PDA

View Full Version : Lose fat by lifting weights?

Star_Ruler
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
I've been on a sort of clean bulk now for around 6 months or so, with nice gains. I'm deciding it's time to cut the last 10lbs or so of fat, before continuing on my bulk, but I dread most forms of cardio (Rowing, cycling, running, etc).. nothing fires me up like lifting weights :S

So I would like to ask, is there a way I can formulate a routine that relies primarily on weightlifting, to lose fat? (maybe some kind of circuit weightlifting routine or something), I'm just curious to know, so please no flaming or none of that ****..

Thanks, all responses appreciated.

56kninja
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I've been on a sort of clean bulk now for around 6 months or so, with nice gains. I'm deciding it's time to cut the last 10lbs or so of fat, before continuing on my bulk, but I dread most forms of cardio (Rowing, cycling, running, etc).. nothing fires me up like lifting weights :S

So I would like to ask, is there a way I can formulate a routine that relies primarily on weightlifting, to lose fat? (maybe some kind of circuit weightlifting routine or something), I'm just curious to know, so please no flaming or none of that ****..

Thanks, all responses appreciated.

Diet is the most important. Exercise is a supplementary, and you use it as a tool to burn more calories. But if your diet is in check you will still lose weight.

So yes.

Star_Ruler
02-12-2010, 09:40 PM
@56kninja

And if i'm correct, by lowering calories, I will inhibit any real muscle gains, right?

BFJ
02-12-2010, 09:59 PM
for more of a "fat burning" weight training routine i would recommend trying a circuit where you do an upper body exercise, followed by lower, followed by core, followed by upper, by lower, etc. you get the idea, it doesn't have to go just like that, but the idea is to make you body pump that blood and breakdown substrate all over the place from one extreme of the body to another to make things as hard as possible for it. good luck and train hard.

LetZshake51
02-12-2010, 10:08 PM
you can gain muscle on a calorie deficit if your a n00b to all this

SayNoToCardio
02-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Just drop some calories.

McJimmie
02-13-2010, 12:46 AM
@56kninja

And if i'm correct, by lowering calories, I will inhibit any real muscle gains, right?

By lowering calories you will lose fat
By lifting heavy weights, you will maintain muscle mass (and maybe even continue to gain if your body has been used to the weights).

I lost 30kg in a year without cardio and maintained muscle mass by lifting heavy - see website attached to profile

Star_Ruler
02-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks Thanks guys for all the wonderful replies ;)

ChampX
02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
All that is needed to cut body fat is a caloric deficit. By no means is cardio necessary. You can keep lifting the way you are and adjust your diet to get that deficit. By doing cardio, you are just increasing the deficit (making results faster) or allowing yourself to eat more. I have friends who have very successful cuts with no cardio at all and no changes to training, they just adjust diet. I personally prefer to do cardio on a cut. Seems to work better for me. Do what you prefer. Stick to a diet and if you are not losing as much as you want, cut calories or throw in some cardio. Its your call.

Nivel
05-01-2010, 01:33 AM
In addition to what others said before, when you're on calorie deficit, make sure you have enough protein. That will minimize the process of losing muscle.

MAGnitude
05-01-2010, 04:55 AM
@56kninja

just make sure ur gettn 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight to keep or attain if lucky more muscle gains

d423
05-01-2010, 07:54 AM
most people dont like doing cardio, but do it to reach their goals. you don't have to like it, i mean, it's not going to be forever, just until you lose your 10 pounds right? so you could just do the cardio and get your results faster, or do it the slower way and eat fewer calories.