foot function for sports performance
2. Foot function and sports performance part 2 - ankle rocker

These make up the first 2 phases in the foot training progression we use with our athletes (11 NFL players and 5 olympic medalists)

And what does this mean in English?

TrojanRunner
03-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Be sure your shoes have the adequate support. Also, with a shoe on, pull up with your toes and foot like your tryin to loft a dumbbell or stick your ties under a couch and pull up.

Ice massage with frozen saltwater.

elephino
03-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Every time I had shin splints, I needed new shoes. I find that I can't go more than 500 miles on a pair without my shins starting to hurt.

Other than that, rest, ice, and toe curls help. Just take a little while off, then ease back into it. Try not to run downhill or decelerate too much, it seems to aggravate it for me for some reason.

60_Days
03-30-2010, 04:08 PM
And what does this mean in English?

Do toe raises for high reps (pull the top of your foot toward your shin).

Google a DARD, a little piece of equipment that strengthens your shins but you can do the same thing with a gym pulley system and some ankle wraps.

Many times shin splints are caused because your calves are really strong and your anterior tibialis (the muscle on the outside of your shin) is weak, the imbalance of strength puts a lot of stress on the shin.

jdelarod
03-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Guys that do cycles get shin problems when they come off.

Mr.Fab
03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Do toe raises for high reps (pull the top of your foot toward your shin).

Google a DARD, a little piece of equipment that strengthens your shins but you can do the same thing with a gym pulley system and some ankle wraps.

Many times shin splints are caused because your calves are really strong and your anterior tibialis (the muscle on the outside of your shin) is weak, the imbalance of strength puts a lot of stress on the shin.

Yeah that makes sense. My calves are pretty strong, but never trained the tibialis.

My shin splints are only affecting my right shin now, on the inside. It starts a little above my ankle and continues along my shin bone to a little above the midway point of my shin. Only affects me after my run though.

I've been massaging it a lot, and stretching as much as I can.

TrojanRunner
03-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah that makes sense. My calves are pretty strong, but never trained the tibialis.

My shin splints are only affecting my right shin now, on the inside. It starts a little above my ankle and continues along my shin bone to a little above the midway point of my shin. Only affects me after my run though.

I've been massaging it a lot, and stretching as much as I can.

Just so you know, typically if it's just one legs then it's not the shoes

Mr.Fab
03-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Just so you know, typically if it's just one legs then it's not the shoes

Where do you suggest I go to get my running form checked out at? I've been trying to think of a place but have no idea where to go.

101pro
03-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Where do you suggest I go to get my running form checked out at? I've been trying to think of a place but have no idea where to go.

Get someone to video you from the side, front, and back. Upload the video to youtube and post the link here or on my forum at http://evolutionaryathletics.com/blogs/forum and I'll get some coaches to provide analysis for you.

Alex

Mr.Fab
03-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Get someone to video you from the side, front, and back. Upload the video to youtube and post the link here or on my forum at http://evolutionaryathletics.com/blogs/forum and I'll get some coaches to provide analysis for you.

Alex

I appreciate it. It will definitely be awhile before I can get that set up. Have to arrange for a friend to come up tape me jog. Definitely appreciate all help though!

I do notice though that occasionally when I run, my right foot when it kicks back up will strike my left calf. I'm sure that's some over-pronation problem and that I need to keep my toes pointed forward. Never happens with my left leg.

Also the soles of my shoes are particularly worn on the back inside of my heel.

TrojanRunner
04-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I appreciate it. It will definitely be awhile before I can get that set up. Have to arrange for a friend to come up tape me jog. Definitely appreciate all help though!

I do notice though that occasionally when I run, my right foot when it kicks back up will strike my left calf. I'm sure that's some over-pronation problem and that I need to keep my toes pointed forward. Never happens with my left leg.

Also the soles of my shoes are particularly worn on the back inside of my heel.

Not necessarily... on occasion my foot would do that my sophomore and junior year of high school.

I googled Scottsdale Running Company, I'd check it out? If they are a sufficient store they will analyze your gait and let you know what you need. It's really quite simple so dont let them make themselves out to be scientists lol. Most people over pronate though.

65daysofstatic
04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I've fought them for years. Always kick my ass when rugby starts up.
Aside from getting orthotics made (which I got fitted for yesterday) all you can do is ice, wrap, stretch and strengthen them in the offseason.

austin06
04-05-2010, 06:33 PM
I get anterior shin splints all the time when i play basketball. they absolutely kill. there are a bunch of videos online showing you how to properly tape them. other than that.....try to relax them as much as possible and ice them if theyre really bad.

Fabs23
04-05-2010, 06:35 PM
toe-curls 3x12

This works ^^ I like sets of 25 though

Duke_T
04-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Be sure your shoes have the adequate support. Also, with a shoe on, pull up with your toes and foot like your tryin to loft a dumbbell or stick your ties under a couch and pull up.

Ice massage with frozen saltwater.

^^ This.
Also, try running on trails/grass if possible. It puts less stress on your legs. Also, sit on a chair and roll your ankles before you run. It will help to loosen them up.

MikeyLightning
04-06-2010, 01:49 PM
I get something so similar to shin splints. I know how you feel.

Mr.Fab
04-06-2010, 07:38 PM
I think I may know what the cause of my shin splints may be. I just got back from a run, and my calves/soleus are extremely tight. I've been trying to stretch them out everyday but apparently I need to do it more. I stretch after running.

Also I notice that on the sides of my leg slighly above my ankle, there are "pockets" that are swollen that feel like they fill of fluid wtf?