PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogenated Oil in Ingredients

acs12
02-19-2010, 10:30 PM
If "hydrogenated oil" is listed in the ingredients, does this imply it is fully hydrogenated (thus not a trans fat), or that it is partially hydrogenated (and thus a trans fat)? This is on the label of some of my peanut butter but it says 0g trans fat (per serving) in the nutrition facts. I know that fully hydrogenated oil isn't the best type of fat for you, but it's still 100x better than trans fat, which I try to keep out of my diet completely.

If this is a trans fat, how much will that miniscule amount impact my health?

elmariachii
02-19-2010, 10:59 PM
they are not trans fat, there is some chemical reaction i forgot the name, that can hydrogenate the oil without causing the transforming to the Form Trans fat.

tagun
02-20-2010, 01:55 AM
I've always wondered that myself. You've got products that say partially hydrogenated fat (bad), fully hydrogenated fat (meh... Way better than the former tho, plus it's not a trans fat) or the ubiquitous hydrogenated fat (dunno whether bad or good).

I always thought these were partially hydrogenated but just didn't say so; I think any company that knows what sells better would want to be as straightforward as it can be and put FULLY hydrogenated fat on the label if the fat was such, not just "hydrogenated fat". This way they would risk potential customers avoiding the product because they weren't sure what it actually was.

acs12
02-20-2010, 08:36 AM
I've always wondered that myself. You've got products that say partially hydrogenated fat (bad), fully hydrogenated fat (meh... Way better than the former tho, plus it's not a trans fat) or the ubiquitous hydrogenated fat (dunno whether bad or good).

I always thought these were partially hydrogenated but just didn't say so; I think any company that knows what sells better would want to be as straightforward as it can be and put FULLY hydrogenated fat on the label if the fat was such, not just "hydrogenated fat". This way they would risk potential customers avoiding the product because they weren't sure what it actually was.

This makes sense. Still it seems to me really dishonest and just plain not true. I mean, if you say something is any descriptive word, you don't mean it's partially that thing.

tagun
02-20-2010, 09:28 AM
This makes sense. Still it seems to me really dishonest and just plain not true. I mean, if you say something is any descriptive word, you don't mean it's partially that thing.

Yup, but you know how evil those corporate swines are. :P Like the whole "you can say it's trans fat free as long as there's less than 0.5 grams of it in a serving". Which means there's actually trans fat in the product + serving sizes are usually like a third of the actual serving.

Those bastards! :)