PDA

View Full Version : For youth (12-13 year old)

DuaneGallant
03-20-2010, 04:27 AM
I have a 12 year old (soon to be 13 this summer), who is involved in hockey. I am do alot of weight training myself, as his father (38 years old and very active in running as well). What kind of strength training programs could a child of that age get into. Any suggestions?

His season is over now with hockey, and wondering if there is anything he could do in the offseason.

He is a growing boy, fussy eater, and is around 90lbs.

He will be playing hockey with bigger boys next year.

Thanks

Duane Gallant

xxtwistedxx
03-20-2010, 06:33 AM
2 days a week. full body workouts. stick to dumbbell based exercises. typically i see kids that age have weak backs, low flexibility, and walk hunched over all the time so id start there. rep ranges usually 8-15 for 3 sets until he develops some understanding of lifting and how weight feels. med balls are also great for kids.

without actually assessing him its a little difficult but that should get you started.

PCFootball24
03-20-2010, 08:48 AM
2 days a week. full body workouts. stick to dumbbell based exercises. typically i see kids that age have weak backs, low flexibility, and walk hunched over all the time so id start there. rep ranges usually 8-15 for 3 sets until he develops some understanding of lifting and how weight feels. med balls are also great for kids.

without actually assessing him its a little difficult but that should get you started.

This. Make sure he does pullups and other bodyweight exercises too.

DuaneGallant
03-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Thank you for your responses, and your e-mails!

I have one last question. I use "Six Star Muscle Whey Protein" powder with my own diet. I eat plenty of protein and carbs as well. It is a cheqer powder, as it is available in Walmart.

Would it be alright to use this supplement for my son's smoothie/shake?

Duane

_Coach_
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Actually, I wouldn't. It contains creatine and a bunch of amino acids that are really unnecessary for him right now. I'm a big creatine fan, but just not at that age. His protein and calories should be coming from Food, ESPECIALLY at that age, but if you feel it's a must, then get a pure whey protein powder...no creatine, bcaa's, none of that.

whappend12
03-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I have a 12 year old (soon to be 13 this summer), who is involved in hockey. I am do alot of weight training myself, as his father (38 years old and very active in running as well). What kind of strength training programs could a child of that age get into. Any suggestions?

His season is over now with hockey, and wondering if there is anything he could do in the offseason.

He is a growing boy, fussy eater, and is around 90lbs.

He will be playing hockey with bigger boys next year.

Thanks

Duane Gallant

Make sure he hits puberty FIRST. if not then bad things will happen

xxtwistedxx
03-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Make sure he hits puberty FIRST. if not then bad things will happen

this....

....is old news. kids can workout when theyre born. just a matter of age appropriate exercises.

lastly creatine at that age isnt really necessary. im a proponent of supplements just at the right time. a well structured diet and rest will be the best supplement he needs. amino acid supplementation wont hurt him however, neither will protein shakes or other sources of RTD meals. but its much better (and cheaper) to just eat right.

whappend12
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
this....

....is old news. kids can workout when theyre born. just a matter of age appropriate exercises.

lastly creatine at that age isnt really necessary. im a proponent of supplements just at the right time. a well structured diet and rest will be the best supplement he needs. amino acid supplementation wont hurt him however, neither will protein shakes or other sources of RTD meals. but its much better (and cheaper) to just eat right.

what do you mean its old news?????
My best friend Chris started working out at the age of 13 benching and such hes my runningback sure hes made varsity and can truck a 260 pound kid thru a wall... but now he walks like hes arms are stiff and stuck to his side, hes 5'5 and weights 210... hes fit but benching at such a early age paid his tool.

I would just stick to body resisitance training... push ups,pull ups, BUT NO WEIGHTS!

KiloNewton
03-22-2010, 05:48 PM
I strongly recommed variety. Teach him a new exercise every day.

PCFootball24
03-22-2010, 07:35 PM
I strongly recommed variety. Teach him a new exercise every day.

A new exercise a day is too much. He will never get the form down that way.

RMHSLB
03-22-2010, 07:44 PM
put him on mark rippletoes starting strength. i would seriously disregard anything that was said above and try a structured program based around the big 3

xxtwistedxx
03-22-2010, 07:46 PM
what do you mean its old news?????
My best friend Chris started working out at the age of 13 benching and such hes my runningback sure hes made varsity and can truck a 260 pound kid thru a wall... but now he walks like hes arms are stiff and stuck to his side, hes 5'5 and weights 210... hes fit but benching at such a early age paid his tool.

I would just stick to body resisitance training... push ups,pull ups, BUT NO WEIGHTS!

walkin like a stiff doesnt mean hes hurt or having problems... it means he walks like a stiff. not to mention there are several dozen other factors that are not covered here. regardless the idea that kids shouldnt lift at all until a certain age is a dated idea. like deep squats and believe it or not actually lifting period (1920's).

anyways to help with your argument Ive trained an entire football team in jr high (12-14 yr olds) and they not only got much much stronger but also did extremely well in highschool.

plus did it occur that a kid weighing 210 at 5'5" is going to look extremely thick? that is a heavy 5'5 person.

KiloNewton
03-22-2010, 08:50 PM
A new exercise a day is too much. He will never get the form down that way.
I disagree.

stnicka
03-23-2010, 08:59 PM
have him work on form on weightlifting and body weight exercises and stretching