PDA

View Full Version : White vs wheat...why complex carbs?

mlp_22531
02-15-2010, 09:30 AM
I've been reading conflicting information lately on the importance of complex carbs. Generally, everything I read seems to say you need to eat complex carbs, both while cutting and while bulking. But then every now and then I seem to read stuff that says it doesn't matter, all that matters is your total carb count at the macro level.

1. What would happen to me if I'm bulking and nailing perfectly my targeted ratios of 30:40:30 and my targeted total calories, but do it with all white bread, white rice, white pasta vs wheat bread, etc?

2. Same question...what I'm cutting and perfectly following a total calorie target and a ratio of 40:40:20 or whatever but I'm doing it all with white carbs vs wheat carbs?

The reason I ask is pretty simple. White bread, white rice, and white pasta taste great and the complex versions of each I have to force down my throat. I'll do the complex carbs if it matters, but my faith is shaken when I read that it doesn't really matter and I wonder why I'm choking down bad tasting food when I could be enjoying my meals.

in10city
02-15-2010, 09:43 AM
White ______ are all complex carbs. There are some fiber and other micronutrient differences that you would need to otherwise reconcile.

wnc817
02-15-2010, 09:47 AM
I've been reading conflicting information lately on the importance of complex carbs. Generally, everything I read seems to say you need to eat complex carbs, both while cutting and while bulking. But then every now and then I seem to read stuff that says it doesn't matter, all that matters is your total carb count at the macro level.

1. What would happen to me if I'm bulking and nailing perfectly my targeted ratios of 30:40:30 and my targeted total calories, but do it with all white bread, white rice, white pasta vs wheat bread, etc?

2. Same question...what I'm cutting and perfectly following a total calorie target and a ratio of 40:40:20 or whatever but I'm doing it all with white carbs vs wheat carbs?

The reason I ask is pretty simple. White bread, white rice, and white pasta taste great and the complex versions of each I have to force down my throat. I'll do the complex carbs if it matters, but my faith is shaken when I read that it doesn't really matter and I wonder why I'm choking down bad tasting food when I could be enjoying my meals.

Eating should be enjoyable, so eat what you like. I eat the whole-wheat stuff, but mainly because I like it. I would eat white bread sometimes if I wanted to.

Bulk_Vanderhuge
02-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Going off memory here, but i think the big thing is whole wheat bread is less refined. It has more fiber, vitamins, minerals..etc. White bread is very refined and loses most of the vitamins/minerals/fiber content. White bread causes a bigger disruption in your insulin levels. White break breaks down into sugar quicker and will be more likely converted into fat.... sorry for the fragmented knowledge :)

RealMenDeadLift
02-15-2010, 10:47 AM
White bread causes a bigger disruption in your insulin levels. White break breaks down into sugar quicker and will be more likely converted into fat.... sorry for the fragmented knowledge :)

Not really

mlp_22531
02-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Not really

This is the exact thing I'm talking about. The argument about white bread and white rice spiking insulin and causing you to store it as fat has scared me a little into eating complex carbs, but then I see countering arguments and I really feel confused. Do you have any links to studies or articles on the subject?

hooked4life
02-15-2010, 11:27 AM
This is the exact thing I'm talking about. The argument about white bread and white rice spiking insulin and causing you to store it as fat has scared me a little into eating complex carbs, but then I see countering arguments and I really feel confused. Do you have any links to studies or articles on the subject?

white bread and white rice are complex carbs. ~98% of the cals in white rice and brown rice are exactly the same.

RealMenDeadLift
02-15-2010, 11:32 AM
white bread and white rice are complex carbs. ~98% of the cals in white rice and brown rice are exactly the same.

this OP

Bulk_Vanderhuge
02-15-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't care enough to refute any claims, but everything I've seen says brown rice/whole wheat bread is healthier for you than white. Just google things like brown rice vs white rice. Lots of articles etc etc. Here's one:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness6.htm

"There are many types of bread. This is by no means an exhaustive list.
In the most basic form, grinding grains, adding water, and heating it produces whole grain flatbread. Whole grain bread is similar, only yeast is added so that the bread rises. White bread starts out similar to whole grain bread. The grain is processed, however. The hard, outer portion of the grain is stripped, removing fiber and many vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats that are naturally available. The remaining portion is ground to a fine powder, the enriched with a generic spray of vitamins and minerals. This is then used to bake the bread.
"
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=128

"The process that produces brown rice removes only the outermost layer, the hull, of the rice kernel and is the least damaging to its nutritional value. The complete milling and polishing that converts brown rice into white rice destroys 67% of the vitamin B3, 80% of the vitamin B1, 90% of the vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron, and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids. Fully milled and polished white rice is required to be "enriched" with vitamins B1, B3 and iron. "

You'll also find a lot of info on eating fast digesting carbs post workout to replenish Glycogen stores. One thing usually mentioned is white bread. There is nothing wrong with eating it as long as you stay within your calorie limits for the day or however you do it.

ezjax
02-15-2010, 03:28 PM
i dont know about you guys but when i eat white i get a crazy insulin response! my veins start popping out like crazy!

i dont know why you would go ____ vs _____ wheat digests slower and would probably satisfy hunger better for frequent use.

after workouts if you are bodybuilding you want to eat white bread or drink gatorade to be the ups guy instead of wheat bread being like the post office. from what i hear fiber stops you from absorbing the fast moving whey protein.

i am not an expert but from all i have read you dont want the insulin repsonse that you get from white carbs unless you are trying to deliver fast moving whey protein.

mlp_22531
02-15-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't care enough to refute any claims, but everything I've seen says brown rice/whole wheat bread is healthier for you than white. Just google things like brown rice vs white rice. Lots of articles etc etc. Here's one:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness6.htm

"There are many types of bread. This is by no means an exhaustive list.
In the most basic form, grinding grains, adding water, and heating it produces whole grain flatbread. Whole grain bread is similar, only yeast is added so that the bread rises. White bread starts out similar to whole grain bread. The grain is processed, however. The hard, outer portion of the grain is stripped, removing fiber and many vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats that are naturally available. The remaining portion is ground to a fine powder, the enriched with a generic spray of vitamins and minerals. This is then used to bake the bread.
"
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=128

"The process that produces brown rice removes only the outermost layer, the hull, of the rice kernel and is the least damaging to its nutritional value. The complete milling and polishing that converts brown rice into white rice destroys 67% of the vitamin B3, 80% of the vitamin B1, 90% of the vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron, and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids. Fully milled and polished white rice is required to be "enriched" with vitamins B1, B3 and iron. "

You'll also find a lot of info on eating fast digesting carbs post workout to replenish Glycogen stores. One thing usually mentioned is white bread. There is nothing wrong with eating it as long as you stay within your calorie limits for the day or however you do it.

I've read this same kind of material before and I believe it. The question, though, is about fat loss/gain. I'm not particularly concerned about whether or not I'm getting enough manganese, phosphorus, vitamin b1, etc. I'm 39 and I've eaten white bread, white rice, white pasta my whole life and I don't think I have any major nutrient deficits. What I'm concerned with is how it relates to fat loss/gain.

RealMenDeadLift
02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
I've read this same kind of material before and I believe it. The question, though, is about fat loss/gain. I'm not particularly concerned about whether or not I'm getting enough manganese, phosphorus, vitamin b1, etc. I'm 39 and I've eaten white bread, white rice, white pasta my whole life and I don't think I have any major nutrient deficits. What I'm concerned with is how it relates to fat loss/gain.

If the calories are the same, it wont make a difference.