PDA

View Full Version : Weird work schedule,is my workout program good?

bodine1231
03-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi,I work about 74hrs a week pulling 3 double (16hr) shifts Mon,Tue Wed and regular 10hr shifts Thursday and Friday. I'm just wondering what the optimal routine would be seeing as I only have time to work out 4 days. Here's what I've been doing so far

Mon morning - cardio
Tue - none
Wed - none
Thurs - none
Fri morning - cardio
Fri evening - weights (shoulders/bi/chest)
Sat morning - cardio
Sun morning - cardio
Sun evening weights (back/tri/abs)

On the three 'none' days is when I pull double shifts. By the time I get home afterwards and shower/cook its time for bed which is about 4hrs sleep. I'm really motivated to lift and lose this fat its just hard to fit both cardio and lifting when half the week is dedicated to work. Just looking for advice as to a workout schedule around work.

thanks

Revolutionize
03-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi,I work about 74hrs a week pulling 3 double (16hr) shifts Mon,Tue Wed and regular 10hr shifts Thursday and Friday. I'm just wondering what the optimal routine would be seeing as I only have time to work out 4 days. Here's what I've been doing so far

Mon morning - cardio
Tue - none
Wed - none
Thurs - none
Fri morning - cardio
Fri evening - weights (shoulders/bi/chest)
Sat morning - cardio
Sun morning - cardio
Sun evening weights (back/tri/abs)

On the three 'none' days is when I pull double shifts. By the time I get home afterwards and shower/cook its time for bed which is about 4hrs sleep. I'm really motivated to lift and lose this fat its just hard to fit both cardio and lifting when half the week is dedicated to work. Just looking for advice as to a workout schedule around work.

thanks

You really need to work your legs. I would take out one cardio sesson and add a weight lifting session and switch to 3 full body workouts per week (You could also do upper/lower split with upper being hit twice the first week and lower being hit twice the second, then repeat). You want one day of rest between lifting sessions. Someting like this:

Workout 1:
Squats x5
Bench Press x3
Rows x3
Military Press x3
Calf Raises x3
DB Curls x2
Pushdowns x2
Crunches x3

Workout 2:
Deads x5
Incline DB Press x3
Pull ups x3
Standing DB press x3
BB Curls x2
Dips x2
DB side bends x3

Workout 3:
Leg Presses x3
SLDLs x3
DB Bench press x3
Lat Pulldowns x3
Arnold Presses x3
EZ bar curls x2
Skull crunchers x2
Woodchoppers x3
Calf raises 1 set to failure

bodine1231
03-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Well the only reason I haven't worked legs is because that would sacrifice a cardio day and I'm already only getting 3 or 4,would weight training legs be more beneficial?

AdamRingshall
03-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Thats pretty good advice from Revolutionize!

4 days per week is more than adequate to get good/great results.

An additional day of resistance training would pay off dividends if structured properly and hit with enough intensity.

Remember that cardio burns calories and fat while you do it and for a short period of time afterwards but resistance training, when done correctly, sets your body up to burn more calories and fat 24 hours a day.

Muscle burns calories and fat so build as much of it as you can and get your diet right and that fat will melt away with ease!

Hope that helps

Adam
Get a Free video course on fat loss and boosting metabolism at www.BodyByAdam.co.uk

bodine1231
03-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Thats pretty good advice from Revolutionize!

4 days per week is more than adequate to get good/great results.

An additional day of resistance training would pay off dividends if structured properly and hit with enough intensity.

Remember that cardio burns calories and fat while you do it and for a short period of time afterwards but resistance training, when done correctly, sets your body up to burn more calories and fat 24 hours a day.

Muscle burns calories and fat so build as much of it as you can and get your diet right and that fat will melt away with ease!

Hope that helps

Adam
Get a Free video course on fat loss and boosting metabolism at www.BodyByAdam.co.uk

So I should skip the cardio alltogether given my schedule and focus on weight training?