PDA

View Full Version : Best way to fix eggs the night before?

TN94z
02-24-2010, 06:23 AM
Like the title states, what is the best way to cook eggs the night before? I don't have enough time in the mornings to cook them (I know it doesn't take that long). I get up at 4:45 and do cardio and by the time I do that and get ready for work, I barely have enough time to get everything together.

Any suggestions?

bobcat11
02-24-2010, 06:26 AM
hardboiled would be perfect

stschott
02-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Like the title states, what is the best way to cook eggs the night before? I don't have enough time in the mornings to cook them (I know it doesn't take that long). I get up at 4:45 and do cardio and by the time I do that and get ready for work, I barely have enough time to get everything together.

Any suggestions?

I hardboil one or two dozen each weekend and take a few to work with me each day.

Liftforlife7
02-24-2010, 06:34 AM
I also get up very early and usually am running out the door. I personally soft scramble 5 or 6 whited and 2 eggs with some lean ham, I do not allow it to get completly done so I can alot for the heating effect in the microwave. Always warms up great.

patouk
02-24-2010, 06:35 AM
Buy the pre-boiled eggs from the store.

LEX-UA
02-24-2010, 06:47 AM

^^^ WAY too expensive when you can boil them yourself. :p

TN94z
02-24-2010, 06:51 AM

I don't think I have seen these.

I was thinking that hardboiled would be the way to go. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks

ricka182
02-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Wake up earlier.. I'm up at 5:45, cooking omelette and bacon by 6:05, eating by 6:15, out the door at 6:30. But if that's too much, hard-boiled is the way to go. I can't imagine half-cooking an egg then nuking it in the A.M., when cooking an egg can be done in less than 2 minutes..

Rubicon4door
02-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Wake up earlier.. I'm up at 5:45, cooking omelette and bacon by 6:05, eating by 6:15, out the door at 6:30. But if that's too much, hard-boiled is the way to go. I can't imagine half-cooking an egg then nuking it in the A.M., when cooking an egg can be done in less than 2 minutes..

x2. I use to get up at 4:00 a.m. so I would have time to scramble 5-6 eggs + oatmeal. If not, as others have said, boil a few days worth and eat them on the way to work or at work.

mbieker1
02-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Hard-boiling, of course, makes eggs taste disgusting. But what you can do is scramble the eggs the night before, and leave them in the fridge. When you wake up, pour them into a bowl and nuke them on 60% power for 3 minutes. Voila.

ricka182
02-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Hard-boiling, of course, makes eggs taste disgusting. But what you can do is scramble the eggs the night before, and leave them in the fridge. When you wake up, pour them into a bowl and nuke them on 60% power for 3 minutes. Voila.

I like hard boiled egg whites, but I toss the yolk. I can only eat a 3-4 before my stomach says no mas... Another way to save time as mentioned is to prep the food the night before. While I cook dinner, I will sometimes scramble the eggs and cover with plastic wrap. Saves a few minutes in the A.M....just pour into a frying pan, add a little cheese and cover for 7 minutes on medium heat. Then sear on high heat to brown it up a bit, and a perfect omeltette in 10 minutes. And I use Oscar Meyer or Hormel pre-cooked bacon. 3 minutes on tin foil in the toaster over and it's perfect as well....

AbAbber2k
02-24-2010, 08:07 AM

Seriously. How hard is it to boil a dozen (or two) eggs?

TN94z
02-24-2010, 09:31 AM

Not an option really. I already get up at 4:45 and go to the gym to do cardio. If I get up any earlier, I won't be getting nearly enough sleep. I get up at 4:45 and hit the gym for cardio. I get home around 6:05. I have to get in the shower, get the kid up and ready, drop him off at school, and get to work at 7. Can you see my dilema? Then at night, I get home from work around 4:30. I go to the gym from 6-8 (includes travel), come home, eat supper, take a shower, wind down, and try to be in bed by 10. 10-4:45=6 hours 45 minutes of sleep (assuming that I go out as soon as I lay down and don't wake up during the night)....this isn't enough sleep as it is. So, either I drop the cardio in the morning so I can cook, or I fix it the night before.....there aren't enough hours in the day!!

It won't be as bad once it warms up because I planned on dropping the cardio in the mornings and doing HIIT down my road after I get home from work anyway. But right now it is still winter and the weather sucks.

knox07
02-24-2010, 09:42 AM
microwave

bunti2sm
02-24-2010, 10:01 AM
It won't be as bad once it warms up because I planned on dropping the cardio in the mornings and doing HIIT down my road after I get home from work anyway. But right now it is still winter and the weather sucks.

If you have time for cardio after work in warmer weather, why don't you have time to go to the gym in colder weather?

ricka182
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Not an option really. I already get up at 4:45 and go to the gym to do cardio. If I get up any earlier, I won't be getting nearly enough sleep. I get up at 4:45 and hit the gym for cardio. I get home around 6:05. I have to get in the shower, get the kid up and ready, drop him off at school, and get to work at 7. Can you see my dilema? Then at night, I get home from work around 4:30. I go to the gym from 6-8 (includes travel), come home, eat supper, take a shower, wind down, and try to be in bed by 10. 10-4:45=6 hours 45 minutes of sleep (assuming that I go out as soon as I lay down and don't wake up during the night)....this isn't enough sleep as it is. So, either I drop the cardio in the morning so I can cook, or I fix it the night before.....there aren't enough hours in the day!!

Winter where I live too.... you do have a busy morning.. try cooking them at night and reheating them in the A.M... or give up the eggs and have something else.. like an egg white, oats, and protein shake... There's a good way to start the day, everything you need in one easy drink, gone in 2 minutes.. I'm sure you got time for that...

Sizzler32
02-24-2010, 10:11 AM
hardboiled would be perfect

co-sign

TN94z
02-24-2010, 10:11 AM
If you have time for cardio after work in warmer weather, why don't you have time to go to the gym in colder weather?

Kids...you will see one day. When I can do HIIT at home on my road, then kid can play in the yard. It is too cold for them right now. And I have tried taking them to the gym. If there are no other kids there, then I am not going to drag him down there and sit and be bored to death while I am doing cardio.

Not to mention that HIIT takes, what, 25 minutes? So I would be driving to the gym and doing HIIT until about 5:00. Then I would have to turn around and come back home only to have to go back to the gym at 6...doesn't make sense. And I'm not going to sit at the gym for an hour waiting on my workout partner when I could be home doing things that need to be done.

mfitty9000
02-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Like others have said, hard boiled eggs are an option. Remember too, you don't necessarily have to eat eggs for breakfast. They are a common breakfast food because they are quick, and settle well for most people. But see what your stomach can handle. I can easily eat beef, chicken or big thick protein shakes and all kinds of other foods for breakfast. A chicken stir fry for example reheats much easier then eggs (I can never get eggs to reheat properly). Or a big morning protein shake with all kinds of things blended into it.

On really early days I dump everything in the blender top the night before, then stick it in the fridge. Morning comes around all I have to do is take it out, blend and pour, easy to drink on the road (easier then eating a stir fry dish while driving or something).

bunti2sm
02-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Kids...you will see one day. When I can do HIIT at home on my road, then kid can play in the yard. It is too cold for them right now. And I have tried taking them to the gym. If there are no other kids there, then I am not going to drag him down there and sit and be bored to death while I am doing cardio.

Not to mention that HIIT takes, what, 25 minutes? So I would be driving to the gym and doing HIIT until about 5:00. Then I would have to turn around and come back home only to have to go back to the gym at 6...doesn't make sense. And I'm not going to sit at the gym for an hour waiting on my workout partner when I could be home doing things that need to be done.

Understandable, was just wondering haha

mfitty9000
02-24-2010, 10:18 AM
One other tip, but sounds like you might not have time in the morning for these. I used to make them. I have a little condiment dish thats microwavable. About the width of an egg mcmuffin, height say 4" deep. I crack an egg inside, cover 90% the top with plastic wrap, leave a little room for it to breathe, then microwave the egg inside for 20 seconds or so. It cooks incredibly fast, and you can throw it onto an english muffin for a quick homemade egg mcmuffin. Add a slice or 2 of fat free processed cheese for a bit of extra protein. Double wide toaster, microwave 2 at a time, you can have 2 mcmuffins to take out the door within about 3 minutes, especially if you crack + cover the eggs then store them in the fridge the night before.

TN94z
02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Like others have said, hard boiled eggs are an option. Remember too, you don't necessarily have to eat eggs for breakfast. They are a common breakfast food because they are quick, and settle well for most people. But see what your stomach can handle. I can easily eat beef, chicken or big thick protein shakes and all kinds of other foods for breakfast. A chicken stir fry for example reheats much easier then eggs (I can never get eggs to reheat properly). Or a big morning protein shake with all kinds of things blended into it.

On really early days I dump everything in the blender top the night before, then stick it in the fridge. Morning comes around all I have to do is take it out, blend and pour, easy to drink on the road (easier then eating a stir fry dish while driving or something).

I have thought about just making a good protein shake in the mornings instead but I had always heard to get most protein from solid foods and not shakes. What kinds of things do you put in your shakes? I am trying to lose BF, just fyi

Understandable, was just wondering haha

No problem man....I should have put that in the original post because I knew it would come up...haha

mfitty9000
02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
I have thought about just making a good protein shake in the mornings instead but I had always heard to get most protein from solid foods and not shakes. What kinds of things do you put in your shakes? I am trying to lose BF, just fyi

No problem man....I should have put that in the original post because I knew it would come up...haha

1 cup skim or 1% milk
1 scoop whey
1/2 or 1 banana
1-2tbsp peanut butter
1/3-1/2 cup oats

Depends how many calories you want at breakfast, just add up everything you put inside, it might take some messing with portion sizes to get the right size breakfast.

Adam182
02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
You can always just microwave scrambled eggs. Only takes a few minutes tops.

TN94z
02-24-2010, 10:37 AM
You can always just microwave scrambled eggs. Only takes a few minutes tops.

Yeah, I haven't tried that because I was afraid they would really taste like crap

Adam182
02-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I haven't tried that because I was afraid they would really taste like crap

I thought the same as well at first. I don't always do it this way. Just put some flavor on it and it will taste fine. Easy clean up as well.

bloodinbloodout
02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
I also get up very early and usually am running out the door. I personally soft scramble 5 or 6 whited and 2 eggs with some lean ham, I do not allow it to get completly done so I can alot for the heating effect in the microwave. Always warms up great.

this one. i do this the night before, or make protein pancakes with lots of eggs. watch the heat up in the microwave though... sometimes those things get superheated in a few seconds and turn your eggs into a sponge-like material.

patouk
02-24-2010, 11:35 AM

Very true...i dont buy them.

patouk
02-24-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't think I have seen these.

I was thinking that hardboiled would be the way to go. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks

Yea, they are hard boiled eggs. They have already been de-shelled too. They are just packaged and ready to eat. You can pick up 12 for about $3.00 ish. A little steep but if you don't have time to boil them yourself, may want to look into them.

mbieker1
02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
this one. i do this the night before, or make protein pancakes with lots of eggs. watch the heat up in the microwave though... sometimes those things get superheated in a few seconds and turn your eggs into a sponge-like material.
That's why it's best to put it on a lower power setting. I do 4 whites and 2 yolks for 3 minutes at a setting of 6. I also stop midway through to stir them up a bit. Works great.

sarahkay_3
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Hard boil them.

bloodinbloodout
02-24-2010, 01:24 PM
That's why it's best to put it on a lower power setting. I do 4 whites and 2 yolks for 3 minutes at a setting of 6. I also stop midway through to stir them up a bit. Works great.

same.
its an art, really...

VolumeFreak
02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
egg pancake

blurped
02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Microwave Eggbeaters. You can add some pre-cut lean ham, turkey, add veggies, etc. I micro them for a minute, then add spinach, micro for another min and then add some fruit or meat to the cooked eggs. Prep & Cook time=less than 5 mins.

It's not as fresh as on the stove, but is pretty quick and easy.

BookMonkey
02-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Maybe I'm no longer a man by saying this but:

Quiche.