PDA

View Full Version : eating before bed

emerica1184
02-20-2010, 12:32 PM
i'm on a little cut to look lean for spring break. i usually eat a yogurt and drink 8oz of milk an hour before bed. is it bad to eat that soon before bed? i feel like it isn't helping but i'm unsure

Robb817
02-20-2010, 12:35 PM
If you are going to eat before bed the best thing that you can eat is a slow digesting protein like cottage cheese or a casein shake. Yogurt and milk isnt a bad snack before bed. Just make sure the yogur doesnt have too much sugar.

Good Luck

nyceboy
02-20-2010, 12:41 PM
If you are going to eat before bed the best thing that you can eat is a slow digesting protein like cottage cheese or a casein shake. Yogurt and milk isnt a bad snack before bed. Just make sure the yogur doesnt have too much sugar.

Good Luck

agreed on the slow digesting protein, although it doesn't really matter when you eat as long as it coincides with your daily macros.

MJFan1
02-20-2010, 12:55 PM
If you don't go over your calorie intake, then it's ok. Yogurt is a good choice to have before bed though. :D

fitlover
02-20-2010, 01:36 PM
It's good to eat something before bed because it helps fuel and repair your muscles during the time your body goes through the most recovery, which would be sleep. Choose some fats, little to no carbs, and protein - peanut butter and cottage cheese, or some sort of fish/chicken with a salad and EVOO is a good choice. Just keep it simple. Even while contest dieting, I have something before I go to bed, since I can't sleep if I go to bed with my tummy rumbling. :)

NeverYo
02-20-2010, 02:26 PM
You can try a low fat curd cheese it's like 20g proteins 3g carbs 2g fats per 100g.

snorkelman
02-20-2010, 02:31 PM
i'm on a little cut to look lean for spring break. i usually eat a yogurt and drink 8oz of milk an hour before bed. is it bad to eat that soon before bed? i feel like it isn't helping but i'm unsure

Bad for what? losing fat? In the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter what you eat before bed....it matters what else you ate all day long. If the food you are eating before bed puts you in a caloric surplus, then you will gain fat. If you are still in a caloric deficit even after you ate ANYTHING before bed, you will still lose fat.

Of course, having some type of protein before bed is a wise thing.

-TheKingPin-
02-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Bad for what? losing fat? In the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter what you eat before bed....it matters what else you ate all day long. If the food you are eating before bed puts you in a caloric surplus, then you will gain fat. If you are still in a caloric deficit even after you ate ANYTHING before bed, you will still lose fat.

Of course, having some type of protein before bed is a wise thing.

This... For the past 3 months I have eaten 1000-1500 kcal hr to half an hr before bed and have experienced no difference to when I had more kcal daytime. It is just more convenient for me..

Typical meal

Bowl of Quinoa with peas and chicken
Cottage Cheese
4 whole eggs
Peanut butter