PDA

View Full Version : Maltodextrin and Waxy Maize?

trontheman
02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
What do you guys think about doing a mixture of maltodextrin and waxy maize post-workout? Or would you do dextrose and waxy maize? I've seen decent results from WM alone, but i thought id ask you guys what you thought of combining the two? They would be mixed with my isloate, creatine, and eaa's as my post-workout shake. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

shadar
02-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Waxy is junk, not worth paying for at all. I'd just use malto/dextrose.

trontheman
02-28-2010, 07:38 AM
What makes WM a junk product? What makes malto/dextrose better? Thanks.

in10city
02-28-2010, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't say junk since it is a carb, but the claims that come with some WMS products with regard to its insulinogenic effect and digestion rate are outlandish. I wouldn't pay money for it. The need for fast carbs and insulin spikes post workout are often context specific and exaggerated to say the least. Nothing terribly wrong with it in many instances either.

xStevenx
02-28-2010, 08:10 AM

Waxy is not junk. It is just another carb source as malto or dex is. But I feel it is easier on the stomach. It depends on your body I guess.

ken361
02-28-2010, 08:22 AM
people just fuc.....ing raved about waxi not too long ago funny how things change around here.

Colden
02-28-2010, 08:29 AM
I would just go with the Dextrose and Maltodextrin. I've had and seen very good results with that combo. I'm not going to say Waxy is bad but I do think it may be a bit overrated, and anything overrated is always too expensive.
But it is a carb and if you like it, probably wouldn't hurt. But go with Dex as second.

trontheman
02-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I do like WMS and i've never had any digestive problems from it or anything like that. It is more expensive than malto or dextrose, but not terribly more. If i continue to use it, would it be a waste to go 50/50 with either malto or dextrose? Thanks.

TMac26
02-28-2010, 09:11 AM
I do like WMS and i've never had any digestive problems from it or anything like that. It is more expensive than malto or dextrose, but not terribly more. If i continue to use it, would it be a waste to go 50/50 with either malto or dextrose? Thanks.

It wouldn't be a waste. If you have it, just use it, but studies have shown its no better than white bread as a carb supplement.

Money Shot
03-02-2010, 08:34 AM
LG Sciences makes a really really cheap product called Perfect Carb, which is a blend of WM, malto, and dextrose. each scoop is 30g of carbs and 120 cals

trontheman
03-09-2010, 05:39 PM
What do you guys think of using oats as a pwo carb source? Thanks.

TMac26
03-09-2010, 05:40 PM
What do you guys think of using oats as a pwo carb source? Thanks.

Cheap and effective.

cornfedtufts
03-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Cheap and effective.

There is no significant difference in Regular Quaker Oats and the Quick-Cooking Quaker Oats, right?

I am not reffering to the single serving packets that come in flavors like Maple and BS, and Peaches and Creme.

Just the round containers. Regular (red label) and Quick-Cooking (blue label).

I think i read somewhere that the only difference is the quick-cooking are rolled flatter so they absorb water quicker and can cook faster.

Also, would i need to cook the quick-cooking oats? or simply dump a scoop into my PWO shake? I am tired of mixing waxy maize and it getting all over the damn place like i had a coke-party last night.

Thanks!

TMac26
03-09-2010, 09:15 PM
There is on significant difference in Regular Quaker Oats and the Quick-Cooking Quaker Oats, right?

I am not reffering to the single serving packets that come in flavors like Maple and BS, and Peaches and Creme.

Just the round containers. Regular (red label) and Quick-Cooking (blue label).

I think i read somewhere that the only difference is the quick-cooking are rolled flatter so they absorb water quicker and can cook faster.

Also, would i need to cook the quick-cooking oats? or simply dump a scoop into my PWO shake? I am tired of mixing waxy maize and it getting all over the damn place like i had a coke-party last night.

Thanks!

Honestly I just buy the quick cooking oats, or whatever my wife brings home from the grocery store. (always a big tall can)

I use a food processor to grind up about 1 cup at a time, turns it to a nice mixable powder.

cornfedtufts
03-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Honestly I just buy the quick cooking oats, or whatever my wife brings home from the grocery store. (always a big tall can)

I use a food processor to grind up about 1 cup at a time, turns it to a nice mixable powder.

i've got a hamilton beach $20 hand blender that can liquefy ice. I think i'll just dump the oats in my PWO and then run that thing into it. (no pun intended) :cool:

even if it is a little chunky, im not picky, and really dont care about texture.
thanks for the info again Tmac. rep'd

damnit, looks like i've got some premature e-rep-ulation problems. lmao!

-NastyNate-
03-09-2010, 09:45 PM
malto for sure!

waxy maize is junk

legalgear
03-10-2010, 03:23 AM
Maltodextrin is crap if you ask me, I think waxy maize and dextrose are better