PDA

View Full Version : Why the need for a huge calorie surplus?

THUNDERPOWER
02-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't understand why we need to eat 500+ above maintenance. I don't even know WHY we can't just eat maintenance. I thought muscles needed mainly proteins? Also, if it needed energy (calories) to fix the muscles, couldn't it use fat (3,500 cals/pound) to do it?

Please explain. :)

dimasso69
02-10-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't understand why we need to eat 500+ above maintenance. I don't even know WHY we can't just eat maintenance. I thought muscles needed mainly proteins? Also, if it needed energy (calories) to fix the muscles, couldn't it use fat (3,500 cals/pound) to do it?

You kinda need to learn basic biology to understand..i don't have a complete in depth understanding yet, but i know a few things lol
1st Law of thermodynamics--> Energy cannot be created nor destroyed only changed from one form to another, with usable energy given off in the form of heat..when this is done in our body i believe the heat energy is referred to as TEF.

Your body's maitinence is the amount of energy(calories) it needs to function and maintain the amount of mass that the body contains at that time. If in a deflict, say 500cal deflict for a week straight, well the body is ingesting less energy than needed so energy will be destroyed, in this case in the form of fat and muscle, what ratio depends on many factors. If in a calorie surplus, say 500cals for a week straight, well there is more energy being ingested than being burned so energy must convert to another form, in this case fat and muscle which again depends on many factors.

Muscle can be created at a maitinence i believe if you "Recomp" but it takes MUCH longer than a steady bulk. And you're right the muscles mostly take in the proteins to utilize, but if there is not an abundance of energy (calorie excess) then the protein will be used as energy also and not stored in the muscles..but when there is more energy, the protein is the last to be utilized as energy, and when more energy than needed by the body is present well then the protein must go somewhere right? So it is stored away by the body.

I'm not a scientist but it's what i gathered from my basic understanding, correct me anyone if im wrong.

Insight
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM

Yes. You can build muscle on a caloric deficit as well. You're basically asking how to repartition nutrients from your fat cells to your muscle cells.

As I understand it, limitations in partitioning are what make the caloric surplus environment so conducive to muscle growth. Eating more food means that more energy can be directed to your muscle cells - as well as your fat cells. Furthermore, there's a point at which excess energy directed to your muscle cells seems to result in no additional protein synthesis. This is controlled by genetics, hormones, drugs, etc.

I warn you that I might have some details of the above a bit off, but from what I've read from folks like Lyle McDonald that's about the gist of it. This also explains why underweight teenagers on Starting Strength do so well in an extremely hypercaloric environment - they're deconditioned, underweight, and going for puberty, so their body is primed for muscle growth. If you're an advanced trainee in his 30's who's not on steroids, on the other hand, additional food beyond a certain point will likely just make you fat.

This is as I understand it, and supposedly insulin resistance plays a factor as well -- without going into too much detail, it means that people who are fat will have an easier time putting on muscle while cutting than those who are very lean.

Brad155
02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
You kinda need to learn basic biology to understand..i don't have a complete in depth understanding yet, but i know a few things lol
1st Law of thermodynamics--> Energy cannot be created nor destroyed only changed from one form to another, with usable energy given off in the form of heat..when this is done in our body i believe the heat energy is referred to as TEF.

Your body's maitinence is the amount of energy(calories) it needs to function and maintain the amount of mass that the body contains at that time. If in a deflict, say 500cal deflict for a week straight, well the body is ingesting less energy than needed so energy will be destroyed, in this case in the form of fat and muscle, what ratio depends on many factors. If in a calorie surplus, say 500cals for a week straight, well there is more energy being ingested than being burned so energy must convert to another form, in this case fat and muscle which again depends on many factors.

Muscle can be created at a maitinence i believe if you "Recomp" but it takes MUCH longer than a steady bulk. And you're right the muscles mostly take in the proteins to utilize, but if there is not an abundance of energy (calorie excess) then the protein will be used as energy also and not stored in the muscles..but when there is more energy, the protein is the last to be utilized as energy, and when more energy than needed by the body is present well then the protein must go somewhere right? So it is stored away by the body.

I'm not a scientist but it's what i gathered from my basic understanding, correct me anyone if im wrong.

que?

dimasso69
02-10-2010, 05:24 PM
que?

er sorry wrong wording..the fat/muscle is utilized as energy it's not destroyed the fat/muscle goes away because it's utilized as energy is what i meant.