PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Realignment

sabonis224
03-10-2010, 03:53 PM
What do yo guys think about it? It is something I've thought of before to enhance the competition and baseball, and I could not believe it when I heard it mentioned as something they are actually discussing about in a focus group of some-sorts. I am not a baseball purest in the slightest, so I love the idea, would be great to mix things up IMO.

GetBigyo
03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Heard it on The Michael Kay Show today

Do not like it one bit.

Aran
03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
what is the plan? which teams will be involved?

Messiahtype
03-10-2010, 03:55 PM
The current alignment is good IMO. However, the DH in the AL is ridiculous.

KingCanuck
03-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Please get the Jays out of the AL East.

Or at least move one of the Red Sox and Yankees out.

Aran
03-10-2010, 03:56 PM
The current alignment is good IMO. However, the DH in the AL is ridiculous.

i disagree. the dh is a good thing.

Nodice123
03-10-2010, 04:01 PM

This. We would be playoff contenders if we weren't in the East

GetBigyo
03-10-2010, 04:06 PM

http://i39.tinypic.com/5vdbx1.jpg

STA1011
03-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Fix up the AL East/Central.

****s a joke when the 3rd place East team is 10x better than the Central winner.

Iremember reading an article some Baseball writer on ESPN cooked up about a East/Central mixup

PatrickBateman1
03-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Fix up the AL East/Central.

****s a joke when the 3rd place East team is 10x better than the Central winner.

Iremember reading an article some Baseball writer on ESPN cooked up about a East/Central mixup

Noooooo... leave the central the way it is! Maybe give us Baltimore but that's it.

(yes White Sox fan)

McRocks
03-10-2010, 04:17 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/buds-committee-considered-radical-realignment.html.php

Here is an article about it.

Cliffs
- Indians move to AL East to play more games against Yankees Red Sox to make more money

- Rays or Baltimore move to AL Central to be able to be competitive

PatrickBateman1
03-10-2010, 04:19 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/buds-committee-considered-radical-realignment.html.php

Here is an article about it.

Cliffs
- Indians move to AL East to play more games against Yankees Red Sox to make more money

- Rays or Baltimore move to AL Central to be able to be competitive

That doesn't solve the problem of the AL East being overly competitive though.

USAviator
03-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm totally for it, the way it is now is ridiculous for the AL East because of NY and BOS dominance over the past 2 decades

alarmist
03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
what are the details of the alignment?

edit: nm

lol that's retarded, basically it's only helping the rays or baltimore

The_Albatross
03-10-2010, 04:43 PM

yes, destroy the biggest rivalry in the game...great idea

NoS_oUtLaSt
03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
how about establish a salary cap then you won't have to worry about these competetive issues.

GiantMonkey
03-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I thought that was an example. MLB would move one team to another division for a few years so they could play games vs teams that would draw in more fans. This in turn would leave a "better" team to win a different division.

From what I got, a team like Arizona could join the Al East so they could get more money to spend on players while a team like TB could move to the NL west and win it.

Who is to say that the NYY and Bos just don't join different divisions?

I just like that MLB knows it has a problem.

Aran
03-10-2010, 04:52 PM
how about establish a salary cap then you won't have to worry about these competetive issues.

this x1000.

McRocks
03-10-2010, 04:53 PM
That doesn't solve the problem of the AL East being overly competitive though.

That is why it is a bad idea. It needs to be more detailed an involve more teams.

I thought that was an example. MLB would move one team to another division for a few years so they could play games vs teams that would draw in more fans. This in turn would leave a "better" team to win a different division.

From what I got, a team like Arizona could join the Al East so they could get more money to spend on players while a team like TB could move to the NL west and win it.

Would not work different time zones and a lot of travel. I mean home games from Arizona would start at 10 east coast time.

Greg1983
03-10-2010, 05:22 PM
This. We would be playoff contenders if we weren't in the East

Well not this year...

But quite a few years this decade for sure.

chlaxman
03-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Just drop divisions, they hold no purpose in baseball and little in football.

Nodice123
03-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Well not this year...

But quite a few years this decade for sure.

You kidding?? Wells may as well start measuring for his ring this year !

89FoxBody
03-10-2010, 05:53 PM

this x1000.

Good posts, considering the problem is teams like the Pirates and Marlins pocketing revenue sharing instead of spending it on their teams.

E-Go
03-10-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm kinda for it. The alignment is stupid as it is.

AL East/Central NL East/West - 5 teams
NL Central - 6 teams
AL West - 4 teams

How is Pittsburgh a central team?

Animal_Strength
03-10-2010, 05:58 PM
what are the details of the alignment?

edit: nm

lol that's retarded, basically it's only helping the rays or baltimore

not only that, how many more wins would any "big" team have if they were facing the indians, royals, pirates or padres rather than the rays or other on the verge teams.

yes, destroy the biggest rivalry in the game...great idea

this. that would just piss off a ton of fans.

you mean a payroll cap. salary caps would limit a specific players salary, not a teams.

and it would solve nothing. the yankees and the red sox etc. would then spend theyre money on international free agents, and then would just develop a super homegrown team.

Good posts, considering the problem is teams like the Pirates and Marlins pocketing revenue sharing instead of spending it on their teams.

454 million was given to smaller market teams last year from revenue sharing. greedy owners= ****ty teams.

user8489791000
03-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Nope, its great how it is.

kalmamd
03-10-2010, 06:03 PM

This, top 4 teams make the postseason in each league

STA1011
03-10-2010, 06:16 PM

Except for the fact that the Rays are in Tampa (East Coast), while the Diamondbacks are in Arizona (West Coast)

EDIT: Here's the one that I read awhile back
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove09/news/story?id=4869912

Lift__Til__Fail
03-10-2010, 06:22 PM

You'd have to re-do the entire scheduling format as well then

And im not sure how the divisions hold no purpose in baseball, but a little purpose in football? They're basically structured the same way so Im not sure how one can hold little purpose and one can hold none.

NL Central - 6 teams
AL West - 4 teams

It's aligned this way because they need an even number of teams in each league. If it was 5 teams across all leagues that would be 15 per league, meaning only 7 games from each league could go on each day, leaving 2 teams (1 in the AL and 1 in the NL) unable to play every series due to inability to match up.

That would lengthen the season drastically if they were to keep the same number of games.

E-Go
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
You'd have to re-do the entire scheduling format as well then

And im not sure how the divisions hold no purpose in baseball, but a little purpose in football? They're basically structured the same way so Im not sure how one can hold little purpose and one can hold none.

It's aligned this way because they need an even number of teams in each league. If it was 5 teams across all leagues that would be 15 per league, meaning only 7 games from each league could go on each day, leaving 2 teams (1 in the AL and 1 in the NL) unable to play every series due to inability to match up.

That would lengthen the season drastically if they were to keep the same number of games.

Ahh. I get it now to a certain extent. Still doesn't explain why Pittsburgh is in the NL Central and not NL East.

TexasHeat
03-10-2010, 07:16 PM
wish the rangers got out of the al west... 30 games a year starting at 9pm local time really phucking sucks.

NYY
03-10-2010, 08:26 PM

Agreed. People bitch and moan cause the Yanks actually spend money(Well within the rules) when meanwhile owners of teams like the Pirates take the money that the Yankees and other teams who make a certain amount of revenue cause they actually care for their fans and put it in their pockets while trading away any half decent player(s) at the trade deadline on a yearly basis.

The league needs a Salary Floor.

Mitch339
03-10-2010, 09:55 PM

The jays are still alive BECAUSE theyre in the AL East. Had the Expos been there, they would have never folded. Guaranteed!

ezra76
03-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I don't really see the whole point to what I heard of it. Sounded like it was more to help small market teams get more revenue than really have a better shot at making playoffs. From what I've seen, baseball is just not as popular in certain areas. It would cost me about a months pay to get Yanks/Sox tickets. I think other teams just want to cash in on that type of money and it's not going to happen just by playing more games against the Yankees.

KingCanuck
03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
The jays are still alive BECAUSE theyre in the AL East. Had the Expos been there, they would have never folded. Guaranteed!

What? Blue Jays get some of the best TV ratings in baseball.

Haters gonna hate.

sabonis224
03-11-2010, 09:42 AM
i like the idea of no divisions. just put in the best 4 teams in the league. i hate when a division is stacked and only 1-2 teams can get in.

also, another idea i heard on tv was that the divisions will be aligned based on statistics like team pay roll, record from the previous few seasons, etc. so its not like they would take the rays and blue jays and stick them somewhere else cause of the yanks and sox, it would be league wide.

thegenerel
03-11-2010, 09:54 AM

NL Central - 6 teams
AL West - 4 teams

because most sports teams are on the west coast. hell, columbus is in the west for hockey.

Agreed. People bitch and moan cause the Yanks actually spend money(Well within the rules) when meanwhile owners of teams like the Pirates take the money that the Yankees and other teams who make a certain amount of revenue cause they actually care for their fans and put it in their pockets while trading away any half decent player(s) at the trade deadline on a yearly basis.

The league needs a Salary Floor.

over the last two seasons, there was no point in the Pirates spending money because they wouldnt be able to field a decent team even if they increased payroll by 10M. now the owners (Nuttings) shouldnt be keeping the profit when the scouting/farm system needs a reboot.

fortunately they are now investing in the draft - Alvarez, paying over slot, (the Pirates are spending money in the draft)

the fact that the Pirates were keeping revenue sharing money has nothing to do with the cap. low revenue teams simply cannot compete with teams that have 4-5x the payroll

Animal_Strength
03-11-2010, 10:13 AM
over the last two seasons, there was no point in the Pirates spending money because they wouldnt be able to field a decent team even if they increased payroll by 10M. now the owners (Nuttings) shouldnt be keeping the profit when the scouting/farm system needs a reboot.

fortunately they are now investing in the draft - Alvarez, paying over slot, (the Pirates are spending money in the draft)

the fact that the Pirates were keeping revenue sharing money has nothing to do with the cap. low revenue teams simply cannot compete with teams that have 4-5x the payroll

i just dont how the rays got to the world series in 08 then or how last season the mets or cubs (the #2 and #3 teams in payroll) didnt make the playoffs.

payroll affects teams but doesnt dictate how well a team will necessarily do. the yankees didnt make the playoffs in 08 despite leading the league in payroll; and the sox didnt in 2006 despite being 2nd in payroll.

the rockies made it to the world series in 2007 despite being 28th in the league in payroll.

do i need to give more examples?

STA1011
03-11-2010, 10:22 AM
i just dont how the rays got to the world series in 08 then or how last season the mets or cubs (the #2 and #3 teams in payroll) didnt make the playoffs.

payroll affects teams but doesnt dictate how well a team will necessarily do. the yankees didnt make the playoffs in 08 despite leading the league in payroll; and the sox didnt in 2006 despite being 2nd in payroll.

the rockies made it to the world series in 2007 despite being 28th in the league in payroll.

A good example is the Marlins. They won 2 WS with one of the lowest payrolls, but then instead of upping the payroll to keep many of their best players they implode the team and trade everybody.

Hence why the fans rarely go to games. Their stadium sucks and the team is rarely the same.

Animal_Strength
03-11-2010, 10:43 AM
A good example is the Marlins. They won 2 WS with one of the lowest payrolls, but then instead of upping the payroll to keep many of their best players they implode the team and trade everybody.

Hence why the fans rarely go to games. Their stadium sucks and the team is rarely the same.

this .. thats what revenue sharing is for...

and well the pirates are doing it wrong if the marlins can do it and have 2 WS wins in the past 15 years and pirates have none.

The_Albatross
03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
What? Blue Jays get some of the best TV ratings in baseball.

Haters gonna hate.

thats what happens when your entire country has one ****ing team

sssick
03-11-2010, 11:02 AM

That, plus they play the Yankees and the Red Sox most of the time.

Uncontested
03-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Yep people wonder why nobody in south florida cares about the Marlins (aside from the disporportionate ammount of 'transplants' living here such as myself.) is because the owners just pocket any money they make and they keep a skeleton payroll.

NYY
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Exactly.

Lift__Til__Fail
03-11-2010, 12:30 PM

There's a pretty significant correlation between a teams payroll and making the playoffs though.

Once in the playoffs though you're right, it sort of becomes up for grabs. But that's because 6 or 7 of the 8 teams in the playoffs has a payroll of 85+ mil

So yeah, I agree payroll doesn't guarantee you championships, but it does significantly increase your chances of being in the playoffs each year.

alarmist
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM
i think there's a problem when one player is making more than an entire team.

*DH*
03-11-2010, 01:12 PM

Brah, just wondering, why was it such a big deal that I picked AZ of Chicago? JW