PDA

View Full Version : Question about supplements, when/which??

spoonman123
02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
I usually take whey before and after lifting. However I noticed that the muscle milk powder has more calories and more protein so I thought I would try that out. Also I am a hard gainer so I was def thinking about buying some Weight Gainer powder. What do you guys think is best, I know some people do the Mass/Weight gainer separately like just sometime during the day to add calories. If that is the case, then what's good for pre/post workout powders?

SayNoToCardio
02-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Just whey with dextrose is fine post workout.

For a weight gainer, just eat food. Or make your own with oats, casein protein and eat a handful of nuts.

spoonman123
02-13-2010, 02:05 PM
thanks. so its best to avoid the mass gainer powders? i'm a harder gainer and i do eat alot but it seems like an easy way to add some more.

also, why not go with the other powders like muscle milk or whatnot since they have more calories and protein per unit?

franklin2
02-13-2010, 03:17 PM
thanks. so its best to avoid the mass gainer powders? i'm a harder gainer and i do eat alot but it seems like an easy way to add some more.

also, why not go with the other powders like muscle milk or whatnot since they have more calories and protein per unit?

Stop calling yourself a hardgainer.
"Death and life is in the power of the tongue" - cant remember exact scripture

Scooter4
02-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Stop calling yourself a hardgainer.
"Death and life is in the power of the tongue" - cant remember exact scripture

He is calling himself a hard gainer. He is not saying he can't gain weight.

Hard gainer = Naturally fast metabolism.

spoonman123
02-13-2010, 03:56 PM
He is calling himself a hard gainer. He is not saying he can't gain weight.

Hard gainer = Naturally fast metabolism.

^^

I am gaining weight...slowly. But yeah ive always had a super fast metabolism. Any help with my questions?

spoonman123
02-13-2010, 04:34 PM
actually I'm probably gonna avoid the weight gainer for now, unless I feel I really need it later on. And it seems like the consensus is whey+dextrose for post-workout. What about pre/workout drink? I usually take whey then too. 1. Do you guys recommend a certain kind of whey or it doesn't really matter 2. Why not the muscle milk powders and all the other variety thats out there? If so, when would those be best taken.

just trying to sort thru all of the stuff i've seen and the nutritional facts. right now I just use 1 scoop of the GNC 100% Whey stuff in those tubs for pre-workout and 2 scoops + table sugar (cause I don't have dextrose at the moment) for my post work out. But I saw the nutrition facts on the muscle milk powder and a few others, and they had more calories/protein which is why I brought this up...

thanks

Scooter4
02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Any help with my questions?

If Muscle Milk helps you hit your calorie goal, then drink it as a dietary supplement sometime during the day. It is an awful post-workout drink so stick to the whey you have for that.

Same goes for the weight gainer, it is only necessary if you can't get enough calories from real food during the day. Otherwise real food is always best. And drinking the whey pre-workout isn't necessary. Eat some kind of fruit that will digest quickly and give you energy throughout your workout.

spoonman123
02-13-2010, 06:26 PM
If Muscle Milk helps you hit your calorie goal, then drink it as a dietary supplement sometime during the day. It is an awful post-workout drink so stick to the whey you have for that.

Same goes for the weight gainer, it is only necessary if you can't get enough calories from real food during the day. Otherwise real food is always best. And drinking the whey pre-workout isn't necessary. Eat some kind of fruit that will digest quickly and give you energy throughout your workout.

Ok thanks, I'll just stick to whey for now. But going by this, /showpost.php?p=11356062&postcount=3088 fruit doesnt seem like enough before a workout.

Scooter4
02-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Ok thanks, I'll just stick to whey for now. But going by this, /showpost.php?p=11356062&postcount=3088 fruit doesnt seem like enough before a workout.

Eat what you have to to give you energy. If I workout first thing in the morning, I generally will just eat an apple, drink some water, and be on my way. In my opinion, consuming protein before working out isn't exactly necessary assuming the rest of your diet is in check.