PDA

View Full Version : Difference between losing fat and weight? Calories?

pinoykcin
03-14-2010, 01:53 AM
I obviously know what the difference is by fat/weight, but I mean, if I want to gain weight, but lose fat, should I still have a deficit?

For example. Im 200lbs, I want to gain to 210lbs, but i want to lose the body fat. This is not deficit correct? And also, getting to 210lbs, with minimal body fat gain, and optimum body fat loss, is based on diet correct?

Sorry if this is kinda a stupid question....Thanks for input!

Maddrox
03-14-2010, 03:05 AM
I obviously know what the difference is by fat/weight, but I mean, if I want to gain weight, but lose fat, should I still have a deficit?

For example. Im 200lbs, I want to gain to 210lbs, but i want to lose the body fat. This is not deficit correct? And also, getting to 210lbs, with minimal body fat gain, and optimum body fat loss, is based on diet correct?

Thanks for input!

This is from my current understanding and i'm sure i've got a lot to learn still..

I believe your best bet in this situation would be to have a small deficit in the calories, and make sure you get all the nutrients you need, especially the protein. Do short rep, heaaaavy weight lifting and work yourself to the limit to keep building up muscle while slowly dropping bf with the deficit. The larger the deficit, the harder it will be to increase your muscle.

It is based mainly on the diet, but if you don't work your muscles to your max especially on a deficit you won't be able to achieve the results your looking for.

justasquid
03-14-2010, 03:18 AM
In all honesty, and just my opinion, if your profile pic is current, I wouldn't worry about loosing fat. You need to build more muscle than loose fat at your current stage. You have the right approach and want to gain lean mass, but cutting fat really shouldn't be your biggest concern. I would suggest eating above maintainance. How much would depend on how fast you gain fat. I would start somewhere around 300 calories above and do that for a few weeks and evaluate your results. then decide if you need more or less calories. The more muscle you build, the leaner you will appear, even if you don't loose any fat. You have a fairly skinny frame and every lb of muscle you put on will look like much more.

""" And also, getting to 210lbs, with minimal body fat gain, and optimum body fat loss, is based on diet correct?"""
To a point, you are correct. But it also depends on the amount of calories you burn in your day and also, you to do enough work to warrant the building of muscle. If those two things are not spot on as well, you will not get the gains you want.

pinoykcin
03-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks for responses, I'm just not sure if I should gain my weight back up again, bu I also want to have low body fat, as well as having muscular mass

pinoykcin
03-14-2010, 10:29 AM
In all honesty, and just my opinion, if your profile pic is current, I wouldn't worry about loosing fat. You need to build more muscle than loose fat at your current stage. You have the right approach and want to gain lean mass, but cutting fat really shouldn't be your biggest concern. I would suggest eating above maintainance. How much would depend on how fast you gain fat. I would start somewhere around 300 calories above and do that for a few weeks and evaluate your results. then decide if you need more or less calories. The more muscle you build, the leaner you will appear, even if you don't loose any fat. You have a fairly skinny frame and every lb of muscle you put on will look like much more.

""" And also, getting to 210lbs, with minimal body fat gain, and optimum body fat loss, is based on diet correct?"""
To a point, you are correct. But it also depends on the amount of calories you burn in your day and also, you to do enough work to warrant the building of muscle. If those two things are not spot on as well, you will not get the gains you want.

What exactly do you mean by this? Sorry, I didn't quite understand haha.

icall
03-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Calorie cycling may be able to accomplish this. Alan Aragon calls this culking. The concept is to have a calorie surplus on training days and less on non-training
days.

I'm experimenting with it now over the next 11 weeks. I'm keeping a log in the fat loss forum. Feel free to follow along or simply check it in 11 weeks

TheCorporation
03-14-2010, 10:47 AM
What exactly do you mean by this? Sorry, I didn't quite understand haha.

He is saying, and I too agree, that you should be focusing on putting on mass and not worrying about your body fat. Basically go for a bulk and not worry about body fat right now since when bulking your body fat will go up.

You don't have a lot of muscle to cut right now so put more muscle on and THEN cut it up and see what you've done. :)

pinoykcin
03-14-2010, 10:54 AM
He is saying, and I too agree, that you should be focusing on putting on mass and not worrying about your body fat. Basically go for a bulk and not worry about body fat right now since when bulking your body fat will go up.

You don't have a lot of muscle to cut right now so put more muscle on and THEN cut it up and see what you've done. :)

Is it possible to NOT put on fat while on a bulk? Like eat healthy, but healthy calories? For example, if I were to eat 1000calories of pure vegies, and then another 2000 in protein, everyday meals (sandwhich w/ turkey, chicken, salad, egg whites etc etc.. ), basically rreally healthy and lean. 3000 calories would make me gain weight, I usually am at around 1500 calories the past month-ish.

pinoykcin
03-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Sorry about my stupidity, but, in order for me to get "bigger", and achieve more muscle growth, I'd have to gain more weight correct?

sleet83
03-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Sorry about my stupidity, but, in order for me to get "bigger", and achieve more muscle growth, I'd have to gain more weight correct?

Yes. Eat 500 calories or more above your maintenance and lift at least 3 days a week. If you don't see a change in weight in 2-3 weeks, start eating more.

pinoykcin
03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Yes. Eat 500 calories or more above your maintenance and lift at least 3 days a week. If you don't see a change in weight in 2-3 weeks, start eating more.

Alright, I lift 7 days a week. and a few times cardio, maybe 2-3 times a week.

Change in what? Weight? or do you mean muscularity?