PDA

View Full Version : Can I lose fat, while not getting that much sleep?

brettdavis4
01-26-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm exercising pretty good. I'm lifting 2 days a week and doing cardio 5 times a week. I eat pretty good about 2/3 - 3/4 of the time. The one thing that I really don't do well is sleep.

I'm a computer programmer and I'm studying up on somethings and trying to get a few certifications.

typically, I get home from work and take a 30-45 minute power nap and then go work out. When I come home, I chill for a bit and then study away. I go to bed around 2ish and wake up around 6ish.

Do I need to get more sleep if I want to get into better shape?

ScottC
01-26-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm exercising pretty good. I'm lifting 2 days a week and doing cardio 5 times a week. I eat pretty good about 2/3 - 3/4 of the time. The one thing that I really don't do well is sleep.

Do I need to get more sleep if I want to get into better shape?
Yes, you need your sleep for the body to rest/recover...but, if your diet isn't good 100% of the time your loss of fat will be very slow. You may think it is your sleep, but your diet is the real problem.

Demonsbane
01-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Lack of sleep will inhibit hormone production, muscle growth and recovery. You will also be lagging in all your other tasks.

brettdavis4
01-26-2007, 12:05 PM
How much sleep should I get?

arnold23
01-26-2007, 12:43 PM
6-8 hours a night

Archangel_Lost
01-26-2007, 12:48 PM
It'll probably slow down your fatloss some. But it'll also make you feel like -crap-. If you're in a cal deficit and not getting sleep, your body will be quite pissed at you. Soreness will last longer, headaches, mental fog, etc.

ironman300lb
01-26-2007, 01:06 PM
It will slow down your progress some plus you will be quit tired all the time

lordofchaos
01-26-2007, 01:20 PM
How much sleep should I get?

depends on the person.. 6-9hrs is a good general recomendation although I know people who are ok with as little as 5 and some who require 10... the general curve is in the 6-9hrs a night range though that covers most people. Now, if you are one who needs 9hrs, don't try to get by with 6 because those guys on the internet said it was enough... I need 5-7 depending on the day or whatever to be good and I can't sleep beyond that (usually get 6hrs lately but on the night following my off days, I seem to be unable to get more than 5hrs of sleep, maybe because I get the extra hour the previous morning when I didn't get up to work out...) but I do know people who MUST have their 9hrs of sleep or they feel like crap, can't work out, can't focus, basically can't do anything... it all depends on your body's natural clock on that...

DAVO17
01-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Yes but its much harder, you NEED sleep, especially if you are physically active. Im up at all hours of the day and night, sometimes for 30 hours straight...and its bad for me. When im tired I overeat, get cranky, and am less likley to go to the gym.