PDA

View Full Version : Sodium

TheStigIsBig
03-04-2010, 01:11 PM
How big of a role does sodium play when cutting? I am curious on what affect it can have on the results, because alot of times I eat something that is low carb, high protein but has alot of sodium in it. So is sodium a contra-goal achiever?

Stig

budershank
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
If you are simply trying to lose fat it won't have an affect on that. Sodium can make you retain water.

Eileen
03-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Unless you are hyper-tensive, it's a non-issue. A very high sodium food might cause you to retain a little water for a day or two, but it's water, not fat.

Sodium guidelines are based on possibly hypertensive couch potatoes. A healthy athlete who works hard and sweats a lot NEEDS way more sodium than the RDA.

By the way, the biggest sources of sodium in the average diet is bread, ceraals and ready meals. Even if you eat bacon or something occasionally, you are not going to come within an ass's roar of that. And keto (if that's what you are doing) tends to reduce blood pressure, so a bit of extra salt can be very helpful to stop you keeling over if you stand up suddenly.

Torance
03-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Unless you are hyper-tensive, it's a non-issue. A very high sodium food might cause you to retain a little water for a day or two, but it's water, not fat.

Sodium guidelines are based on possibly hypertensive couch potatoes. A healthy athlete who works hard and sweats a lot NEEDS way more sodium than the RDA.

By the way, the biggest sources of sodium in the average diet is bread, ceraals and ready meals. Even if you eat bacon or something occasionally, you are not going to come within an ass's roar of that. And keto (if that's what you are doing) tends to reduce blood pressure, so a bit of extra salt can be very helpful to stop you keeling over if you stand up suddenly.
+1

Also because it retains water it can dehydrate you, so make sure your drinking adequate water.

th3pwn3r
03-04-2010, 01:38 PM

I used to eat ridiculous amounts of lunch meat and beef jerky, both having 1,300mg of sodium per serving roughly. I would have a LOT of servings as these were my main protein sources for a while and main source of intake and I never had a big problem with water retention or even the scale staying the same. Not bashing or disagreeing with anything here, just adding it in on top of what was posted above by Eileen.

TheStigIsBig
03-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Ok thanks guys. I knew it made you "in theory" retain more water. This is good to know though, because I was always brought up from my dad saying if you can AVOID processed meats and eat real lean meat. Is there really any effect to that? Like instead of eating a frozen egg sandwhich, just make the eggs and eat the real deal.

Torance
03-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Ok thanks guys. I knew it made you "in theory" retain more water. This is good to know though, because I was always brought up from my dad saying if you can AVOID processed meats and eat real lean meat. Is there really any effect to that? Like instead of eating a frozen egg sandwhich, just make the eggs and eat the real deal.
lol of course there is, the real deal all the way. If you notice pretty much all natural/organic whole foods have no bad effects to your body, while as processed contain damaged fats, and so on so forth. Alot of crap in processed foods that your body does not recognize as food period, and will will either harm you, or be tossed in your fatty cells. Listen to your dad on this one.

Go compare someone that eats organic red meat with lots of fat, and someone that eats burgers all day and ask them if there is a difference. Pretty much the natural things that the earth gives to you as food are good to eat.

TheStigIsBig
03-04-2010, 04:33 PM
lol ofcourse there is, the real deal all the way. If you notice pretty much all natural/organic whole foods have no bad effects to your body, while as processed contain damaged fats, and so on so forth. Alot of crap in processed foods that your body does not recognize as food period, and will will either harm you, or be tossed in your fatty cells. Listen to your dad on this one.

That is what I thought, and that was a few years ago. I stopped right away and starting cooking my own damn eggs, and it tastes a thousand times better LOL.

Thanks for the advice guys. I drink a lot of water so I am glad to hear I don't have to be as scared of sodium as I was.

th3pwn3r
03-04-2010, 04:47 PM
That is what I thought, and that was a few years ago. I stopped right away and starting cooking my own damn eggs, and it tastes a thousand times better LOL.

Thanks for the advice guys. I drink a lot of water so I am glad to hear I don't have to be as scared of sodium as I was.

If you decide to get into contest prep then you should limit sodium a couple to a few days out from stage day.

TheStigIsBig
03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
If you decide to get into contest prep then you should limit sodium a couple to a few days out from stage day.

YEah that makes sense. Plus now thinking about it, I am taking a cut cylce product that helps reduce water retention, and I can feel it drying me up. That is why I drink so much water. So sodium probably ain't to bad right now LOL

Brad155
03-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I used to eat ridiculous amounts of lunch meat and beef jerky, both having 1,300mg of sodium per serving roughly. I would have a LOT of servings as these were my main protein sources for a while and main source of intake and I never had a big problem with water retention or even the scale staying the same. Not bashing or disagreeing with anything here, just adding it in on top of what was posted above by Eileen.

thats because sodium itself does not cause water weight gain, its changes in sodium levels that causes weight gain. basically, the body strives for Na+/H20 homeostasis, and so when you take in too much, it holds water to keep its sodium/water balance. but water will soon regulate on the higher sodium levels by making your sweat and urine extremely sodium dense. so really, increasing or decreasing sodium only affects water levels temporarily.

th3pwn3r
03-04-2010, 06:18 PM
thats because sodium itself does not cause water weight gain, its changes in sodium levels that causes weight gain. basically, the body strives for Na+/H20 homeostasis, and so when you take in too much, it holds water to keep its sodium/water balance. but water will soon regulate on the higher sodium levels by making your sweat and urine extremely sodium dense. so really, increasing or decreasing sodium only affects water levels temporarily.

Thanks for the info but I was never concerned about sodium intake :D

Eileen
03-05-2010, 01:02 AM
For what it's worth, I think the body will self-regulate when it can. When I'm going a lot of long distance cycles, so lots of sweat, I want to put salt on everything. Right now, I'm slightly injured, not cycling and find many of my favourite foods are too salty to be enjoyable.

th3pwn3r
03-05-2010, 03:45 AM
For what it's worth, I think the body will self-regulate when it can. When I'm going a lot of long distance cycles, so lots of sweat, I want to put salt on everything. Right now, I'm slightly injured, not cycling and find many of my favourite foods are too salty to be enjoyable.

This reminded me of when I used to do HOURS of crazy cardio. One day I was like "WTF is this white powder on my skin? Where did it come from? Well, turns out it was salt that was excreted from my body lol. Pretty strange because I was covered in the stuff haha.

Slow-N-Steady
03-05-2010, 04:56 AM
When my diet is moderately high in sodium I retain much more water. Still, I try not to worry too much because it is something that can be dealt with fairly easy; just lower intake, drink more water, and eat more bananas, etc.

glen666
03-05-2010, 05:02 AM

After loading it up for a few weeks before hand.. I'm glad you dropped that sandwich meat stuff if its like what we have in the uk its really junk food unless you pay a lot of money per slice.

glen666
03-05-2010, 05:06 AM
On subject if I maintain a very low sodium diet then have a large amount I will hold a fair chunk of weight up to 3-4lbs then back on the low sodium this would drop off within 3-4days. Your body is a survival machine and not a low water low body fat one for most cases unfortunately.

Eileen
03-05-2010, 08:06 AM
This reminded me of when I used to do HOURS of crazy cardio. One day I was like "WTF is this white powder on my skin? Where did it come from? Well, turns out it was salt that was excreted from my body lol. Pretty strange because I was covered in the stuff haha.

My bike shop made some comment about how hard I cycle. Since I keep my bike in good repair, I asked how they could tell. The owner pointed at a mirror and said "The salt crystals are caked on your face. That's hard cycling."

rolla20z
03-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Please correct me if i am wrong and i might be but i read somewhere the reccomended sodium intake is 2500 mg to 3000 mg and this is a regulated level to keep water down